Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Is it possible to regenerate our organs ?

UM-Bot

In what is being hailed as a world first, scientists have succeeded in regenerating an organ in mice.

In the popular science fiction TV series 'Doctor Who' the titular Time Lord famously cheats death by regenerating his entire body and now scientists believe that it may be possible to do something similar with specific organs in humans.

Read More: http://www.unexplain...rate-our-organs

Next stop, live forever!!

• Like 1

Unless they can regenerate an old brain, senility would eventually get everyone anyway and, um, er, what was I just saying?

• Like 1

Yes because yes

We already regenerate our brains naturally, as well as all our other organs as cells die and are replaced. There may be a few where this doesn't happen, but I seem to recall that idea being replaced. I would guess senility happens because of diseases and strokes and so on and if we can regenerate the damaged brain material, it wouldn't be all that different than when nature does it.

• Like 1

Living forever would be a total disaster to the planet earth! It is already over populated and cannot feed and support all its inhabitants as it is!

We are born, we live the time that is given to us, then we die, that is the natural cycle of nature! The old pass on and the young take their place!

If we were to even increase the average life expectancy by as little as 20 years let alone living for hundreds of years the entire world would collapse! There is a good reason we have an expiry date, im all for keeping people healthy and fighting disease, but this technology should never be allowed to prolong a natural life expectancy!

I have a friend that needs to grow a new liver.

to heck with regeneration I would just be happy with having them (my organs) not go bad in the first place if my pancreas would make insulin like it was suppose to I would not be diabetic. regeneration will only make another one that doesn't work right to start with

Edited by mysticwerewolf

Living forever would be a total disaster to the planet earth! It is already over populated and cannot feed and support all its I

nhabitants as it is!

We are born, we live the time that is given to us, then we die, that is the natural cycle of nature! The old pass on and the young take their place!

If we were to even increase the average life expectancy by as little as 20 years let alone living for hundreds of years the entire world would collapse! There is a good reason we have an expiry date, im all for keeping people healthy and fighting disease, but this technology should never be allowed to prolong a natural life expectancy!

I politely disagree. Not only would living an extended life brain willing be a benefit. The live forever bit at its extreme would help us to colonize the known universe. Also people live longer now than they ever have. 55 was a common ageof expiration a couple hundred years ago. Now 75 is common with many living much longer. 85 and 90 is quite reasonable to consider living to. We adapt.

As others have said.... yes and yes.

People constantly are scared of science and feel money is constantly wasted on research. I find that disheartening. :(

• Like 1

Nah, you'd die of boredom, how many exciting moments happen in your life between the boring bits...and an organism born to a terrestrial environment would inevitably degrade in a space environment, let alone another biome...

Heaps of research into this with some folks grabbing scaffolding from from some poor beggars corps and then stripping it in order to grow the recipients cells on it for transplant, others are using the body of the recipient itself to grow noses and ears...

So who's got the money to live forever...either buying the tech or living long enough to benefit from Govt freebie health schemes?

I'd like regeneration, it would be nice that if you loose an arm or finger, that you get a shot and it grows back.

As to living forever, that would require fixing the issue of DNA damages that happen over time and eventually prevend cell reproduction. Totally different issue.

• Like 1

I'd like regeneration, it would be nice that if you loose an arm or finger, that you get a shot and it grows back.

As to living forever, that would require fixing the issue of DNA damages that happen over time and eventually prevend cell reproduction. Totally different issue.

Different issue, true, but organ regeneration makes it easier and progress on the DNA and RNA issues are being made too.

Living forever would be a total disaster to the planet earth! It is already over populated and cannot feed and support all its inhabitants as it is!

Regardless, I'd still want to live forever if possible.