Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Was Jesus really crucified in a 'T' shape ?

UM-Bot

I've heard this theory a long time ago in church, I was under the impression it wasn't even a cross, but a straight pole. The nails didn't go through his hands either, they went through his wrists.

The wrists were considered to be part of the hands in those times.Studies on cadavers show that nails in the palm would rip apart the hand with some body weight added.

The wrists were considered to be part of the hands in those times.Studies on cadavers show that nails in the palm would rip apart the hand with some body weight added.

True but the arms could have been secured with ropes and the palms nailed just to add insult to injury
  • Like 1

I've heard this theory a long time ago in church, I was under the impression it wasn't even a cross, but a straight pole. The nails didn't go through his hands either, they went through his wrists.

I do agree with the wrists. That seems a more likely way that they did it.

I'd not agree with the pole, since many other sources say that the Romans were pretty standardized in how they crucified people. I do agree that it is a possibility though.

I go for the cross theory. After all, the word, 'crucifixion', does mean fixed to a cross. Though, single wooden stakes were also used, the Romans tended to use crossbeams as well in their gory executions.

Also, it is more probable that Jesus carried the cross beam up to Calvary and not the main stake, which would have been far too heavy for a man to carry (particularly in his already weakened condition).

In some cases, the condemned was forced to carry the crossbeam on his shoulders to the place of execution. A whole cross would weigh well over 135 kilos (300 lb), but the crossbeam would not be quite as burdensome, weighing around 45 kilos (100 lb).[12] The Roman historian Tacitus records that the city of Rome had a specific place for carrying out executions, situated outside the Esquiline Gate,[13] and had a specific area reserved for the execution of slaves by crucifixion.[14] Upright posts would presumably be fixed permanently in that place, and the crossbeam, with the condemned person perhaps already nailed to it, would then be attached to the post.

The person executed may have been attached to the cross by rope, though nails are mentioned in a passage by the Judean historian Josephus, where he states that at the Siege of Jerusalem (70), "the soldiers out of rage and hatred, nailed those they caught, one after one way, and another after another, to the crosses, by way of jest."[15] Objects used in the crucifixion of criminals, such as nails, were sought as amulets with perceived medicinal qualities.[16]

(Wikipedia)

True but the arms could have been secured with ropes and the palms nailed just to add insult to injury

That's true, but straps were probably used regardless, so I would imagine.

I see it like this;Slap your open palm, then just below that your wrist with a metal rod.See which hurts more.