Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Why Do Cat Knead?

Davros of Skaro

Why do they do the dough kneading?

Mew!

• Like 1

This is a guess, based on observation... i think maybe it's to fluff up stuff on the ground to make their "bed" , or nest for the kittens, warmer and softer?

The fact that they do it to your favorite chair instead of stuff on the ground is that instinct in action.. Not to P you off.

Edited by lightly

OMG! Look at the related videos and click on "Guilty Dogs"...hilarious as well!

Edited by Lilly
spelling error
  • Like 1

I'm in tears the cat man was hysterical - well they both were :clap:

• Like 1

Kittens knead while nursing to stimulate the flow of milk. Since kneading gives them a pleasant reward (milk) many carry this behavior over into adult hood and substitute the reward of food for that of being petted, scratched, etcetera. Some cats drool while doing this suggesting it is (or was as a kitten) a feeding based Pavlovian type response. Not all cats do this BTW.

• Like 4

Oh my goodness...Asadora, you found one of the funniest things I've seen in a long time! Priceless!

Haha - glad you like it:)

If you look at the other videos by the same people, you'll see they did a second one cat-friend vs dog-friend 2

It took me ten minutes to stop laughing before I was able to post it. It's priceless! :tsu:

"Kittens knead while nursing to stimulate the flow of milk. Since kneading gives them a pleasant reward (milk) many carry this behavior over into adult hood"

Sundrew beat me to the answer. They do need cause its comforting to them.. as its what they did as a kitten to get milk so brings them pleasable feeling.

• Like 4

"Kittens knead while nursing to stimulate the flow of milk. Since kneading gives them a pleasant reward (milk) many carry this behavior over into adult hood"

Sundrew beat me to the answer. They do need cause its comforting to them.. as its what they did as a kitten to get milk so brings them pleasable feeling.

Oh yes, I'm sure it is comforting to them, but not very comforting to the one being kneaded on as the cat's claws dig into you. And the cat glares at you, 'I can kill you at any time. Don't displease your Master.'

What about the cat snots? Every cat I have had, when they knead my chest they become very snotty. I'm not sure why that is.

Oh yes, I'm sure it is comforting to them, but not very comforting to the one being kneaded on as the cat's claws dig into you. And the cat glares at you, 'I can kill you at any time. Don't displease your Master.'

What about the cat snots? Every cat I have had, when they knead my chest they become very snotty. I'm not sure why that is.

My car kneads a lot and I haven't seen a single booger.

• Like 1

My car kneads a lot and I haven't seen a single booger.

Maybe my cats have been allergic to me! haha

OMG! Look at the related videos and click on "Guilty Dogs"...hilarious as well!

Notice that animals while doing something wrong have the ability to realize they did wrong.

• Like 1

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that I don't think cats care what is right, or what is wrong. I've never gotten what I perceive as a 'I'm sorry I clawed up your curtains and peed on your couch.' apologetic look.

Cats have more of a sense of 'entitlement' and as humans, we just let them walk all over us.

I really laughing to that guilty dog video :) There's some other ones too that are so funny :)

I believe I answered that, kneading is a feeding response, and when you anticipate food you produce saliva, which is why kneading cats sometimes drool all over you. See: Pavlov's Dogs.

I believe I answered that, kneading is a feeding response, and when you anticipate food you produce saliva, which is why kneading cats sometimes drool all over you. See: Pavlov's Dogs.

Well done!

:clap:

Brilliant dog/cat friends videos! Sooo true to form.

My cats used to knead a lot when they were little but they are old now (11 and 13)

The older one bites my leg when she is hungry and she grooms my eyebrows ....no more trips to the beauticians needed for me. she rips my stray eyebrows out with her hairy tongue :D

I wonder if this could be a new fangled beauty treatment!!! Don't bother going to a salon to get your monobrow threaded/waxed ...get on over to Amat's and have a cat lick it off!

I see $$$$$ ....kerrr-ching!!!

Edited by amaterasu