Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

End of Windows XP support

Still Waters

Best have the 'native' (specific Linux) peripheral or device drivers for them ~ the 'General' Device drivers wont fully utilise the functions of the devices in question ~

Linux used to have problems with onboard graphic and sound devices but these days it should be well covered ~

• Like 1

I never had problem with peripherical devices (mouse ,keyboard, speaker or monitor) using Linux. Usually, you just go to the parameters in Ubuntu or Mint and change the basic settings from there if you really need to. Even on Windows I don't need the specific drivers and third-party softwares proposed for ''optimized'' use of my peripherals

Most people just want something that works! :)

Edited by sam_comm
  • Like 2

Yeah basic home use is not that much affected ~ in an graphic or some professional specific devices environment ~ it does make a lot of difference ~

As I mentioned earlier ~ most products these days do come with specific native drivers ~ if not provided by Linux then the vendors/manufacturers do have it upon request ~

~

I'm not doing too good here. I went into Linux site to see if I could check on my order and Cinammon is still in my cart even though I paid for it. Can't find a contact number to speak to anyone. Anybody have this problem or know how to call them? I don't know what happened. I didn't see XFCE there.

Edited by susieice

I noticed XP was getting really slow and not recognising new programmes or CD games.

• Like 1

I'm having an awful time running XP. A woman I work with is having trouble with Windows 7. Another one bought a new tower with Windows 8.1 and had to buy a new printer even though the one she had was only 2 years old. Hope I hear from Linux soon. This is terrible.

I'm not doing too good here. I went into Linux site to see if I could check on my order and Cinammon is still in my cart even though I paid for it. Can't find a contact number to speak to anyone. Anybody have this problem or know how to call them? I don't know what happened. I didn't see XFCE there.

That's really odd... Are you able to check your bank transaction to see where the payment went to and trying to contact them from that information? Normally it is standard procedure to have a contact or support especially when payment is involved on a legitimate website.

• Like 1

osdisc.com is a legitimate website, recommended by the Linux Mint community.

I have never purchased anything there, as I learned to burned DVD or boot USB stick myself to install Linux, so I do not know how they proceed exactly. Usually when your buy online you receive an email confirmation mentionning that your order has been shipped at your adress.

There is a contact page with email, phoner number, and adress on their website, right here: https://www.osdisc.c...port/index.html

Good luck!

Edited by sam_comm
  • Like 1

I'm so happy! They came today! They must have left the last thing I ordered on the cart. I did check the bank and the payments were as they should have been. It's all good.

I'm really late getting home from work tonight. Went shopping and the store's fire alarms went off. Had to evacuate and wait about 45 minutes til I could go back inside.

Will do the switch tomorrow. Don't know which one I'll try. Thinking Cinammon. The tech at work uses Linux too and told me it takes about 514MB of RAM to install. I have .99GB of RAM left so I should be fine. He told me about the hard drive opening up too. As long as the mouse, monitor, etc works I'm good to go.

• Like 1

I tried to download Linux a couple times today. I went into my computer, opened D:, inserted disc, and all I get is an hourglass that goes forever. I tried running D: also and same thing. Is there something else I should be doing to open the disc?

I tried to download Linux a couple times today. I went into my computer, opened D:, inserted disc, and all I get is an hourglass that goes forever. I tried running D: also and same thing. Is there something else I should be doing to open the disc?

Normally no, just just have to assure yourself that your optical drive is before the HDD in your bios boot loader( exemple: http://www.wikihow.com/Set-Bios-to-Boot-from-a-CD-ROM ) and once the linux distro boots you follow the options to install it. Could you do a print-screen, take a picture or do a quick video to show us exactly what are you trying to do and what does it results into?! Maybe then we could help you a little better!!

• Like 2

OK. I hit F9 when I power up and my boot drives come up. CD ROM is first and highlighted. Enter and my D: lights, but it goes on to Windows, like it's not reading the disc. A friend is going to come help me next weekend. Don't know why it won't read but I do have another one, so I'll try switching it out.

Edited by susieice

The reason why it won't boot is very likely that you have Linux Mint burned on a DVD and not a CD. If so, your computer need to have a DVD player, then you will be able to change the boot order to DVD (not CD) first, before the harddrive.

Duh!! I just looked and that's it. I have DVDs. My other burner is a CD too. Will need to get DVD to load.

I get a lot of ad pop ups here in UM but not in facebook. Weird.

OMG I did it!! I am in Cinammon and loving it!

• Like 1

How do I download Adobe Flash Player into here? I have no sound and can't play one of my games without it.

How do I download Adobe Flash Player into here? I have no sound and can't play one of my games without it.

Have you tried going into the repository and seeing if it was there under software options?

That's odd, for in Linux Mint, the Adobe Flash Player plug-in comes ''out-of-the-box'' installed by default as well as Java and video codecs. One does not need to install them and the updates are taken in charge by the Update Manager.

Trying a youtube video will confirm if it works or not. If not, the Adobe Flash Player, as well a thousands of apps can be found in the Mint Software Center. There you may try to uninstall/install it and see it that solves the problem.

Edited by sam_comm

I found it in software manager and it says it isn't installed but has an install option that didn't work. I'll work on it this afternoon and see what happens. Haven't figured things out yet.

Adobe Flash Player probably is blocked by the critical update status ~ old versions flagged as critical / dangerous will not install or will be auto disabled until verified by Adobe Update Status App ~ check which latest version is 'safe' for Linux ~ or Windows / Mac too for that matter ~

Ok. Just ordered 13 Mate (Maya). Will reload when it gets here and see if that helps. This is driving me nuts!!

Update -

Microsoft has issued a patch for a security vulnerability in Internet Explorer to all versions of Windows, including Windows XP, despite claiming it would release no more patches for the outdated operating system after 8 April 2014.

http://www.telegraph...Windows-XP.html

• Like 1

This bug was quite a big deal. XP still has ~25% of windows market share but kudos to microsoft for doing this. The vulnerability was bad enough to probably avoid Internet explorer forever that time on, on XP.

I updated a pentium 4 to windows 8.1 recently. Runs very well. Was surprised. Replaced Windows 7 on my computer with Windows 8.1 pro a few days ago as well. Very happy with the new OS. Definitely a major improvement in operations and features. Giving the UI a go before I install any plugins and seeing if it can grow on me with no touchscreen (my surface RT with 8.1 basically needs the tiled interface). I now have more windows 7 keys than I can handle.

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

That's why because you should of when you got the XP is put all the updates on CD ROM as they came throughout the years. And XP hasn't been that so long ago developed