Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Mars mission would exceed NASA health limits

Waspie_Dwarf

Health risks of Mars mission would exceed NASA limits

Efforts to send humans to Mars would likely expose them to health risks beyond the limits of what NASA currently allows, an independent panel of medical experts said Wednesday.

Therefore, any long-term or deep space missions—which are still decades off—need a special level of ethical scrutiny, said the report by the Institute of Medicine.

arrow3.gifRead more...

One of the things I have wondered about is the risk to Mars when humans arrive.

They may take all the precautions they can possible think of but if the landing craft crashes

and the humans are killed .....decaying, rotting human would contaminate the planet.

Unless they had some sort of containment system in place.

But I guess nothing is fail safe.

Hey yeah .. i never thought about dead bodies on planets, and what consequences that might have. We are indeed a vessel of bacteria and such.

Im also wondering what kind of people are enlisting to go to Mars, when knowing all the risks and knowing they are basically signing up for a suicide mission.

It will be interesting to see how this develops and if the Mars One mission will make its deadline.

Hey yeah .. i never thought about dead bodies on planets, and what consequences that might have. We are indeed a vessel of bacteria and such.

Im also wondering what kind of people are enlisting to go to Mars, when knowing all the risks and knowing they are basically signing up for a suicide mission.

It will be interesting to see how this develops and if the Mars One mission will make its deadline.

Mars One contestants have nothing to worry about. They will never get out of the Earths atmosphere let alone to the Red Planet. When you look how complicated it was just to get the Curiosity Rover on the ground with sky cranes etc, you realize how ridiculous their claims are.

Edited by skookum
  • Like 1

They could do it if they sought to get there earlier and designed their vehicle with that target in mind I am thinking.

1. Standard launch techniques to get parts into orbit i.e., their own space construction based lab...

2. Orion type engine system

3. Squirrel cage rec or living system

4. Electromag field generator or Faraday cage systems

5. Shuttle drop systems that double as interim habitats

6. Crash land the ship for parts.....

With money, vision and determination it could be feasible and actually happen, of course they would need to live below surface and with today's techs it shouldn't be too difficult to design and deploy 3D printers to assist in every way possible.....why not?

• Like 2

I am impressed that NASA are backing away, there is no shame in this.

Good.

The world now has bigger fish to fry than sending people to a place which has been so effectively explored for much less risk/cost by robotic means.

That's not to say I am against space exploration, I love it, but the money would be better spent helping people in more down to earth ways.

That's not to say I am against space exploration, I love it, but the money would be better spent helping people in more down to earth ways.

Do you realize just how many techs/advancements have come from space exploration?

Besides, if we give up on space exploration we might as well commit collective suicide, for that is what we are doing albeit in a slower manner.

It's not about giving up space exploration, it's about postponing manned missions to Mars until such time the risk factors are significantly reduced. If the risk factors are now akin to committing suicide then it's wise to wait.

It doesn't make me happy to know I'll probably be dead by the time a safe mission to Mars is launched but c'est la vie. On the bright side, for a while there I was afraid I would never see the ISS finished. lol