Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

A discussion I had with a 'co-worker'

ambelamba

I've been working for this court drama on TNT this June for a few weeks. I am an extra but am needed pretty much every scenes for multiple episodes, with SAG pay rates. :) I did have some short but fun conversation with James Cromwell, but I goofed up a bit.

One of fellow 'jurors' is a pretty sharp Filipino guy. I had some fun talking with him. He told me that one of close uncles abandoned Catholicism after he studied to be a priest! :D And we agreed that the strong religiosity of Korean people come from the tendency of obeying the authority without question. You know, "Just obey and say Amen."...just like my mom says... :(

When we were talking about horror movies, I asked him why there wouldn't be any supernatural horror movie WITHOUT Judeo-Christian influence. We both agreed that the cultural atmosphere in America will make such movies completely bombed. :( And the conversation went to more spiritual direction.

There hasn't been any EXACT equivalent of Satan in Eastern culture. In fact, the concept of eternal war between good and evil or rebellion in heaven DOES NOT exist in the east of Afghanistan area, which means the entire East Asia is devoid of Miltonian epic. Sure, there are evil demonic lords in many major Eastern religions. But they have been what they are. They didn't really fell from anywhere. And heck, even some of them just want to follow the teachings of Buddha! The concept of Judeo-Christian cosmology sounds vastly abrasive to Asian spirituality. Yeah, it was a fun discussion.

Now I remember reading an article claiming that all religions except Christianity were created by Satan... Well, can non-Christians make any meaningful conversation on spirituality with people with such belief...? And I used to believe like that. At least my past self would act politely, but I would have thought that non-Christians are heading to Hell and I considered it as a...sigh, divine secret.

Given that you once believed as such, I'd say that you answered your own question as to whether it's possible to reach someone who believes that way.

• Like 1

Not really sure I understand the point or main question of your post, but all humans find a way to explain or rationalise the existence of "evil" in them selves and in humanity The Judaeo Christian form is just one of many such explanations. Karma, in a way, is just the same, and so is the secular humanist concept of natural consequence and reaping what you sow. People who do not believe that doing bad things has a natural/logical, consequence are both very stupid and very dangerous.

Given that you once believed as such, I'd say that you answered your own question as to whether it's possible to reach someone who believes that way.

It can't be, sadly.

When we were talking about horror movies, I asked him why there wouldn't be any supernatural horror movie WITHOUT Judeo-Christian influence.

You left out Islam. Another Jinn horror film is coming out. http://en.wikipedia....iki/Jinn_(film)

I remember reading an article claiming that all religions except Christianity were created by Satan... Well, can non-Christians make any meaningful conversation on spirituality with people with such belief...?

That's a pretty bold claim. Who says "all religions except Christianity were created by Satan."? The late Fred Phelps and two other guys? I don't know of any Christian denominations teaching this.

• Like 1

That's a pretty bold claim. Who says "all religions except Christianity were created by Satan."? The late Fred Phelps and two other guys? I don't know of any Christian denominations teaching this.

Actually as a christian, I have heard such things from people of denominations other than mine - it has been an issue in my life with a particular family member who involved themselves with such a denomination. I have some really strong views about such things, in that the very idea makes me ill and if I were to hear it in my denomination or anywhere, I would be pretty quick to call it rubbish. Also we have the Fundamental Church of Jesus and Latter Day Saints.

http://www.dailymail...sex-father.html

Edited by libstaK
  • Like 1

Actually as a christian, I have heard such things from people of denominations other than mine - it has been an issue in my life with a particular family member who involved themselves with such a denomination. I have some really strong views about such things, in that the very idea makes me ill and if I were to hear it in my denomination or anywhere, I would be pretty quick to call it rubbish. Also we have the Fundamental Church of Jesus and Latter Day Saints.

http://www.dailymail...sex-father.html

Most of Korean Protestant believe that way, too. They believe that Satan created other religions to fool people.

Most of Korean Protestant believe that way, too. They believe that Satan created other religions to fool people.

I find that very sad, people jump so quickly to conclusions when they are given a little information that is new and christianity in Asia is still a relatively new concept. If the past is an indicator the growing pains of comprehending the bible in correct context are not going to be pretty. I would think though in a cultural setting where buddhism was so historically dominant that the focus of the message would be on love, compassion and forgiveness - yet everyone latches onto what constitutes good and evil instead and jumps straight into making judgments on each other and the world at large which is the exact opposite of christ's message about treatment of our fellow man - we should treat our own behaviour vigilantly but the world we are asked to look upon with love and compassion.

• Like 1

I find that very sad, people jump so quickly to conclusions when they are given a little information that is new and christianity in Asia is still a relatively new concept. If the past is an indicator the growing pains of comprehending the bible in correct context are not going to be pretty. I would think though in a cultural setting where buddhism was so historically dominant that the focus of the message would be on love, compassion and forgiveness - yet everyone latches onto what constitutes good and evil instead and jumps straight into making judgments on each other and the world at large which is the exact opposite of christ's message about treatment of our fellow man - we should treat our own behaviour vigilantly but the world we are asked to look upon with love and compassion.

Buddhism messed up big time by being corrupted in 12~14th century. And Christianity was the religion of liberators, I mean Americans.