Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Something In Common

BuffY

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Homer

• Loonboy

• Kira

• FreyKade

Top Posters In This Topic

DS,

I'm not trying to draw you anywhere. You made a comment, and I made a correction to your comment. biggrin.gif

Edited by Homer

hey that's something we have in common. tongue.gif

(I think I'm in good company) wink.gif

homer, what about the fact that yiou keep yourself alive to hel others,......so eating would be both helping yourself and others...

Loonboy Posted on Mar 4 2003, 10:19 PM

we have way too much time on our hands guys)

oh yes this is so true but as KC said

hey that's something we have in common.  (I think I'm in good company)

biggrin.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

homer, what about the fact that yiou keep yourself alive to hel others,......so eating would be both helping yourself and others...

skalra63,

I had that covered, that is why I said a person staying alive who lives in seclusion, so their life benefits nobody. Nice try, but I can't be defeated in this debate by anyone smile.gif

Nice try, but I can't be defeated in this debate by anyone smile.gif

Sure you can, however indirectly the benefit may seem, you are helping others if you live in seclusion. You've opened up living space to someone else who may not have otherwise found a dwelling, unless you grow your own food utilizing everything from nature and/or wear fig leaves for clothing, someone benefits from you buying whatever you need to sustain life. It may seem insignificant at first blush, but it grows over a lifetime. The simple act of being born gave purpose to someone's profession, not to mention the relief it brought your mother, which undoubtedly was a benefit. You could even take it further and speculate that your seclusion may have saved the lives of countless people you might have killed in a car accident or gunned down in a fit of uncontrolled rage. Even without trying, there are many benefits to be had just by being alive, there are only degrees of significance that can be argued, albeit not very convincingly.

Edited by Magikman

Ahh Magik I knew you would show up biggrin.gif

Just adding a little to the whole benefiting others = Good Karma debate .

My job consists of going out of my way to make peoples days better, brighter and more enjoyable , crappy crap crap crap It dosent do me any good . I must have been really bad in a previos life , to have to smile and say" thank you" and "yes It is chilly out isn't it" to prats with IQ's lower than my shoe size who like to speak slowly so that I understand them . dry.gif

Don't get me wrong I also do completely selfless stuff , I used to help a familly with a severly brain injured daughter but I have had to stop that and take time out for me because I was slowly losing the plot . You can only give so much before you have to start being selfish.

I promise when work slows down I will be straight back to helping with my little angel .

Nice try Magik smile.gif

But you fail to grasp the purpose of my posts, and the wording of the statement. I was referring to someone living in complete seclusion, where there is no interaction with another person. Throughout the entire universe, one could argue that anything and everything either directly or indirectly influences everything else, and when you take it to the extreme, that is true.

But it seems you haven’t really read the statement: "Nothing really matters in this life unless it is done for the benefit of others". LB and myself have given examples where it is necessary to do things that benefit only yourself, such as staying alive. If a person in total seclusion for the rest of their life dies, how does that either benefit or not benefit someone else? It doesn’t. So my point is there are things that are necessary for survival that benefit an individual only. This is also to the extreme, but it is an accurate example.

So no, I can’t be defeated in this debate. smile.gif

Oh sod it. I say :

The things that matter most in life, are those that are done for

the benefit of others...

cool.gif

Reminds me of a movie, I think it's called

'A Christmas Carol'. I really liked the happy

ending. smile.gif

The things that matter most in life, are those that are done for

the benefit of others...

Excellent statement LB, and I wholeheartedly agree smile.gif

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

i kind of agree w/ the multidimensional thingie... someday we might be a dog, someday we might be...a grey... hehehehehehe...

'we are not alone'.......i agreee with that, even if the others are just in our minds

• 1 month later...

What about the idea that another "dimension" branches out as a result of your actions? So if you get hit by a car, somewhere else you don't get hit and win the Olympics?

I honestly believe destiny is not really a set course, it's a flexible thing that's really how a particular "you" ends up, like in one of those books were you get to choose the direction the story goes.

• 2 weeks later...