Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Is an out-of-body experience a hallucination?

Still Waters

Is astral projection or an out-of-body experience (OOBE) merely a form of hallucination? This is what some neuroscientists in Canada think, after watching what is happening in the brain of a young woman who is able to induce OOBE at will.

http://lifestyle.inq...e-hallucination

I think they should tried a few tests before making such a determination on one subject like placing an object in an adjacent room then getting her to find it and describe upon waking or sitting up when called to or something like that.

There must be more to come if she is a willing participant, if not then the whole deal may be suspect.

• Like 1

This conclusion off one datum point. Thats professional of them -_-

Of course when you assume that something must be physical in nature you will interpret anything that you find as a confirmation bias.

Quite obviously if there is a spirit body it must interact and feed the physical body with information, otherwise how would you remember anything when not OOB. There is an interface. The problem is that when you have severe confirmation bias the other possibility is not fleshed out properly, not are other facts taken into consideration. They are using brain imaging to determin these things, brain imaging relies on radioactive dies inserted into the blood stream. When blood flows to specific areas of the brain the imager pics up on the radioactive concentration to determin where the blood is concentrated at. What they are failing to recognize is the the majority off OOBEs happen during cardiac arrest......... WHEN BLOOD IS NOT FLOWING. I am eternally perplexed at these people drawing conclusions from these malformed and uninformed "researchers". It ends up just looking like Rhetoric.

There is an interface that has been observed for thousands of years... It's even mentioned in the bible. The silver cord is the representation of the interface between the spirit body and the physical.

One of these days in going to make a peanut butter helmet. When you put it on it makes you taste peanut butter, then I'm going to make an argument the peanuts don't exist because its all in your head.

• Like 3

• 3 months later...

I think this to be a foolish conclusion, in particular for NDE, as the willing participant was not clinically dead.

• 2 weeks later...
“The brain scans show that she’s going through what she is claiming, but that does not mean her ‘soul’ is getting out of her body. This is not an astral trip described by mystics. There is no paranormal activity of any kind… Scientists believe that these out-of-body experiences are a type of hallucination triggered by some neurological mechanism. This neurological mechanism may be present in other people, too, and some people, like this woman, may train themselves to activate it.”

Read more: http://lifestyle.inquirer.net/156426/is-an-out-of-body-experience-a-mere-hallucination#ixzz39qqatWOZ

Follow us: @inquirerdotnet on Twitter | inquirerdotnet on Facebook

This is not a simple hallucination. What i find interesting is that they refuse to acknowledge the Soul when in fact the scans show exactly what she is telling them.