Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Carl Sagan was wrong about one thing

ambelamba

What makes killing and war primitive?

it's a tool like anything else, and the proper tactics of war can be very intricate. Now a blunt force war, sure I can see that being primitive, so if that's what you mean I apologize.

I can understand wars back in history, as man was beginning to evolve, searching for shelter, food and living off their animal instincts, but today? We do not live off animal instincts now, wars down to religion, money and sheer "blunt force" and who has the best technology to destroy, has nothing to do with animal instincts....we are evolving alright, but can not seem to shrug the primitive bit off, maybe greed has a major part in that.

We are not killing today for survival, we are kiling for power and greed and fun...

• Like 1

Until were given evidence they act differently all we have to go on is the history of similar events.

Taking the human aspect out of it, when a superior creature is added to an ecosystem it can be disastorous

"They" would have to be here before that would even be a concern. The evidence to date for that is zero.

• Like 1

Mind you, great man as he was, he was apparently wrong about TV or radio signals remaining cohesive enough to be comprehensible from light years away, which was, you may recall, the premise for Contact. Mind you, I never really got the ending of that; did they go to an Alien planet or not? if they did, they didn't meet any Aliens, did they? It was all sort of psychological. I've never really got psychological.

• Like 2

Mind you, great man as he was, he was apparently wrong about TV or radio signals remaining cohesive enough to be comprehensible from light years away, which was, you may recall, the premise for Contact. Mind you, I never really got the ending of that; did they go to an Alien planet or not? if they did, they didn't meet any Aliens, did they? It was all sort of psychological. I've never really got psychological.

Very true Colonel. Broadcast radio / TV signals do not propagate very far into space and the likelihood of "I Love Lucy" airing on some distant world right now is virtually nil.

Edited by sinewave

Segan was correct on most things ! Specially "I Love Lucy" :tu:

Carl Von Clausewitz, the father of modern warfare, asserted that war is a mere extension of politics. And I have a feeling that this is universal throughout our universe.

Carl Von Clausewitz, the father of modern warfare, asserted that war is a mere extension of politics. And I have a feeling that this is universal throughout our universe.

What....politics?

I have a feeling warfare is mans making, man doing, mans invention and mans game. There are no other animals which do this, and unless you are saying that intelligence on other planets are just like humans, then I think its unlikely.

Humans are still evolving on this planet, so what we will look like or be like in say another 1.000 years is completely impossible to say, so I would imaging anything from another planet, highly intelligent, more advanced than us and far more evolved than us......would be .....nothing like we are now. There is nothing to say they would resemble humans at all. Modern warfare and politics is mans creation, NOT the Universe's.

• Like 1

We are not killing today for survival, we are kiling for power and greed and fun...

...and the preservation of our lifestyle, the preservation of the lives of others, and self-defense.

...and the preservation of our lifestyle, the preservation of the lives of others, and self-defense.

Preservation of our lifestyle? Yes, and thats primitive behaviour from all sides.

Defending ftom who? Those who want the power, those who are greedy enough to kill.

I am sorry to say this, but those you mention above....apart from those killing in the name of a religious,, are the VICTIMS of war.

When I say "we" I do not mean the victims or people caught up in it, I mean those whom START it.

You would not need to defend yourself if you were not being attacked.

The whole reason why wars are started today is down to mans greed and want of power, and to achieve this, unless everyone bows down, then OBVIOUS it will create a war.

HENCE....man is not killing for survival, but yes, there will be many who object, I am one of them. defending yourself does not mean you started it, and I am talking about thosevwho start the wars in the first place.

• Like 1

What....politics?

I have a feeling warfare is mans making, man doing, mans invention and mans game. There are no other animals which do this, and unless you are saying that intelligence on other planets are just like humans, then I think its unlikely.

Humans are still evolving on this planet, so what we will look like or be like in say another 1.000 years is completely impossible to say, so I would imaging anything from another planet, highly intelligent, more advanced than us and far more evolved than us......would be .....nothing like we are now. There is nothing to say they would resemble humans at all. Modern warfare and politics is mans creation, NOT the Universe's.

Hi Freetoroam,

This will be a brief in-and-out in regards to the topic. First, do be aware that your various contributions have been noted and personally found to be quite admirable. However, and in support of Hida's position, "warfare" is hardly restricted to mankind. One may simply look to the well documented cases of the bio-chemical "warfare" amongst plant species and the "warfare" practices of insect species. Ants would be a readily available example. Should you choose to investigate the behaviors of soils organisms, you will encounter similar "brutal" practices.

One can readily adjust such environmentally competitive practices further up the food chain.

Merely a note.

• Like 1

Preservation of our lifestyle? Yes, and thats primitive behaviour from all sides.

Defending ftom who? Those who want the power, those who are greedy enough to kill.

I am sorry to say this, but those you mention above....apart from those killing in the name of a religious,, are the VICTIMS of war.

When I say "we" I do not mean the victims or people caught up in it, I mean those whom START it.

You would not need to defend yourself if you were not being attacked.

The whole reason why wars are started today is down to mans greed and want of power, and to achieve this, unless everyone bows down, then OBVIOUS it will create a war.

HENCE....man is not killing for survival, but yes, there will be many who object, I am one of them. defending yourself does not mean you started it, and I am talking about thosevwho start the wars in the first place.

Ok...then to be clear you mean those who start wars. I tend to agree with your opinion then. However, war at times can be necessary if it means all that I have stated. I can be oppressed and my only choice to free myself is war. And, yes, that is killing for survival, in way, but the bad guys technically aren't warring with you. So, in that case, war is justified--you start the war to free yourself.

Ok...then to be clear you mean those who start wars. I tend to agree with your opinion then. However, war at times can be necessary if it means all that I have stated. I can be oppressed and my only choice to free myself is war. And, yes, that is killing for survival, in way, but the bad guys technically aren't warring with you. So, in that case, war is justified--you start the war to free yourself.

I understand completely. I am, as you may have guest, anti war. After all these years man is still going to war, man is still building even better weapons to fight with, man is still prepared to kill another man for power (yes, this will mean another man needs to kill to defend himself) to me, this is not a race evolving to better things, its is a race which is heading for its own destruction....thats not intelligence.

• Like 1

Did someone say Alien invasion??? :geek:

Hi Freetoroam,

This will be a brief in-and-out in regards to the topic. First, do be aware that your various contributions have been noted and personally found to be quite admirable. However, and in support of Hida's position, "warfare" is hardly restricted to mankind. One may simply look to the well documented cases of the bio-chemical "warfare" amongst plant species and the "warfare" practices of insect species. Ants would be a readily available example. Should you choose to investigate the behaviors of soils organisms, you will encounter similar "brutal" practices.

One can readily adjust such environmentally competitive practices further up the food chain.

Merely a note.

Quite, but not quite on the same lever, but you make a good point, I have in the past said that there is no reason why an alien should resemble a human when it could just as easily resemble an ant, considering ants are intelligent. Your word brutal is a prime example to use in conjunction with my word primitive behaviour, man should have by now learned to find a way of living together, we have no excuse to kill out of survival other than for greed and power.

Many wars are down to religion, I wonder how many ants or other species on this planet are killing each other for this reason? I truely think...none.

Just because other species are killing each other, does not justify us to do it, we are supposed to be the intelligence on this planet..allegedly.

• Like 1

Jeeeeeze, do not do that to me, I had to check I was posting on the right thread.

Yes, somewhere on page 1.

Mr. Sagan was the one who started the issue, not me! :D

• Like 1

Its not impossible that advanced aliens might be completely incapable of killing. Simply put it may never enter their minds.

Using mathematical concepts they might get a sense of what our abstract emotions are, but the mystery which befalls man might remain as inconcievable to them as the 4th or 5th dimension is to us.

Peaceful persistance can just as easily win natures battle. Trees are living proof of this.

• Like 1

How can you be so blind? Aliens are the trees!

Edited by taniwha

Its not impossible that advanced aliens might be completely incapable of killing. Simply put it may never enter their minds.

~snip

That's a mighty good point ~ and the only hope for planet earth ~ that they might find the idea of 'killing' so morally objectionable and incomprehensible that it is beyond their capacity to act in such a manner ~ but letting us kill each other would simply just solve that predicament ~ I am sure some nations would be only too willing and eager to serve a more advanced and technologically superior race ... it is just a matter of time as things go for the last 50 or so odd years ~ either way somethings gonna break ~ cause something's gotta give ~ and no one has anything to give no more ~

~

If aliens wished to wipe out humans all they have to do is fire off some EMPs at Earth, knock out all power plants, generators, electric grid, etc.

Or, fire off a few nukes at Earth from some 1000 miles out into space. Each will be ifcourse 100x more powerful than Tsar Bomba, the most powerful nuke ever made.

That fact that no alien invasion or bombings, or colonization have ever taken place on Earth, proves none of it will ever happen. Lack of alien existence is proven by their non-existence.

If aliens wished to wipe out humans all they have to do is fire off some EMPs at Earth, knock out all power plants, generators, electric grid, etc.

Or, fire off a few nukes at Earth from some 1000 miles out into space. Each will be ifcourse 100x more powerful than Tsar Bomba, the most powerful nuke ever made.

That fact that no alien invasion or bombings, or colonization have ever taken place on Earth, proves none of it will ever happen. Lack of alien existence is proven by their non-existence.

*blink* So if ETs existed at all, they'd have inevitably launched an assault on planet Earth?

• Like 4

Of course. We all know that aliens carry around nuclear bombs in case they need to exterminate life on a planet.

Well, that's completely wacked.

The conclusions you have come to using the method of thinking you have....you're doing it wrong.

Ever thought that maybe it hasn't happened yet? Existence and time is measured more than just by your experiences, you know that?

ALiens won't need to bring along any world exterminating weapons ... they'll just use what we already have ~ by then it should be a candy store of terra boomers ~