Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

End of Windows XP support

Still Waters

Microsoft will end support for the persistently popular Windows XP on Tuesday, and the move could put everything from the operations of heavy industry to the identities of everyday people in danger.

An estimated 30 percent of computers being used by businesses and consumers around the world are still running the 12-year-old operating system.

http://seattletimes....theendofxp.html

• Like 1

WoooW, XP 12 years old, i thought it was much much older

You mean that graveyard of old computers in my closet that run on XP aren't going to work anymore?

:)

ah..... childhood nostalgia

Well, I am relieved that when we move, we're getting new PCs. I just hope it's not an upgrade to Windows 8. 7 will do just fine for me.

You mean that graveyard of old computers in my closet that run on XP aren't going to work anymore?

Oh..they will still work just fine. I am still using XP and if I am forced to change I might have to use Linux Mint or something.

• Like 4

No, they will al still work, Microsoft just won't be patching any vulnerabilites in the future. Most software developers wil cesae building for XP as well.

• Like 1

Just my luck. I just retired ny ME and got my XP connected.

True story, bro.

Woo hoooo ~ XP OPen SOurce here we come !!

And our goverment (The Netherlands) has just signed a deal with Microsoft for 2 more years of protection since they have not completly migrated from Windows XP yet... This seems to be a better time then any to switch.

Apparently the U.K has signed a similar deal.

http://www.zdnet.com/dutch-government-pays-millions-to-extend-microsoft-xp-support-7000028116/

Oh..they will still work just fine. I am still using XP and if I am forced to change I might have to use Linux Mint or something.

Linux Mint Xfce is a pretty operating system and the Long Term Release coming soon is among the best candidate in the open-source world for XP users that simply can't or don't want an upgrade to Windows 7.

Just take a look by yourself.

[media=]

[/media]

Other options include Xubuntu, Lubuntu, Ubuntu Gnome for low-end hardwares, around 2GB RAM.

Edited by sam_comm
  • Like 2

http://www.zdnet.com/why-linux-mint-is-a-worthwhile-windows-xp-replacement-7000027858/

I may try Linux too. I had a bad experience today when I upgraded my AV to it's new version. I wasn't able to run a lot of things that were fine before I did the upgrade. The AV support person I got on the phone tried to sell me protection for $180 a year and said my problem came from XP. Not believing that and now I'm afraid to upload anymore updates from the AV. The funniest thing was that I was using Firefox when it happened, but when I opened Chrome, everything worked fine. Firefox still wouldn't. Took Firefox out and am using Chrome now.

http://www.zdnet.com...ent-7000027858/

I may try Linux too. I had a bad experience today when I upgraded my AV to it's new version. I wasn't able to run a lot of things that were fine before I did the upgrade. The AV support person I got on the phone tried to sell me protection for $180 a year and said my problem came from XP. Not believing that and now I'm afraid to upload anymore updates from the AV. The funniest thing was that I was using Firefox when it happened, but when I opened Chrome, everything worked fine. Firefox still wouldn't. Took Firefox out and am using Chrome now.

Sound slike you got hit by adware and possibly worse. Download Malwarebytes here http://www.malwarebytes.org/downloads/ and make sure to uncheck the trial optionunless you want to buy it for $25.

Thanks Merc14. I use Malwarebytes also and ran a full scan last night. It didn't detect anything. I just don't want to download Avast anymore. Hope that removing Firefox cleaned out the problem.

Thanks Merc14. I use Malwarebytes also and ran a full scan last night. It didn't detect anything. I just don't want to download Avast anymore. Hope that removing Firefox cleaned out the problem.

Try ClamWin Antivirus, it is free and open source.

• Like 1

Other people seem to be having issues with Avast's upgrade too if they run XP. Can we say, exploitation?

I updated Avast today evidently, or maybe it updated itself, and have not had any problems. I use Firefox.

http://www.zdnet.com/why-linux-mint-is-a-worthwhile-windows-xp-replacement-7000027858/

Try combofix as well. It's great for root viruses.

I updated Avast today evidently, or maybe it updated itself, and have not had any problems. I use Firefox.

I have avast on an XP machine too. No problems yet.

I uploaded AVG and ran a scan. It found 2 pieces of adware with avast's name on it and removed it. Having a hard time getting on facebook but got in here. Don't know if I can clean this up or not. Had a real hard time when I tried to reload Firefox. That wasn't successful either. Still on Chrome.

Edited by susieice

I uploaded AVG and ran a scan. It found 2 pieces of adware with avast's name on it and removed it. Having a hard time getting on facebook but got in here. Don't know if I can clean this up or not. Had a real hard time when I tried to reload Firefox. That wasn't successful either. Still on Chrome.

Can you do a system restore to before the AV upgrade?

Clearly there is something anormal going on with your computer.

Like Orcseeker suggested, run a deep scan with a powerful tool called Combofix that you can safely find right here: http://www.bleepingc...combofix/dl/12/

Then, if all is in order, get CCleaner, a free tool to clear the junk files accumulated in your system overtime.

That can be found here: https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner

I hope this help, it did for me in the past!

If not, then you might be due to a fresh and full install of an operating system. That may be a good time for you to consider an upgrade to Windows 7 or a go to Linux. You can burn a Linux CD or boot a USB stick and try out a distribution, such as Ubuntu or Linux Mint, depending of your computer specs, and boot it in live mode to try it out as long as you need without commiting to installation.

Edited by sam_comm
  • Like 2

First- thanks for all the help. Been running ok with Chrome. Got on Facebook but I think I'm ready to go to Linux. Been thinking about it all day and it sounds like a good thing to try out. The question is will I be able to get into all the sites I go to now, like here for instance. And will my browsers be compatible. Really like this AVG antivirus and think I'm going to delete Avast. Am taking your advise now sam.

Ran combofix and it found something with avast's name on it too. It's warning me to disable my av's because they can clash.

Edited by susieice

First- thanks for all the help. Been running ok with Chrome. Got on Facebook but I think I'm ready to go to Linux. Been thinking about it all day and it sounds like a good thing to try out. The question is will I be able to get into all the sites I go to now, like here for instance. And will my browsers be compatible. Really like this AVG antivirus and think I'm going to delete Avast. Am taking your advise now sam.

Of course, with Linux you can go everywhere you want to go online just like Windows, using a web browser. Firefox, being open-source, is the default browser in major Linux distros such as Ubuntu and Linux Mint. But you can download Google Chrome or Opera for exemple. It's up to you. They do support Linux. You do not need antivirus softwares on Linux either, as Windows viruses, which consitute at least 90% of online threats, have no effect on it.

In my opinion Ubuntu and Linux Mint are good alternatives to Windows, mainly because it's free, quite user-friendly once the adjustement is made and does very well the basic tasks that most people use a computer for, that is web browsing, word processing, chating and so on.

Fore more: http://www.ibtimes.c...dows-xp-1443808 and here: http://www.zdnet.com...ent-7000027858/

Hope this help!

Ran combofix and it found something with avast's name on it too. It's warning me to disable my av's because they can clash.

Using Combofix I personally didn't disabled my antivirus software despite the warning, and it didn't cause me any trouble. It's up to you.

Edited by sam_comm
  • Like 2