Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Is there a "Gay" gene?

Gomar

I see no reason why someone could not be bisexual meaning they like men and women about the same amount. We can say that someone who seems to be that way is really one or another, but I would be inclined to take it at face value. "Bicurious" is to me a new concept, and it strikes a chord with me. When I was younger I would imagine sex with both men and women at the same time, or with women, but not with just men. Still I have a nagging suspicion that I kept women in my fantasies just to play safe. Of course now at my age and with my health and vows it is not relevant.

i am bisexual. Both sexes equally work for me *grins*

She either is what the LGBT community calls "bicurious", someone who identifies as "straight" with homosexual tendencies proves the person is indeed on the line of bisexuality...or has lived a straight life while she has romantic or sexual feelings for women. You can't be just straight AND gay, although one can be in a straight relationship as well in a same-sex relationship. People variously call themselves "gay", "straight" and "bisexual", the term "bicurious" indicates a person is curious on what their real sexual orientation is.

Can someone be Bicurious for a decade?

Like Hawkins, I know 2 women who were straight, then had kids, the went gay for years, then went back to their husbands and kids. I think one was for 5 years and the other was 4 years.

Edited by DieChecker
  • Like 1

Can you say "anecdote" and not "data"? That is ONE PERSON - not hardly something you could base an entire study on!!

At what point does an anecdote become a statistic? Maybe when 1 in 10 people know someone that experienced such? Maybe less, maybe more?

Looking at animals (rats and monkeys, specifically), there is always a steady percentage that demonstrate homosexual behaviors. As food or habitable environment (cages/pens) shrink, larger and larger percentages of individuals demonstrate these behaviors. When marked, and then the food/area increases again, the percentage drops again. When AGAIN hit by lack of food/area, the same individuals that "turned gay" before did it again. There is also a percentage of individuals that NEVER demonstrate homosexual behaviors.

I think I am falling in with this theory, that there is a genetic element, but to what degree it is responsible is yet to be determined. And environmental factors play some part. Clearly it is not a simple formula, and not everyone fits into the same formula.

If a person is on the fence, they MAY be able to find either or both genders interesting. There are also those that DO choose the gay lifestyle - to rebel against their parents, their upbringing, or to be "naughty." Likewise, it is well documented that SOME gay folks live straight lives - hating every moment - until they either have an epiphany or can't take it any more, and then "suddenly become" gay (when they were gay all along).

I agree here that Some people do Choose to live a gay lifestyle. Perhaps those people are not "Gay"? But for every religious, political and ethical reason, I can't see why they would not count as Gay. Some people choose to be gay and some are born that way. I suppose it is the percentages that some people might want to fight over.

Edited by DieChecker

If there was a cause and effect correlation between parental divorce and homosexuality, there would necessarily be statistical evidence.

I wasn't able to find such a study to prove or disprove that idea. But I think probably it is considered a very rude thing to investigate, and so it is probably unlikely to be measured anytime soon.

People is, don't become homosexual.

Some do. For all practical purposes.

Interesting point Gomar. I know a woman in her 30's that was married. She went through a divorce and started having relations with woman.

But after a number of years she went back to dating men. Also I might add. I have a 2nd cousin in his 20's that is gay. His mother and father

went through a divorce when he was a teen. I've always wondered if a traumatic experience that some people go through will affect them that way.

I know 2 women that basically did the same thing. Got married had kids and then left with a woman lover for several years, then came back to their husband and kids.

In both cases the woman lover was totally ticked off and made the returned woman's life hard for several years. A woman spurred, I guess.

Some will say these women are bisexual, and they may be right, but I just wonder due to this not being experimentation, but years as one sexuality, and then years again as another sexuality.

Read the paper. It's epigenetic expression. It's not a change in DNA. That's the point. It is inheritable without being a genetic change.

Epigenetic is probably a big part of it. I don't think the "cause" for lack of a better term, is well understood yet.

One thing that I've read is that the gay trait is activated (sometimes?) when there is a need for a person to help with the clan/family/village and yet who is not a sexual competitor in the imperative to have children. I don't know how researched that idea is, but it has kind of stuck with me.

so is it a fad with animals too? tons of homosexual activity in the animal world.

Most homosexual activies in animals has a known biological funtion. Only in apes, I believe, is homosexuality present with no known biological function.

Homosexuality dates back farther than i care to mention. In has been going on for Centuries. It was common, if not practical, for the ancient Greeks to practice homosexuality. It was widely accepted. Homosexuality has been going on for over 2,000 years. You make some interesting points but that one just caught my eye as surprising.

I think almost every single example of "gay" Greeks in ancient times would actually be considered bisexual, since they generally desired men and women.

I know 2 women that basically did the same thing. Got married had kids and then left with a woman lover for several years, then came back to their husband and kids.

In both cases the woman lover was totally ticked off and made the returned woman's life hard for several years. A woman spurred, I guess.

Some will say these women are bisexual, and they may be right, but I just wonder due to this not being experimentation, but years as one sexuality, and then years again as another sexuality.

Well it could be one of many reasons why people become gay. Bad relationships, born a certain gender but has more hormones of the opposite gender. The list goes on.

Most homosexual activies in animals has a known biological funtion.

If by know "biological function" you mean "hump the everlasting sh!+ out of the same sex for fun", then yes, there are k own biological functions.

I also feel that it is worth noting that such terms as homosexual, bisexual, straight, etc, are words created to describe people and their actions and relationships, not those of other species.

Edited by Imaginarynumber1

There well may be or have been during most of human history some sort of function for homosexuals in the community. Often they are shamans or something of the sort, or a male the other males can trust alone with the women (providing protection when humans were more sexually dimorphous).

In my experience homosexuals tend to have a very different perspective too, adding to the wisdom of the group.

• Like 1

If by know "biological function" you mean "hump the everlasting sh!+ out of the same sex for fun", then yes, there are k own biological functions.

I also feel that it is worth noting that such terms as homosexual, bisexual, straight, etc, are words created to describe people and their actions and relationships, not those of other species.

Now that I'm attuned, I have figured out that a lot of gay guys and lesbians do exist in Vietnam, not just transsexuals (who have long been an accepted element in the culture). The pressure to continue the family line because of beliefs about afterlife and descendants is immense, so they almost always until recently got married and had children, but still did things on the side.

Vietnam is still a male society and that means what it means almost everywhere -- there is a double standard -- men can play around but women can't. (It also means brothers will act with violence if their sister is foolish but don't care what their other brothers do).

Most men are of course uninterested, and if they do something they use being drunk as an excuse and limit what they do to playing the "man" role.

In my earliest childhood memories I have always been attracted to men. I grew up with both male and female influences. I would go hunting & fishing with the men and helped in the kitchen & soforth with the women. As kids of course we all played the show me yours I'll show you mine game, doctor, spin the bottle and so on. In school I did get bullied because they knew I was different. I would fight back ( did no good) I even had a girl friend here and there. Once I reached eighth grade I met friends who where like me and we had some really great times together (not sexually) well some...... I came out to everyone around fourteen years old.

I have an older brother and sister and also a younger brother by my dad. Three different mothers Mine would be mother number two. All my siblings are straight. We grew up seperatly.

At one point in my early twenties I met a girl and we hit it off at first the sex was great but then I found I had to imagine sex with men in order to get it and keep it up. It was a very short romance. She knew what she was getting into before we got together so it was no surprise.

I think my background is interesting and relevant to the discussion.

I was born gay there is no doubt in my mind.

Personally I feel it's a hormonal in the womb thing.

When it comes down to it there are so many variances in our sexual world who knows where these desires come from. What turns one person on totally discust onother.

Edited by mfrmboy
  • Like 3

In my earliest childhood memories I have always been attracted to men. I grew up with both male and female influences. I would go hunting & fishing with the men and helped in the kitchen & soforth with the women. As kids of course we all played the show me yours I'll show you mine game, doctor, spin the bottle and so on. In school I did get bullied because they knew I was different. I would fight back ( did no good) I even had a girl friend here and there. Once I reached eighth grade I met friends who where like me and we had some really great times together (not sexually) well some...... I came out to everyone around fourteen years old.

I have an older brother and sister and also a younger brother by my dad. Three different mothers Mine would be mother number two. All my siblings are straight. We grew up seperatly.

At one point in my early twenties I met a girl and we hit it off at first the sex was great but then I found I had to imagine sex with men in order to get it and keep it up. It was a very short romance. She knew what she was getting into before we got together so it was no surprise.

I think my background is interesting and relevant to the discussion.

I was born gay there is no doubt in my mind.

Personally I feel it's a hormonal in the womb thing.

When it comes down to it there are so many variances in our sexual world who knows where these desires come from. What turns one person on totally discust onother.

Maybe you was born with more estrogen then testosterone. But then that's just an educated guess on my part.

My 2nd cousin is gay. He has more female friends then male. I guess he relates to them better. But has a male partner.

i would say then that you are making far, far too many assumptions about the sexual preferences of someone you don't even appear to know that well. that you are trying to apply this one thing to larger groups of people is even worse.

Actually I know her well since her male cousin married my sister. I live in a small community where everyone knows each other.

It would seem to me you're making assumptions about strangers by the few post they make.

Maybe you was born with more estrogen then testosterone. But then that's just an educated guess on my part.

My 2nd cousin is gay. He has more female friends then male. I guess he relates to them better. But has a male partner.

I am not femine....... But I am a good dancer and can decorate with the best of them. I have both male and female friends however many of my female friends are lesbians.

Fun? You think penguins, dragonflies, hyenas, dogs, bison and dogs do it for fun? Usually it is a result of hormones, not fun.

Fun? You think penguins, dragonflies, hyenas, dogs, bison and dogs do it for fun? Usually it is a result of hormones, not fun.

So dolphins engage in gay blowhole and snout sex orgies cause of hormones? Plenty of animals have recreational sex.

I suggest some study on the Bonobo Chimpanzee, who engage in frequent sexual activities in order to form group bonds, not for procreation. In fact, alot of their habits mirror ours in a very uncanny way.

• Like 2

every family has a gay person in it. We all have a gay gene. :D

• Like 1

So dolphins engage in gay blowhole and snout sex orgies cause of hormones? Plenty of animals have recreational sex.

Actually its just Dolphins and Humans as far as we know

Actually its just Dolphins and Humans as far as we know

A 2006 Danish Animal Ethics Council report[36] which examined current knowledge of animal sexuality in the context of legal queries concerning sexual acts by humans, has the following comments, primarily related to domestically common animals:

Even though the evolution-related purpose of mating can be said to be reproduction, it is not actually the creating of offspring which originally causes them to mate. It is probable that they mate because they are motivated for the actual copulation, and because this is connected with a positive experience. It is therefore reasonable to assume that there is some form of pleasure or satisfaction connected with the act. This assumption is confirmed by the behaviour of males, who in the case of many species are prepared to work to get access to female animals, especially if the female animal is in oestrus, and males who for breeding purposes are used to
become very eager, when the equipment they associate with the collection is taken out.

There is nothing in
' anatomy or physiology that contradicts that
and mating is able to be a positive experience. For instance, the clitoris acts in the same way as with women, and scientific studies have shown that the success of reproduction is improved by stimulation of clitoris on (among other species) cows and mares in connection with insemination, because it improves the transportation of the sperm due to contractions of the inner genitalia. This probably also concerns female animals of other animal species, and contractions in the inner genitals are seen e.g. also during orgasm for women. It is therefore reasonable to assume that sexual intercourse may be linked with a positive experience for female animals.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Animal_sexual_behaviour#Sex_for_pleasure

There is no reason to assume that just primates and dolphins have recreational sex. In fact, there is a wealth of information to the contrary. While we may not know how much pleasure an animal gains for sexual activity, it cannot be denied that the all engage in it. Constantly.

I suggest some study on the Bonobo Chimpanzee, who engage in frequent sexual activities in order to form group bonds, not for procreation. In fact, alot of their habits mirror ours in a very uncanny way.

They are our closest living relative.

P. paniscus (Bonobos) are much, much less viloent that P. troglodytes. (Chimpanzees)

They are our closest living relative.

P. paniscus (Bonobos) are much, much less viloent that P. troglodytes. (Chimpanzees)

Precisely what I was hinting at. Now with that, I will say I can't stand P. troglodytes. Vicious little b******* force me to consider that blood lust may well be in our very being.

• Like 1

There is no reason to assume that just primates and dolphins have recreational sex. In fact, there is a wealth of information to the contrary. While we may not know how much pleasure an animal gains for sexual activity, it cannot be denied that the all engage in it. Constantly.

I said as far as we know. they may have casual sex but we dont know for certain they're doing it for pleasure or...what marking mates? claiming dibs? whatever. we dont know was my point.

i get that male members of most species will hump anything tho

Precisely what I was hinting at. Now with that, I will say I can't stand P. troglodytes. Vicious little b******* force me to consider that blood lust may well be in our very being.

And therein lies the crux of nature v nurture. It was always though that since P. troglodytes was our closest genetic relative that we were doomed to the same violent behaviours as our natural state. But with the discovery that P. paniscus was not only genetically different than the other chimp populations along coastal Africa and more closely related to us, we saw a different side of what humanity could be. They solve problems with sex. They are capable of altruism, compassion and empathy. Though they still have a great capacity for violence.

Both are sister species to us and through nothing but geographical selection could not be more behaviorally different from one another. Perhaps we fall somewhere in between the two, or perhaps we shouldn't look for similarities where we might not like what we see,