Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

What's the worst place to be stung by a bee ?

UM-Bot

Being stung can be painful at the best of times but some areas can hurt a lot more than others.

Having maintained an interest in the evolution and behavior of bees for some time, graduate student Michael Smith decided to try and answer one of the age-old questions about bee stings - what is the absolute worst place to get stung ?

Read More: http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/news/264802/whats-the-worst-place-to-be-stung-by-a-bee

What a stupid question to try and answer and why would it even matter? One can make an educated guess by saying the place on the body with the most nerve cells. I think this guy likes pain.

• Like 1

Just the common areas? I was hoping he stung every inch of his body.

• Like 1

I doubt he tried certain areas. I am sure of one that would be on top.

• Like 5

The quick--the line between the lowest part of the fingernail and the cuticle itself. I was stung there once (on the thumb) and you get a sense of what it's like to have your nail torn out--only a semblance, I'm sure.

It wouldn't really matter how much it hurt. One sting could kill me, so I carry an EpiPen.

• Like 2

Wow, what an interesting and very important, life changing study. That is similar to scientist discover eat a lot makes you fat, and shooting yourself in the face could kill you. What would the world do without people like this.

Mike

• Like 4

If this person was using honey bees he was killing them to boot as honey bees, which are endangered, can only sting once. He should have used a "yellow jacket" it can sting you as often as it wants and they are vinditive SOBs. My Irish Setter made the mistake of accidentally disturbing a nest in some pine needles. The little buggers not only stung us all over, but followed us as we ran away! One of them took up in my hair and another did get my groin by going up my pant leg.

Edited by paperdyer
  • Like 2

Eyeball would beat all those. But seriously, I think this guy has a fetish or something...

• Like 3

Wow, what an interesting and very important, life changing study. That is similar to scientist discover eat a lot makes you fat, and shooting yourself in the face could kill you. What would the world do without people like this.

Mike

LOL, you made me laugh. Thanks! :)

Eyeball would beat all those. But seriously, I think this guy has a fetish or something...

Maybe it's just me but reading your comment and seeing your avatar contains a man with an eyepatch made me giggle a bit.

So, I'm just gonna stay inside and not get stung, if that's cool...

I got stung, on the nose, by one of these ****ers! I can swear it was one of the most painful things that I can remember. My nose felt like it was on fire, my eyes were swollen, my whole head ached.

Oriental Hornet (Vespa Orientalis)

This picture is about the actual size of these monsters, you can see an average fly next to the one on the right....

http://radaronelson.files.wordpress.com/2012/05/hornet-nest.jpg

On a beach in deep southern west Mexico I was drinking a beer when a bee/wasp landed on the inside of the beer bottle neck. As I took a drink it went into my mouth and stung me on the inside of my cheek. Within a few minutes the side of my face started swelling and it felt like my skin was on fire. By the time I got back to town my left eye, nostiles and mouth were swollen shut and the burning continued to get worse. I even had to stick a straw between my lips just to breathe. Luckily, being Mexico in the early '80s I was able to get a decent supply of really good pain/sleep pills otc. using the pills I was able to stay/sleep in my hammock for almost 3 days before the swelling subsided and I could open my mouth and throat enough to start eating again. to this day I check any bottle I drink out of. Was that the worst bee sting pain? I don't know. But it sure ****ed me up.

What is wrong with this guy? Reading this I had to relive every bee sting I've had and it gives me the willies.

Worst bee sting I've ever had was my first one. Didn't hurt more than any of the others since, but my hand swelled up to literally three times its size and stayed that way for almost two weeks. It wasn't fun.

Agreed, eyeball would be insanely painful.

My grandfather got stung on his tongue when he was a lad :/

i think the worst place to be stung would be in the eyeball

Probably, anything that might hurt worse is generally not exposed to the public, unless you're a naturist.

Anywhere. Anytime at all.