Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

FEDS move in on rancher - Remove Cattle

acidhead

lol, to mine cow sht? lol, but isn't that land a home of protected species??? would they even give mining rights there?

Yes, I doubt they would in that area but many areas of BLM in Nevada and Arizona still allow mining claims. I had a 40 acre one in Arizona until a few years ago I sold the claim on ebay.

this is what i do not get, blm says he did not pay fees, but if that land is home of protected species, there should be no grazing there at all, fee or no fee ?

Edited by aztek

this is what i do not get, blm says he did not pay fees, but if that land is home of protected species, there should be no grazing there at all, fee or no fee ?

The turtles were not an issue at that time. What happened was when he did not renew he allowed his permit to expire. When it expired in 1994 the BLM canceled the permit as a result. In 1998 Clark County bought the grazing rights allotment from BLM for around 375K and then retired that allotment which meant at that time there were no more allotments available for that area. Clark County did this to protect the turtles which BLM was more then happy as were the environmental groups. Bundy didn't care and kept on grazing his cattle with no legal authority to do so. Then as you know more court battles ensued and court orders, ect. until a decision was reached earlier this year by BLM to do the round up. It had been planned for 2012 but they didn't do it until this year.

Should, but as it was used with permits (fees or no fees) to graze instead of kicking everybody out they imposed the 150 head limit.

On the other side, a few cows would not hurt the protected species, thousands of cows could.

Should, but as it was used with permits (fees or no fees) to graze instead of kicking everybody out they imposed the 150 head limit.

On the other side, a few cows would not hurt the protected species, thousands of cows could.

I live about 30 miles south of Phoenix and we are surrounded by thousands of acres of BLM land and Indian reservations such as the Gila River rez and the AK-Chin rez. I have been out on the BLM hundreds of times doing various things and I have not once come across a desert tortoise down here. I guess its more prevalent in NV?

I live about 30 miles south of Phoenix and we are surrounded by thousands of acres of BLM land and Indian reservations such as the Gila River rez and the AK-Chin rez. I have been out on the BLM hundreds of times doing various things and I have not once come across a desert tortoise down here. I guess its more prevalent in NV?

No idea, but if only one sighting is documented the land usage rules can change really fast on government land. As far as I remember (could be wrong) desert tortoises are on the Washington Agreement list, by which most governments of the world have agreed to protect animals in danger of extinction.

they definatly have strange way of protecting it.

Desert Tortoise Faces Threat From Conservation Center

LAS VEGAS (AP) — For decades, the vulnerable desert tortoise has led a sheltered existence.

Developers have taken pains to keep the animal safe. It's been protected from meddlesome hikers by the threat of prison time. And wildlife officials have set the species up on a sprawling conservation reserve outside Las Vegas.

But the pampered desert dweller now faces a threat from the very people who have nurtured it.

Federal funds are running out at the Desert Tortoise Conservation Center and officials plan to close the site and euthanize hundreds of the tortoises they've been caring for since the animals were added to the endangered species list in 1990.

"It's the lesser of two evils, but it's still evil," said U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service desert tortoise recovery coordinator Roy Averill-Murray during a visit to the soon-to-be-shuttered reserve at the southern edge of the Las Vegas Valley last week.

Desert Tortoise Conservation Center's plan to euthanize hundreds of the tortoises in Nevada by 2014.

http://www.dailypaul.com/316447/desert-tortoise-conservation-centers-plan-to-euthanize-hundreds-of-the-tortoises-in-nevada-by-2014

No idea, but if only one sighting is documented the land usage rules can change really fast on government land. As far as I remember (could be wrong) desert tortoises are on the Washington Agreement list, by which most governments of the world have agreed to protect animals in danger of extinction.

They have already closed most of the areas around me down as I live by the Sonoran Monument area. You can only go on there now either on foot or horse only. No vehicles allowed. They closed one of my favorite sections we used to love camping at back in 2005 and it was only supposed to be for two years according to the ranger I knew that worked that area so that the vegetation could grow back from the ATV and truck damage but it is still closed down today.

LAS VEGAS (AP) — For decades, the vulnerable desert tortoise has led a sheltered existence.

Developers have taken pains to keep the animal safe. It's been protected from meddlesome hikers by the threat of prison time. And wildlife officials have set the species up on a sprawling conservation reserve outside Las Vegas.

But the pampered desert dweller now faces a threat from the very people who have nurtured it.

Federal funds are running out at the Desert Tortoise Conservation Center and officials plan to close the site and euthanize hundreds of the tortoises they've been caring for since the animals were added to the endangered species list in 1990.

"It's the lesser of two evils, but it's still evil," said U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service desert tortoise recovery coordinator Roy Averill-Murray during a visit to the soon-to-be-shuttered reserve at the southern edge of the Las Vegas Valley last week.

Desert Tortoise Conservation Center's plan to euthanize hundreds of the tortoises in Nevada by 2014.

http://www.dailypaul...-nevada-by-2014

Not only tortoises, many formerly endangered species are facing culling, last elephants in SA. The list should be updated from time to time and define geographic areas where the species really is endangered.

That seems pretty moronic to me. I would hope they get word out at least. I'm sure there are many zoos that would take a couple. Not just the bigger city zoos, but every state has a bunch of small local petting type of zoos. Of course I have to take this with a grain of salt because the site is a pretty heavy right hanging publication.

That seems pretty moronic to me. I would hope they get word out at least. I'm sure there are many zoos that would take a couple. Not just the bigger city zoos, but every state has a bunch of small local petting type of zoos. Of course I have to take this with a grain of salt because the site is a pretty heavy right hanging publication.

In this case it is common knowledge of their intent to do so. I am sure if you wanted to verify it their is a place you could search and find the story. I agree with you as to the various zoo's being offered an opportunity to take some or why don't they relocate some to other protected areas. I haven't never seen a desert tortoise in Arizona which is similar type country to that area of Nevada.

I don't think that headline is right. The Conservation Center's plan? Really? And then in the 2nd paragraph yogmama slips into saying "officials plan", which sounds almost half true. Because I don't think this is a "plan" so much as a law, and some laws have precious little to do with conserving endangered species and more to do with unrelated issues like public health and land management. Turtles did fine for 200 million years but the strip malls are too much for them. But three or four telemarketers making a hundred calls a day could either relocate or find new financing or a mixture of both. So long as there's ****g somewhere that doesn't need another ****g parking lot. So I hope they're not just cleaning the poop and watching the clock.

Imagine the fake partisan outcry if Obama called Yellen and bailed out the turtles with new lending and new programs. That's not Goldman Sachs or AIG or Halliburton though so that's not gonna happen.

• Like 1

That article left out every single detail there is....Funny stuff.

First, it is old news.

Real quick, I have to go....

ONly sick, un-healthy tortoises were to be euthinized. Ones that would get others sick, or could not survive on their own.

Statement Regarding Media Reports on Status of Desert Tortoise at the Desert Tortoise Conservation Center in Nevada

Aug 26, 2013

Statement Regarding Media Reports on Status of Desert Tortoise at the Desert Tortoise Conservation Center in Nevada

Recent media reports regarding the status of desert tortoises at the Desert Tortoise Conservation Center (DTCC) have implied that the FWS is currently euthanizing desert tortoises at the facility. We want the public to know that the FWS is not euthanizing healthy tortoises.

The DTCC was established in 1990 to receive wild tortoises in harm’s way from development and has taken in unwanted pets since 1996. Over 1,000 tortoises arrived at the DTCC each year, and approximately 98 percent of those are surrendered or stray pets. Science-based protocols developed for desert tortoises brought to the DTCC have been instrumental in helping the FWS maintain a healthy population of desert tortoise in the wild. Managing to recover desert tortoise, a threatened species, is a complex task in which all options need to be considered, and all risks and benefits to the species must be assessed.

Many pet tortoises, unfortunately, are diseased or otherwise in poor health, and run the risk of spreading disease to wild tortoises. These tortoises cannot be relocated to the wild, or otherwise contribute to recovery of the desert tortoise population. Sometimes euthanasia of unhealthy pet tortoises is necessary, but only as last resort, and only after we evaluate other options. All healthy tortoises at the DTCC will be relocated to sites that will support the recovery of the species.

Progress is being made on translocating the healthy DTCC tortoise population to the wild. A Programmatic Environmental Assessment is complete, and tortoises are already being translocated by the FWS to an approved site in Trout Canyon, Nevada. Public scoping for a second translocation plan was completed Aug 22, 2013, for a proposed translocation area south of Coyote Springs, Nevada.

The Animal Foundation (TAF), Lied Animal Shelter continues to take in unwanted pet tortoises from the public. However, the fact remains that the DTCC does not currently have the capacity or the funding to accept and care for additional tortoises.

Recovery of the desert tortoise in the wild continues to be our top priority. However we are deeply concerned about the growing number of unwanted pets, and will continue to work with our partner agencies toward finding a suitable solution for tortoises that cannot be returned to the wild.

FWS

Edited by Sakari

• 3 weeks later...

more lies by media.

Bundy Supporters Drove ATVs Through Native American Ruins.

except it happened in UTAH, NOT NEVADA, and Bundy's militia had nothing to do with it.

from another article:

The protagonist this time wasn't a private rancher like Cliven Bundy, who prevailed in a standoff with the Bureau of Land Management in Nevada. This protest was the brainchild of a public official, San Juan County Commissioner Phil Lyman, who contends that this town of 3,500 residents has tried hard to compromise with the bureau to reopen scenic Recapture Canyon to all-terrain vehicles.

more lies by media.

Bundy Supporters Drove ATVs Through Native American Ruins.

except it happened in UTAH, NOT NEVADA, and Bundy's militia had nothing to do with it.

from another article:

The protagonist this time wasn't a private rancher like Cliven Bundy, who prevailed in a standoff with the Bureau of Land Management in Nevada. This protest was the brainchild of a public official, San Juan County Commissioner Phil Lyman, who contends that this town of 3,500 residents has tried hard to compromise with the bureau to reopen scenic Recapture Canyon to all-terrain vehicles.

They are just as ignorant.

These are not native ruins?

AP090811065995-638x425.jpg

You can twist and turn all sorts of things to accomplish a conspiracy theory. Pictures do not lie. That is where they drove through.( that area )

In Nevada all ATV travel has been prohibited, except on roads. Because in those areas, ATV,s, and 4x4's were tearing up the terrain.

BLM, once again, is doing what they are there for, protecting the environment for our childrens children to enjoy.

If you are ok with just tearing everything up, because you are to lazy to hike, then I do not know what to tell you, except that is is selfish.

They are just as ignorant.

These are not native ruins?

AP090811065995-638x425.jpg

You can twist and turn all sorts of things to accomplish a conspiracy theory. Pictures do not lie. That is where they drove through.( that area )

In Nevada all ATV travel has been prohibited, except on roads. Because in those areas, ATV,s, and 4x4's were tearing up the terrain.

BLM, once again, is doing what they are there for, protecting the environment for our childrens children to enjoy.

If you are ok with just tearing everything up, because you are to lazy to hike, then I do not know what to tell you, except that is is selfish.

wow, you sound like brainwashed blm fanboy.

nothing in my post implied that blm is wrong ( on this one at least), nothing about me being ok with tearing up ancient ruins. just that media lied by saying bundy's boys did it. while they have nothing to do with it,

btw pic do not lie, i do not see atvs on that pic.

• Like 1

wow, you sound like brainwashed blm fanboy.

nothing in my post implied that blm is wrong ( on this one at least), nothing about me being ok with tearing up ancient ruins. just that media lied by saying bundy's boys did it. while they have nothing to do with it,

I replied to the reply, not the replier.

" you " is being used in general.

Why I said.......

That is where they drove through.( that area )

As for a " BLM Fan Boy "......That will work. If tyou read any of my replies on this thread, you would know why.

Edited by Sakari

I'm all for knocking the government down a peg, but I found their ATV protest kind of silly. If I remember right, the Do Not Enter Zone is a 14 mile strip inside of a 3000 square mile area. They're protesting over a very small restriction in an otherwise completely open-to-the-public area.

They need to find more worthwhile things to protest about.

• Like 1