Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

We should give up trying to save the planet

Still Waters

Saving the planet from climate change is 'beyond our ability' and we should stop wasting time trying to tackle global warming, a leading scientist has claimed

James Lovelock, who first detected CFCs in the atmosphere and proposed the Gaia hypotheses, claims society should retreat to 'climate-controlled cities' and give up on large expanses of land which will become uninhabitable.

http://www.telegraph...s-Lovelock.html

Nice idea. They'd have to be guarded, though, to keep out the poor souls who couldn't afford the entrance fee.

• Like 2

the tempo of the earth song by michael jackson is slowing and slowing

• 2 weeks later...

I think that's a ridiculous idea. i don't think we can survive on this earth ALONE... or in bubbles. Small groups might be able to live in bubble towns for awhile.. but it's certainly not a solution.

• Like 1

The earth can save itself quite fine...providing we quit doing stupid things and learn to refine our technology so our devices, homes and industries use less power THEN maybe all these alternative sources can supply us with the energy we need.

• Like 1

Saving the planet from climate change is 'beyond our ability' and we should stop wasting time trying to tackle global warming, a leading scientist has claimed

James Lovelock, who first detected CFCs in the atmosphere and proposed the Gaia hypotheses, claims society should retreat to 'climate-controlled cities' and give up on large expanses of land which will become uninhabitable.

Saving "the planet" from climate change means saving ourselves from climate change. Extinction for us is a real possibility. Is he saying we should go extinct?

Doug

Idiotic comment. Until we try it, we have no idea what we can achieve.

• Like 1

I think this could work...

except for a few minor problems... like:

No agriculture - or at least not enough - which means no food...

No resources gathered -whcih means no ability to maintain the "bubbles"...

Strict (i.e. Harsh) population/breeding control so we don't need to build more or bigger bubbles...

I think this is a brilliant idea... except for the whole "destruction of the human race/ civilization" thing...

• Like 2