Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Rare oarfish sighted off coast of Mexico

Still Waters

An elusive 15ft oarfish was spotted swimming in shallow waters in the Sea of Cortez in Mexico by tour guides from Un-Cruise Adventures.

Lia Stamatiou, expedition leader for Un-Cruise Adventures said: "I learned about the oarfish as one of those fish you study but never see.

"Seeing it swim up to us on the beach I was completely stunned.

http://www.telegraph...-of-Mexico.html

• Like 2

Wow. I would have got out of the water fast not knowing what the heck that was.

• Like 2

Very sad really, these are deep sea fish and they usually only come near the surface when stressed, dying or dead. I believe they can grow to become the longest bony fish in the world, about 35 feet or so, so this one was still young. Very cool animal rarely seen alive.

I saw somewhere that the people on shore thought at least one of them was trying to beach itself, so they were very lucky to take the film while it was alive. They are quite beautiful and graceful when they swim.

I like turtles

there is something wrong with that fish, poor guy, seems like he got too drunk and lost his way home.

That was an awesome video. I wish I had taken that.

Edited by DieChecker

Supposedly they only come to the surface to die. They are deep water fish, I think, and so usually die if they get to far up toward the surface.

But this one was not really so long, so it was probably pretty young, and maybe the younger ones don't go as deep?

• Like 2

I read in a couple places that in folklore the oarfish is a messenger from the Sea God's palace and is only shows up on beaches to predict earthquakes... anybody else hear about the 7.2 earthquake in Mexico last week?