Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Is there a "Gay" gene?

Gomar

I think the talk of "there has always been gay men" is a little skewed. While I believe that there has been gay men forever, let's not confuse sexual urges to being gay. Big difference. Being attracted to the same sex and willing to have sex with the same sex is not the same. There are many acts of sex that have nothing to do with "preference". Rape, beastiality and promiscuity are sexual urges gone wild, not to be confused with homosexuality.

I think there have always been gay men and that the evidence for it is overwhelming. To be sure there are cultural twists on it, especially the fact that most cultures don't make the distinction but instead classify you other ways, and are unaware of the existence of the vast majority of gays who hide it.

• Like 1

I know a family from a smaller town in central Vietnam with eight boys (no girls) where the father is gay and all eight sons are gay. Nowadays they are open about it. That would seem an argument for a gay gene, and there is obviously something special here, but geneticists would long ago have found it if there really were such a thing.

I am unsure if there is a "gay" gene, however, I feel as though someone who is attracted to a member of their own sex is not a choice but a desire. If we get our hormones from our parents, then there is a genetic line. I think that we are all sexual beings. The desire stems from our hormones. If the levels of our hormones are tipped one way or another, it dictates our desire for the opposite sex or the same sex. Also, there are some folks who can be attracted to both sexes. That comes with hormones as well. Example... You are a man who likes men normally. However, you meet a girl who likes men but you feel an attraction to her. How can that be if you have always been attracted to men? Well, simple....hormones are different in that woman that attract you. There really isn't gay or straight....in my opinion. I think we are all sexually attracted to both, however, it may or not be suppressed. Society has dictated far too long the ideas of what is right and what is wrong. Acceptance is key.

But another point to be made is preference. I, myself, am not attracted to blonde men. No idea why. I also am not attracted to red headed men. Perhaps I have not met one that has stirred my hormone pot. But I'm not anti blonde or anti ginger. I see men that are attractive that have blonde hair....but it doesn't turn me on....so to say.

So, in essence, we, as humans, haven't arrived at the reasons for the "laws of attraction". What is known, however, is that analyzing it is only fodder for the scientifically inclined. In the meantime, I'm off to have a cup of my brunette husband......that's my current choice and has been for 16 years.

Good job OP.

• Like 1

Interesting point Gomar. I know a woman in her 30's that was married. She went through a divorce and started having relations with woman.

But after a number of years she went back to dating men. Also I might add. I have a 2nd cousin in his 20's that is gay. His mother and father

went through a divorce when he was a teen. I've always wondered if a traumatic experience that some people go through will affect them that way.

• Like 1

They found that the more sons a woman had, the higher the likely hood that one of the much later sons would be gay. This suggest hormones washing over a fetus can have something to do with it.

This can't be the case with my 2nd cousin because he's the oldest and just has one younger brother who isn't gay.

I know a woman in her 30's that was married. She went through a divorce and started having relations with woman.

But after a number of years she went back to dating men. Also I might add. I have a 2nd cousin in his 20's that is gay. His mother and father

went through a divorce when he was a teen. I've always wondered if a traumatic experience that some people go through will affect them that way.

That is the same as saying that homosexuality can be caused by an interruption in the psychic and affective development of the personality. Which actually means that gay people would be affected by a sort of mental or emotional retardation. Finally it's the old story of the unresolved Oedipus complex.

Researches were done, but no statistical evidence of that was ever found.

Below what the most distinguished scientific institutions stated (source: Wikipedia):

The American Academy of Pediatrics stated in Pediatrics in 2004:

“Sexual orientation probably is not determined by any one factor but by a combination of genetic, hormonal, and environmental influences. In recent decades, biologically based theories have been favored by experts. [...] Although there continues to be controversy and uncertainty as to the genesis of the variety of human sexual orientations, there is no scientific evidence that abnormal parenting, sexual abuse, or other adverse life events influence sexual orientation. Current knowledge suggests that sexual orientation is usually established during early childhood".

The American Psychological Association, American Psychiatric Association, and National Association of Social Workers stated in 2006:

"Currently, there is no scientific consensus about the specific factors that cause an individual to become heterosexual, homosexual, or bisexual—including possible biological, psychological, or social effects of the parents' sexual orientation. However, the available evidence indicates that the vast majority of lesbian and gay adults were raised by heterosexual parents and the vast majority of children raised by lesbian and gay parents eventually grow up to be heterosexual".

The Royal College of Psychiatrists stated in 2007:

"Despite almost a century of psychoanalytic and psychological speculation, there is no substantive evidence to support the suggestion that the nature of parenting or early childhood experiences play any role in the formation of a person's fundamental heterosexual or homosexual orientation. It would appear that sexual orientation is biological in nature, determined by a complex interplay of genetic factors and the early uterine environment. Sexual orientation is therefore not a choice".

Really interesting the result of a 2010 study:

Garcia-Falgueras and Swaab state in the abstract of their 2010 study, "The fetal brain develops during the intrauterine period in the male direction through a direct action of testosterone on the developing nerve cells, or in the female direction through the absence of this hormone surge. In this way, our gender identity (the conviction of belonging to the male or female gender) and sexual orientation are programmed or organized into our brain structures when we are still in the womb. There is no indication that social environment after birth has an effect on gender identity or sexual orientation".

The abstract was published in the Endocrine Development journal.

Edited by Re di Spade
  • Like 1

That is the same as saying that homosexuality can be caused by an interruption in the psychic and affective development of the personality. Which actually means that gay people would be affected by a sort of mental or emotional retardation. Finally it's the old story of the unresolved Oedipus complex.

Researches were done, but no statistical evidence of that was ever found.

Below what the most distinguished scientific institutions stated (source: Wikipedia):

The American Academy of Pediatrics stated in Pediatrics in 2004:

“Sexual orientation probably is not determined by any one factor but by a combination of genetic, hormonal, and environmental influences. In recent decades, biologically based theories have been favored by experts. [...] Although there continues to be controversy and uncertainty as to the genesis of the variety of human sexual orientations, there is no scientific evidence that abnormal parenting, sexual abuse, or other adverse life events influence sexual orientation. Current knowledge suggests that sexual orientation is usually established during early childhood".

The American Psychological Association, American Psychiatric Association, and National Association of Social Workers stated in 2006:

"Currently, there is no scientific consensus about the specific factors that cause an individual to become heterosexual, homosexual, or bisexual—including possible biological, psychological, or social effects of the parents' sexual orientation. However, the available evidence indicates that the vast majority of lesbian and gay adults were raised by heterosexual parents and the vast majority of children raised by lesbian and gay parents eventually grow up to be heterosexual".

The Royal College of Psychiatrists stated in 2007:

"Despite almost a century of psychoanalytic and psychological speculation, there is no substantive evidence to support the suggestion that the nature of parenting or early childhood experiences play any role in the formation of a person's fundamental heterosexual or homosexual orientation. It would appear that sexual orientation is biological in nature, determined by a complex interplay of genetic factors and the early uterine environment. Sexual orientation is therefore not a choice".

Really interesting the result of a 2010 study:

Garcia-Falgueras and Swaab state in the abstract of their 2010 study, "The fetal brain develops during the intrauterine period in the male direction through a direct action of testosterone on the developing nerve cells, or in the female direction through the absence of this hormone surge. In this way, our gender identity (the conviction of belonging to the male or female gender) and sexual orientation are programmed or organized into our brain structures when we are still in the womb. There is no indication that social environment after birth has an effect on gender identity or sexual orientation".

The abstract was published in the Endocrine Development journal.

Just because there's no evidence doesn't mean it isn't the cause. Just because you can't see the wind doesn't mean it's isn't there.

However it could be multiple reasons why some people become homosexual. After all, People will steal for multiple reasons.

Their hungry, For money, to support a habit (etc)

• Like 2

Just because there's no evidence doesn't mean it isn't the cause. Just because you can't see the wind doesn't mean it's isn't there.

If there was a cause and effect correlation between parental divorce and homosexuality, there would necessarily be statistical evidence.

The wind is a meteorological phenomenon known and scientifically proven, strange comparison...

However it could be multiple reasons why some people become homosexual. After all, People will steal for multiple reasons.

Their hungry, For money, to support a habit (etc)

People is, don't become homosexual.

Thank you for likening homosexuality to theft.

Edited by Re di Spade
  • Like 1

If there was a cause and effect correlation between parental divorce and homosexuality, there would necessarily be statistical evidence.

The wind is a meteorological phenomenon known and scientifically proven, strange comparison...

People is, don't become homosexual.

Thank you for likening homosexuality to theft.

I was just making a point. Don't be so High Maintenance.

Is there a "Gay" gene?

Well the first thing I think of is. If your genes/jeans are to tight, you would think there is. LOL All kidding aside

IMHO I believe it is more of a submissive or dominate effect. If you are male and overly dominate? You may want to dominate men and/or women or both. But if you are submissive? You may want to be dominated by a male or female or both.

If you are a dominate female? you may want to only dominate female, or dominate submissive men or both. A gay gene? can be a very easy excuse for your over dominance or submissiveness feelings even if it doesn't exist. To each there own. I prefer females.

Yea sure he's being high maintenance.

Women who prefer women can still want a family and so on and don't have to get an erection to perform, so they can meet a man who meets their standards other ways and never let on.

Gay men do this too using fantasies; it all depends on the man and the sort of social pressure he is under. The British Stuarts produced broods of kids in spite of flamboyant preference for men. They "did their duty."

Then there are some who truly are attracted to both sexes. They have a "choice" in such things but interestingly when it is possible tend to have mostly same-sex affairs (I think probably at least with men because partners are easier to come by).

you made your point in an insulting manner. don't get snippy when people tell you that.

• Like 2

IMO, being gay is part of the person and they are who they are, an inborn trait the person can't get rid of. The unsuccessful results of gay conversion therapies are evidence of homosexuality cannot be cured. It's not a disease nor a disorder and whoever believes it is so are incorrect. Genes is the foundation of who we are, including genes that determine sexual orientation. I dislike ignorance on the subject of being gay, it's not a choice of lifestyle, since the person who is gay knows they are who they are.

• Like 1

being gay, it's not a choice of lifestyle, since the person who is gay knows they are who they are.

Then how do you explain the woman I mentioned in another post that went from straight to lesbian then straight again?

• Like 2

Can you say "anecdote" and not "data"? That is ONE PERSON - not hardly something you could base an entire study on!!

Looking at animals (rats and monkeys, specifically), there is always a steady percentage that demonstrate homosexual behaviors. As food or habitable environment (cages/pens) shrink, larger and larger percentages of individuals demonstrate these behaviors. When marked, and then the food/area increases again, the percentage drops again. When AGAIN hit by lack of food/area, the same individuals that "turned gay" before did it again. There is also a percentage of individuals that NEVER demonstrate homosexual behaviors.

To draw a conclusion from this, there are some born gay, some born straight - and they NEVER drop their proclivity. There is also a LARGE percentage that are "on the fence" and are either gay or straight depending upon the availability of food/habitat.

This would lead a researcher to draw the conclusion that some are hard-wired to be gay - and some to be straight - and they NEVER vary. There are also those that CAN change to prevent the species from extinction.

If a person is on the fence, they MAY be able to find either or both genders interesting. There are also those that DO choose the gay lifestyle - to rebel against their parents, their upbringing, or to be "naughty." Likewise, it is well documented that SOME gay folks live straight lives - hating every moment - until they either have an epiphany or can't take it any more, and then "suddenly become" gay (when they were gay all along).

Just my ten cents, because my two cents are free.

• Like 1

Then how do you explain the woman I mentioned in another post that went from straight to lesbian then straight again?

She either is what the LGBT community calls "bicurious", someone who identifies as "straight" with homosexual tendencies proves the person is indeed on the line of bisexuality...or has lived a straight life while she has romantic or sexual feelings for women. You can't be just straight AND gay, although one can be in a straight relationship as well in a same-sex relationship. People variously call themselves "gay", "straight" and "bisexual", the term "bicurious" indicates a person is curious on what their real sexual orientation is.

Edited by Mike D boy
  • Like 1

Is there a gene that makes me prefer cashews over pistachios, the call of a chickadee over a robin or the colour red over blue?

I think that people overtend to think of the reasons 'why'. We just are who we are for a multitude of reasons that can't get nailed down to just one cause. In this case 'genes'.

Even if there is a cause, I don't think that it matters.

• Like 2

She either is what the LGBT community calls "bicurious", someone who identifies as "straight" with homosexual tendencies proves the person is indeed on the line of bisexuality...or has lived a straight life while she has romantic or sexual feelings for women. You can't be just straight AND gay, although one can be in a straight relationship as well in a same-sex relationship. People variously call themselves "gay", "straight" and "bisexual", the term "bicurious" indicates a person is curious on what their real sexual orientation is.

I figured she was angry with men because she felt betrayed in her relationship and felt women would understand each other.

But her female lover betrayed her as well so I assumed she decided gender wasn't the case, it was more personality regardless

of one's gender. So she went back to men searching for loyalty.

i would say then that you are making far, far too many assumptions about the sexual preferences of someone you don't even appear to know that well. that you are trying to apply this one thing to larger groups of people is even worse.

• Like 1

Gamrat: I apologize in advance, because my comparison of alcoholism to same-sex attraction may be offensive to you. It's not my intention to be offensive or conscending in any way.

I personally lean toward the "born that way" school of thought. I'm convinced I was born an alcoholic. One of my earliest memories is of sneaking into the garage after my Dad and his buddies had had an afternoon of drinking beer. I'd go can-to-can, guzzling the leftovers, hoping one of the guys had left a half-finished beer. Around the time I hit puberty my desire for alcohol really stepped up. After learning in Science class how wine was made, I began making wine at home, hiding the equipment behind the furniture in the basement. I soon became a high school bootlegger of sorts, even stealing bottles of communion wine from the priests to sell to friends.

As an adult, I tried to limit my drinking by restricting myself to just one 12-pack of beer per day, though on weekends I allowed myself to do some serious drinking. Later I switched to cheap gin, as it was less expensive. Again, I set a limit of just one pint of gin per day; that lasted about two weeks, when I upped my limit to 1 1/2 pints. After a while it became apparent that my limits were actually limitless. Some of my drinking buddies would polish off an entire fifth of Jack Daniels in just a few hours. None of them would be described as "the picture of health"; one guy had a heart attack and died when he was only 28 years old.

I had a "revelation" that allowed me to see where my life was going. By the grace of God, I've been drug- and alcohol- free for almost 30 years; and although I'm now a born-again Christian, I will always be an alcoholic. The desire for alcohol will always be there, though most days I don't give it a second thought.

The book of Galatians, Chapter 5, verses 19-21 has a list of behaviors, followed by a warning that "those who practice such things will not inherit the kingdom of God." I now understand why that list exists. Each of those behaviors has the common component of being "limitless". The craving is never satisfied by having "more". There is only a continual downward spiral.

By the grace of grace of God I've been removed from that downward spiral, and now I do indeed have a choice. My alcoholism is no longer in charge of my life.

I believe most, if not all of us, are "born that way", each in our own way. Most people won't reach the depths that I did, but for anyone who finds that their lifestyle is not what you expected it to be, I encourage you to look into Jesus' claim that "the truth will set you free".

You were born with overactive neurotransmitters.It worked fine for your ancestors to learn what gave the most pleasure, like a piece of fruit to eat, or to reproduce.To put it simply, you were chasing the high that your Brain produces.The more you drank, the more you are chasing that high of the first sip.The ancient Sumerians were the first to brew Beer.Since then some people can get by with a few, while others have a problem with it.

Here's the science if interested?

IMO, being gay is part of the person and they are who they are, an inborn trait the person can't get rid of. The unsuccessful results of gay conversion therapies are evidence of homosexuality cannot be cured. It's not a disease nor a disorder and whoever believes it is so are incorrect. Genes is the foundation of who we are, including genes that determine sexual orientation. I dislike ignorance on the subject of being gay, it's not a choice of lifestyle, since the person who is gay knows they are who they are.

In spite of everything you say being true, I don't thing gayness is entirely hereditary and certainly not attributable to a single gene. It appears to be much more complicated and have a gazillion variations.

I see no reason why someone could not be bisexual meaning they like men and women about the same amount. We can say that someone who seems to be that way is really one or another, but I would be inclined to take it at face value. "Bicurious" is to me a new concept, and it strikes a chord with me. When I was younger I would imagine sex with both men and women at the same time, or with women, but not with just men. Still I have a nagging suspicion that I kept women in my fantasies just to play safe. Of course now at my age and with my health and vows it is not relevant.