Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Yowie video

Belial

Looks like a white barn owl to me. Even has the right movements for a barn owl.

Good call.

Occam's Razor.

• Like 1

Good call.

Occam's Razor.

Here is a video of a white barn owl. Same head movment when interested in the camera.

• Like 4

It's always the guys that own bigfoot/yowie/UFO sites that manage to capture footage.

• Like 1

I can give you a quick run down on what it's not:

A possum, a dog, a cat, real, a koala, a kangaroo, a wallaby, an echidna (a word which auto-correct suggests should be "Chinaman" incidentally), a cow, a horse, a blue-tongued lizard....

That could cause some funny auto-correct mistakes.

I saw a Chinaman at the zoo the other day. Oops...

• Like 1

It looks like the video is recorded off the screen, the movements look like some one hand./

• Like 2

Brian stole the words straight from my brain. To me this looks as though there is a pre-recorded object being projected and filmed by this trail-camera.

• Like 1

Looks like a white barn owl to me. Even has the right movements for a barn owl.

Here is a video of a white barn owl. Same head movment when interested in the camera.

Awesome stuff, Disbeliever. Rodents would be attracted to the apples and an owl would be attracted to the rodents.

An earlier daytime video of the same area seems to show the back end of a scrub turkey just as it is leaving the scene (J&J interpret it as an "arm of a yowie testing the senser on the tree cam") which indicates that there is somewhat of a delay between the camera sensing motion and the start of filming so it would not have picked up the owl as it swooped in on its prey (or even flying away).

J&J Yowie Search live in the same area as me (south-east Queensland) and there are several species of owl in the area:

Greater Sooty Owl - Tyto tenebricosa - Deep moist gullies in eucalypt forest, usually with big, old, smooth-barked gums and an understorey of tree ferns and Lilly Pilly. They may move into drier forest to hunt but they need the primary habitat for roosting and breeding.

Australian Masked Owl - Tyto novaehollandiae - Forest and open woodland with adjacent clearings.

Common Barn Owl - Tyto alba - The Barn Owl is found in virtually all habitats but much more abundantly in open woodland, heaths and moors than forested country.

Powerful Owl - Ninox strenua - Typically wet and hilly sclerophyll forest with dense gullies adjacent to more open forest. A nearby town at the base of the ranges is known as the "home of the powerful owl".

So, they have a camera set up and apples there but they only have two seconds of the creature? LMAO.

• Like 1

I watched it on full screen and at close up you can clearly see someones hand fingers holding lights.

total fail =D

• Like 1

"The grainy early-morning video"

what else is new?

• Like 2

And another crystal clear, believable, video capture of something. Just like all the other crystal clear, believable,

video captures of something.

• Like 1

So, they have a camera set up and apples there but they only have two seconds of the creature? LMAO.

The camera recorded for 15 seconds - same as the earlier daytime recording which featured the back end of a scrub turkey (or Yowie arm).

Rather than a hoax, this incident has more in common with confabulation - a memory disturbance, defined as the production of fabricated, distorted or misinterpreted memories about oneself or the world, without the conscious intention to deceive. Confabulation is distinguished from lying as there is no intent to deceive and the person is unaware the information is false. Although individuals can present blatantly false information, confabulation can also seem to be coherent, internally consistent, and relatively normal. Individuals who confabulate present incorrect memories ranging from "subtle alternations to bizarre fabrications", and are generally very confident about their recollections, despite contradictory evidence.

• Like 3

this video is 100% proof that muppets exist. =D

• Like 1

The camera recorded for 15 seconds - same as the earlier daytime recording which featured the back end of a scrub turkey (or Yowie arm).

Rather than a hoax, this incident has more in common with confabulation - a memory disturbance, defined as the production of fabricated, distorted or misinterpreted memories about oneself or the world, without the conscious intention to deceive. Confabulation is distinguished from lying as there is no intent to deceive and the person is unaware the information is false. Although individuals can present blatantly false information, confabulation can also seem to be coherent, internally consistent, and relatively normal. Individuals who confabulate present incorrect memories ranging from "subtle alternations to bizarre fabrications", and are generally very confident about their recollections, despite contradictory evidence.

While I certainly think this video was nothing worthwhile, I disagree with connecting it with confabulation.

As the wikipedia link says, most causes of confabulation are caused by brain damage or dementias and are often symptoms of several psychopathologies, including Alzheimer's Disease and brain injuries. Unless some diagnosis was done to determine if anyone is suffering or experiencing these, it is more likely not to be in common.

Edited by Insanity

True - the term "confabulation" seems related to medical\psychiatric conditions and the recall of memory so I am not sure it is the exactly correct term for what is going on here (perhaps "self-deception" or "storytelling" would be a better fit) but many of the features described are very similar. Particularly "no intent to deceive", "the person is unaware the information is false", "internally consistent", and "are generally very confident about their recollections, despite contradictory evidence" - these are things we see time and time again with reports of Bigfoot\Yowie even when the reports turn out to be unjustified or even false...

However, confabulation may also be non-clinical:

Brain Fiction: Self-Deception and the Riddle of Confabulation - examines confabulation and argues that its causes are not merely technical issues in neurology or cognitive science but deeply revealing about the structure of the human intellect...

Normal people, too, sometimes have a tendency to confabulate; rather than admitting "I don't know," some people will make up an answer or an explanation and express it with complete conviction...

[The author] describes confabulation as the failure of a normal checking or censoring process in the brain -- the failure to recognize that a false answer is fantasy, not reality. Thus, he argues, the creative ability to construct a plausible-sounding response and some ability to check that response are separate in the human brain. Hirstein sees the dialectic between the creative and checking processes -- "the inner dialogue" -- as an important part of our mental life.

One reviewer, Dr. Lee D. Carlson, links confabulation with human storytelling - Individuals concoct stories in order to engage in self-protection and self-definition, and consequently define, however inaccurately, their identities. This can be done without conscious deliberation, and its function is to solidify the personal identity of the narrator. Carlson also points to "self-deception" as being a lighter and more prevalent form of confabulation.

I'm going to order a copy to get a better understanding. This unexplored territory within the realms of Yowie\Bigfoot...

It should also be noted that "mental illness" is a taboo subject amongst the subculture of Yowie\Bigfoot-researchers so the medical\psychiatric use of "confabulation" may still be accurate in these terms...

Edited by Night Walker

[in my best Eddie Izzard voice] I'm con-FAB-ulouuuuus!

True - the term "confabulation" seems related to medical\psychiatric conditions and the recall of memory so I am not sure it is the exactly correct term for what is going on here (perhaps "self-deception" or "storytelling" would be a better fit) but many of the features described are very similar. Particularly "no intent to deceive", "the person is unaware the information is false", "internally consistent", and "are generally very confident about their recollections, despite contradictory evidence" - these are things we see time and time again with reports of Bigfoot\Yowie even when the reports turn out to be unjustified or even false...

However, confabulation may also be non-clinical:

Brain Fiction: Self-Deception and the Riddle of Confabulation - examines confabulation and argues that its causes are not merely technical issues in neurology or cognitive science but deeply revealing about the structure of the human intellect...

Normal people, too, sometimes have a tendency to confabulate; rather than admitting "I don't know," some people will make up an answer or an explanation and express it with complete conviction...

[The author] describes confabulation as the failure of a normal checking or censoring process in the brain -- the failure to recognize that a false answer is fantasy, not reality. Thus, he argues, the creative ability to construct a plausible-sounding response and some ability to check that response are separate in the human brain. Hirstein sees the dialectic between the creative and checking processes -- "the inner dialogue" -- as an important part of our mental life.

One reviewer, Dr. Lee D. Carlson, links confabulation with human storytelling - Individuals concoct stories in order to engage in self-protection and self-definition, and consequently define, however inaccurately, their identities. This can be done without conscious deliberation, and its function is to solidify the personal identity of the narrator. Carlson also points to "self-deception" as being a lighter and more prevalent form of confabulation.

I'm going to order a copy to get a better understanding. This unexplored territory within the realms of Yowie\Bigfoot...

It should also be noted that "mental illness" is a taboo subject amongst the subculture of Yowie\Bigfoot-researchers so the medical\psychiatric use of "confabulation" may still be accurate in these terms...

A distinction between the medical definition of confabulation, which includes symptoms of Alzheimer's Disease and brain injuries, and the dictionary definition of it, which includes 'to talk informally', 'to hold a discussion', and 'storytelling', would probably be important.

A medical condition would require professional diagnosis, while simply storytelling is just that, storytelling. If someone is exhibiting confabulation due to an existing psychopathology, then obviously their word really would not hold not value. I have a grandmother who is likely progressing to Alzheimer's, and she does say things that are quite unlikely to have happened. Conversely, if someone is consciously and willingly telling a fictional story, then investigation probably can determine that.

A distinction between the medical definition of confabulation, which includes symptoms of Alzheimer's Disease and brain injuries, and the dictionary definition of it, which includes 'to talk informally', 'to hold a discussion', and 'storytelling', would probably be important.

A medical condition would require professional diagnosis, while simply storytelling is just that, storytelling. If someone is exhibiting confabulation due to an existing psychopathology, then obviously their word really would not hold not value. I have a grandmother who is likely progressing to Alzheimer's, and she does say things that are quite unlikely to have happened. Conversely, if someone is consciously and willingly telling a fictional story, then investigation probably can determine that.

So do you think JJ Yowie Search are consciously telling a fictional story in this instance (or in any of their other sensational Yowie claims - look them up on YouTube)? I don't think that they are but neither do I think the claims are the results of any overt psychopathology. Instead, reports like this (which resemble both the medical definition of confabulation & of conscious storytelling) actually make up a large proportion (if not the majority) of modern Yowie claims. My point is this (lets call it) "unconscious storytelling" is a natural part of the human processing and part of what we all do everyday to some degree. Moreover it seems to make up a big part of the Yowie-mystery (amongst others UFOs, ghosts,etc)...

If this underlying process is to understood it first needs to be defined - but how to define it? Both the medical in informal use of "confabulation" are close but not quite right. How does "unconscious storytelling" sit? Are there any other more appropriate terms?

How about "legend trip"? - an outing organized to confront an urban legend. As modern-day pieces of folklore, urban legends spread cautionary warnings about locations or events. While some urban legends are essentially true (though wildly distorted), others are entirely false. Although the purpose of a legend trip is ostensibly to discover the truth or falsity of an urban legend, legend trippers most often wind up scaring themselves. [source]

However "legend-tripping" is usually described as an adolescent past-time or rite-of-passage. Maybe "adult legend tripping"?

How about "ostention"? - Instance of an urban legend being unwittingly acted out in real life. (Knowingly acting out an urban legend is called "pseudo-ostension.") [source]

Folklorists Linda Dégh and Andrew Vázsonyi appropriated the term in their 1983 article "Does the word 'dog' bite? Ostensive Action as a Means of Legend-Telling" to refer to ways in which real-life actions are guided by legends.

For instance, legends of contaminated Halloween candy predated the finding of actual contaminants in treats by at least ten years (Dégh and Vázsonyi, 1983). Individuals who placed needles, razor blades and other dangerous objects in treats as pranks engaged in a form of ostension. The theory of ostension explains how easily certain elements can pass from legend to ritualised action.

Entire legend plots can be reduced to an allusive action. If a narrative is widely known individuals may become involved in real life activities based on all or part of that narrative. This is ostension in action; when legend alters or shapes the behavior of people. Real events patterned on an urban legend, fact mirroring fiction.

In a nutshell?

To folklorists, ostension is the real-life occurrence of events described by a legend. Legends we live.

http://www.ostension..._ostension.html