Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

9 Common Pursuits That Rob Us of Happiness

regeneratia

9 Common Pursuits That Rob Us of Happiness

By Joshua Becker, Becoming Minimalist | April 8, 2014

http://www.theepochtimes.com/n3/609471-9-common-pursuits-that-rob-us-of-happiness/?sidebar=todaysheadline

I like this article. I have to say that I practice all nine recommendations and shun all nine activities that are listed as happiness thieves. I am happy, ... mostly. Peaceful. I have worked to iron out the peaks and troughs of life.

So I was wondering what you all think of this article. But bascially, my objective for this thread is for you all to think about these things. It is not to suggest that you all do it. I just encourage the thoughts.

• Like 3

I'd like to add a few more to the list myself ~ but first I gotta give god a call ~

• Like 1

I'd like to add a few more to the list myself ~ but first I gotta give god a call ~

I would love to know what you would add to it.

I would add, "Get outside and go barefoot when the weather permits."

• Like 3

if only i lived on middle-earth

I sooo should have read that before applying for a new job 20 minutes ago.

• Like 1

I like the Epoch Times, but others have criticized them;

"The Epoch Times has also been criticized for a perceived bias against the CCP, and support of Falun Gong practitioners and other dissidents such as Tibetans, Taiwanese independence advocates, democracy activists, Uyghurs and others. The paper, therefore, is often assessed in light of its connection to Falun Gong, rather than a thorough analysis of its editorial content."

"A perceived bias against the CCP" (Chinese Communist Party). It's not perceived, they are hostile to the CCP, but that's just fine in my books.

I think it has as much to do with personality as anything else... Some people are 'happy' almost all the time, despite "violating" these 9 rules... and some people are unhappy

almost all the time despite following these 9 rules...

Sometimes it's not about "happiness"... it's about being comfortable with who you are...

• Like 5

I agree with it while heartedly. I learned that the hard way about most of those on the list, especially the pleasing other people and pursuing a picture perfect life and also the want for recognition. I always knew though that following the crowd would never lead to happiness.

The one I still struggle with is fear. I do tend to live my life making fear based decisions. It's something I'm trying to stop.

My mom has always said happiness is a decision. So I can definitely agree with the last one.

Only you can choose to be happy. Nothing will make you happy otherwise.

• Like 3

Thanbk you for moving this into the appropriate category. Much obliged.

I don't know who the CCP is.

I like the Epoch Times, but others have criticized them;

"The Epoch Times has also been criticized for a perceived bias against the CCP, and support of Falun Gong practitioners and other dissidents such as Tibetans, Taiwanese independence advocates, democracy activists, Uyghurs and others. The paper, therefore, is often assessed in light of its connection to Falun Gong, rather than a thorough analysis of its editorial content."

"A perceived bias against the CCP" (Chinese Communist Party). It's not perceived, they are hostile to the CCP, but that's just fine in my books.

I think it has as much to do with personality as anything else... Some people are 'happy' almost all the time, despite "violating" these 9 rules... and some people are unhappy

almost all the time despite following these 9 rules...

Sometimes it's not about "happiness"... it's about being comfortable with who you are...

Do you ever notice how much marketing and mainstream society do not want you to reach that self-actualization stage of moslow's? Seems like nearly everything is designed to tell you who you are and what you need, without taking in the consideration that you may already know who you are and what you need.

• Like 4

Very good info indeed. It has been copy/pasted to my notepad and saved. :tu:

Do you ever notice how much marketing and mainstream society do not want you to reach that self-actualization stage of moslow's? Seems like nearly everything is designed to tell you who you are and what you need, without taking in the consideration that you may already know who you are and what you need.

what i need is another cold beer.

And I didn't need the TV to tell me that !