Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Being tormented in bed by I don't know what!

chrsfreas

Ok I am new on the site and was wondering if anyone can help or at least shed some light on what I am dealing with....I have a problem that has been going on for a couple years now off and on and it has recently a few months ago escalated. It started out with feelings that I wasn't alone and hearing voices and my name being said but nobody around. Recently it has went from that to not hearing anything but being woke up like someone starring at me and being shook violently or hit but nothing is there that I can see. I am embarrassed to say it but I have started sleeping with a light on to try and catch a glimpse of whatever it is and because I am scarred tosleep in the dark anymore. Any help or information would be greatly appreciated.

• Like 1

Maybe it is spirit trying to gain your attention... perhaps watching shows like ' Long Island Medium' may make you feel more comfortable about this.... It was just a couple of days ago when my daughter brought up how she was awakened by some invisible energy snatching the pillow she was sleeping on... it happened several times that night until she was totally awake and freaked out.. My husband was awake watching tv... so he let her sleep on the couch so that she could sleep in relative safety away from this bothersome 'spirit?'... She was also often awakened by a knocking on her bedroom wall.. it would respond to her knocks and would also knock out tunes... My husband said the same used to happen to him as a child...so he is rather understanding about her concerns of these 'hauntings'...

Here is an episode of Long Island Medium to help you feel more comfortable about what could be going on... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEjKcIwW4QA

Edited by crystal sage
  • Like 1

Thank you. I will go check it out. I mean the hearing things and feeling like I wasn't alone didn't bother me but it's the being attacked that has me scarred because I can't do anything to stop it. But thank you so much

• Like 1

Ok I am new on the site and was wondering if anyone can help or at least shed some light on what I am dealing with....I have a problem that has been going on for a couple years now off and on and it has recently a few months ago escalated. It started out with feelings that I wasn't alone and hearing voices and my name being said but nobody around. Recently it has went from that to not hearing anything but being woke up like someone starring at me and being shook violently or hit but nothing is there that I can see. I am embarrassed to say it but I have started sleeping with a light on to try and catch a glimpse of whatever it is and because I am scarred tosleep in the dark anymore. Any help or information would be greatly appreciated.

hi chrs :)

both you and crystal sage do appear to have similar stories..but in both your cases i would be cautious before chalking it up to a spirit that merely wants 'attention'..

there are many times in a person's life when they do feel a presence near; but it feels nice, and pleasant..some say we have guardian angels, and maybe we do :) but for both you, whatever it is, does not sound very pleasant at all, which, leads me to wonder if it might be something else..

hard to tell without a little more 'study' so to speak. i would, if i were you, document everything 'odd' or unusual; just jot it down. look for strange odors, noises. if you have a camera phone. when you are feeling 'strange' go ahead and snap off some shots of your immediate area.

by all means, sleep with the light on anytime you want :) cost pennies per night, and it is worth it for your peace of mind. the thing, tho, that i wonder about in your case crs, is that it has been going on for some time..i have suspicions of some other kind of activity, but best to write everything down, look for a pattern, and research all you can..

and--know that you are not alone in this, many others have had these kinds of experiences. if you would like i can direct to some threads that are similar to your story, which might help you get a better handle on what really might be going on

i hope that you will decide to come and talk a bit more about your experiences..i think that with a little help from some friends :) this can be sorted out.. :)

• Like 3

did you have night terrors at that time??

every night we dream (good or bad), even if you do not see or remember it. Sometime has we sleep your brain can some times slip out of the unconscious state, especially when a child is experiencing a night terror. The conscious brain is telling you to wake up, while the unconscious brain is in dream mode.

Coming out of the dream/nightmare/terror world into the real world so hastily can make the person seem to experience things that are not really there.. Them few seconds can be very delusional

• Like 3

Yes... I did see a couple of episodes where the Long Island medium did a cleansing of the property with Sage smoke... to clear out negative energies.. find out what was going on... so you could have a shot at that or burn some Frankincense sticks... and see how that feels.. note your dreams.. has anyone who you know has 'passed' visited you in a dream ? Maybe some who have passed over may be overeager to let you know that they are around.. as Julia mentioned.. the scents... do they remind you of anyone? This being 'hit' is not on... that has happened to me on occasion.. you are within your rights to tell spirit to 'bug off'... Sometimes situations like you have experienced occur after spirit has been called in.. like after séances or the use of spirit boards those Ouija boards...

But then I have also had experiences where in an empathy way.. I have felt/experienced an injury that a family member has suffered as they are suffering it.. or feel the pain another is feeling.

I have also wondered if somehow in the realms where distance healing is achieved... so too can one send a nudge.. or a whack ? ... Also with the idea how some are said to have out of body experiences when they sleep... could those people unconsciously visit people that they are thinking of in their dream state via their etheric body travelling and interacting in that unconscious state.. Imagine being annoyed at someone over some issue.. and that very same person dreaming that they visited that particular person to take action.. calling out to them, trying to gain their attention to be heard .. pushing them.. tapping them on their shoulder.. throwing something at them.,.,, or giving them a whack... Could that not that very connection happen as an out of body experience of another? It seems logical to me? If sending healing .. prayers.. even voodoo can affect the physical being at t distance.. why not via the well documented OBE trips.. remote viewing.. connections ?

As Julia mentioned.. take note of what goes on during those times.. what thoughts come to mind... maybe you might get more of a clue what you may be experiencing? You may even discreetly call people involved.. casually bring up you thinking of them.. or dreaming of them.. they may surprise you of a vivid dream they may have had... :) ...

• Like 1

Yes Julia52 I would really appreciate it if you could show me to some threads that are like mine. I have tried researching what or who it could be but can find very little. A lot of what pops up when I try is Sleep Paralysis but I am not always sleeping when the things happen.

;) it may be spirit waking you up and rescuing you from a nightmare..
  • Like 1

The thing is not to fear... experience it in wonder... that gives you control... it could be mischievous spirits.. I think I did a whole series of posts on this haunted house I once lived in where poltergeist activity was a daily occurrence... even in front of visitors toys would go off all by themselves.. dolls talking.. giggling.. other toy pianos.. recorded device toys would go off together or individually even when the batteries were removed..

Edited by crystal sage
  • Like 1

I will give it a shot crystal sage. I will try to stay calm next time it happens and try to experience it as not a bad thing but it is hard. I have had things like you were saying with the toys happen before too.

• Like 1

Its always best to work from the realistic side first, not that I dont believe you but there are a few factors that can cause these symptoms!

you mentioned that this phenomenon is happening while in bed and you are being woken up, are the obvious ones like sleep paralysis and night terrors as mentioned before, these can feel very real, and you can feel fully awake during the dream, but they are just that....a dream. also lack of sleep can cause audio and visual hallucinations, are you getting enough sleep?

There are also a host of medication that can bring on these sensations, many anti depressants are known to increase this kind of symptom, almost everything in your medical cabinet can cause symptoms like you describe if mixed with other drugs or stimulants!or over dosed! Even something as innocent as a nicotine patch can cause strange and unusual phenomenon during the sleeping process!

The other thing to check is your house for carbon monoxide, if you have gas heating or a gas boiler its sometimes possible for the equipment to malfunction or leak, causing a build up of these dangerous gases in your home, which also cause all manner of sensory hallucination, (and possible death so dont take any chances if you suspect you have a carbon monoxide problem)

There are also various substances used with in the building trade that during there bonding or drying process give off dangerous fumes, bonding agents and resins being the worse! And are commonly used for recreational purposes by drug takers to bring on similar sensations,

You see there are many causes and adding factors to the symptoms you described, there are vast amounts of variables you need to rule out before automatically assuming you are being haunted!

99.9% of the time there is a perfectly logical explanation!

Edited by 6.6.6
  • Like 4

Its always best to work from the realistic side first, not that I dont believe you but there are a few factors that can cause these symptoms!

you mentioned that this phenomenon is happening while in bed and you are being woken up, are the obvious ones like sleep paralysis and night terrors mentioned before, these can feel very real, and you can feel fully awake during the dream, but they are just that....a dream. also lack of sleep can cause audio and visual hallucinations, are you getting enough sleep?

There are also a host of medication that can bring on these sensations, many anti depressants are known to increase this kind of symptom, almost everything in your medical cabinet can cause symptoms like you describe if mixed with other drugs or stimulants! Even something as innocent as a nicotine patch can cause strange and unusual phenomenon during the sleeping process!

The other thing to check is your house for carbon monoxide, if you have gas heating or a gas boiler its sometimes possible for the equipment to malfunction or leak, causing a build up of these dangerous gases in your home, which also cause all manner of sensory hallucination, (and possible death so dont take any chances if you suspect you have a carbon monoxide problem)

There are also various substances used with in the building trade that during there bonding or drying process give off dangerous fumes, bonding agents and resins being the worse! And are commonly used for recreational purposes by drug takers to bring on similar sensations,

You see there are many causes and adding factors to the symptoms you described, there are vast amounts of variables you need to rule out before automatically assuming you are being haunted!

99.9% of the time there is a perfectly logical explanation!

This x 1000.

Sounds like schitzophrinia.

What I hate is we can not give medical advice, but people can give " paranormal " advice that may keep people from seeking medical help.

I suggest seeing a Psychologist and letting them read this thread.

• Like 5

This x 1000.

Sounds like schitzophrinia.

What I hate is we can not give medical advice, but people can give " paranormal " advice that may keep people from seeking medical help.

I suggest seeing a Psychologist and letting them read this thread.

I thought it sounded like a psychological disorder aswell!

Infact most ghost/haunting stories I read on here scream out psychological problems

• Like 4

I thought it sounded like a psychological disorder aswell!

Infact most ghost/haunting stories I read on here scream out psychological problems

... or just authors boredom

Edited by toast
  • Like 3

It would be questionable if I were the only one who experienced it... but for example both my husband and I heard the footsteps running down the hall and there was no one there... the toys going off were witnessed by more than people at once.. on many occasions... the house in which we lived at the time was sold 3 times in ten years . Usually the toys went off at 2.30 in the morning. My mother who came to babysit when my husband and I went away for a work function... she was so freaked out that she packed the kids and took them to her house and they stayed with her for the week end. ( I ran into my old next door neighbours who informed me that each of those who bought the house after us sold it because of the hauntings)... Strangely after we moved house.. for the next 5 years or so.. our alarms would go off at 2.30 in the morning a few times a year .. even though we were at home in bed and the alarms of course weren't put on... It was annoying.. as we had to pay for the security that turned up if we didn't switch them off soon enough... ( somehow it wouldn't respond to our attempts to turn them off at these times )...

Edited by crystal sage
  • Like 1

I have had something similar to this happened to me before, at night I would hear noises from downstairs and faint footsteps walking up the stairs. Lukily it hasn't happened anymore since we got a cat, if this was to still occur to you I reccommend you getting a cat of your own and see if it will work.

Some more reading... http://weilerpsiblog.wordpress.com/2011/03/26/the-link-between-psychic-ability-schizophrenia-and-psychosis/

Psychosis in Psychics

You aren’t psychotic just because you saw a ghost or some other image or had a bad feeling or heard things. Psychosis includes those things, but you have to look at the overall picture.

Psychosis is not an addition to reality, it’s a break from it. If you’re seeing ghosts and they’re talking to you for instance, but otherwise, things are normal, this is probably a psychic experience. An exceptional one, yes, but merely psychic nonetheless. I don’t claim to know all the reasons for why this stuff suddenly occurs, but when I’ve dug into the backgrounds of people who have related these things to me, they were pretty damned psychic to begin with and had other experiences before that were similar at other times in their lives. When I’ve done a bit of peer counseling with these people the main problem was a fear of insanity. When that issue was resolved, it was no longer a problem. A psychotic break is a fear feedback loop that is totally out of control. I would not attempt peer counseling in this situation because serious help and meds are a good idea at this point.

OP I've experienced this too, hearing my name being spoken by a voice in the room and the bed shaking. I couldn't get to grips with it. But all these events happened over 10 years ago when I lived somewhere else. I later discovered that one of the door's in the house used to belong to a Victorian railway station. Whether or not it was connected I don't know.

• Like 1

Well I have been to a shrink before and been tested by other doctors because I thought the same as was mentioned but all tests came back normal. So no it is not in my head and sure as hell isn't "author's boredom" Thank you to crystal sage and Julia. I appreciate your help with this matter and will try and seek insight on the matter somewhere else that I am not chalked up to being crazy or just bored making up something.

• Like 1

Well I have been to a shrink before and been tested by other doctors because I thought the same as was mentioned but all tests came back normal. So no it is not in my head and sure as hell isn't "author's boredom" Thank you to crystal sage and Julia. I appreciate your help with this matter and will try and seek insight on the matter somewhere else that I am not chalked up to being crazy or just bored making up something.

666 has given an extremely good post, you are certainly not being chalked up as being crazy, but if you decide it is paramormal when in fact it could very well be something as simple as sleep paralysis, then, sure, you may well go crazy.

I am not saying believing in the paranormal is crazy, but choosing the wrong option will not do you any favour s, so maybe ( some advice you may wish to adhere to) do not discount advice from all sources, although it seems you have set your heart on only one thing, which could close your eyes and mind to the real reasons you are experiencing this. Which basically means, it could carry on for a long time because you are not addressing it correctly.

• Like 3

It has to be paranormal.......

No other suggestions will be taken.

• Like 8

I don't really want to make the same suggestion you've already heard from others but I've had very similar symptoms from sleep paralysis myself.

• Like 2

OP I've experienced this too, hearing my name being spoken by a voice in the room and the bed shaking. I couldn't get to grips with it. But all these events happened over 10 years ago when I lived somewhere else. I later discovered that one of the door's in the house used to belong to a Victorian railway station. Whether or not it was connected I don't know.

Yes my kids have often experienced this... it did stress them ... this is when I used to find all the girls in one bed in the morning.. more middle of the night creepiness.. pillows pulled from under them.. blankets pulled.... the most common was a knocking on the walls that following them through out the house... it couldn't have been a possum as it responded in tunes.. etc... unless we had musical wildlife... I sometimes wished I knew Morse Code... in case these were messages..

Edited by crystal sage