Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Lucid Dreaming - What's it Like?

StarMountainKid

I've been thinking recently about lucid dreaming. I've never attempted it, don't really know much about it. My usual dreams are pretty interesting as they are.

My question is, what's it like to have a lucid dream? What about the dreams we don't remember, are they lucid also? Do lucid dreams interfere with the benefits to the brain of natural dreaming? Can I do anything I want in a lucid dream or is the setting of the dream a normal dream place and I have the ability to do what I want within that dream?

As you can tell, I have lots of questions.

It's very easy to wake yourself up without discipline, you more often than not get five seconds of realizing where you are, SENTIENT AND IN YOUR OWN DREAM - WOW THIS IS KINDA FREAKY - BOOM - You're awake.

• Like 1

I've been aware I was in a dream two times in my life(never tried to do so intentionally) and both times it was difficult to maintain that awareness. It's easy to let that knowledge slip your mind and get wound up in the dream again.

• Like 1

I do it regularly. I've found that having something that you identify as being in the room you sleep in be the last thing you see helps.

For example.

I have a specific picture on my wall that I look at as I go to sleep, when that picture appears somewhere else in my dream, it helps me realize I'm asleep.

I would compare it to godlike power, once you realize its your mind you're in, you can shape it to your imagination's limit.

When I was in the Navy, I was diagnosed with Chronic Insomnia, my refusal to take sleeping pills lead to many strange things such as micro-sleep episodes, hallucinations, missing time, etc. One of the positives of this time was I learned how to induce lucid dreams at will. Learning how took a bit of practice but since I did not sleep very often anyway, I would give it my best shot almost daily. Lucid dreams, from my point of view are, often more scary after I realize that I am dreaming, because with practice, you can stay lucid and control dreams. I would often have a very mundane dream and once something out of place is noticed, I would realize I am dreaming, attempt to fly around or change things, but I would think about scary things and they would appear, such as a zombie version of my dad chasing me around my apartment. All around it is interesting and I have remembered, clearly, all my lucid dreams. The best technique I read about for inducing dreams is to periodically try and stick your index finger through the palm of your other hand every time something is strange or out of place in real life, this way in your dream you will do it without thinking about it, and when your finger actually goes through your palm, it will remind you that you are dreaming. This may sound dumb but it really works.

Last night I had a dream in which I realized I was in a dream. I was lost in a city, walking around not knowing where I was or what to do. What frightened me, besides being hopelessly lost, was the thought that I might not wake up. The other odd thing was, I somehow knew that me as the dreamer dreaming this dream was in a dream also.

I woke up in a start from this dream, sitting up. It was interesting, but not a nice dream to be in. I suppose if I were lucid in this dream, what would I have done?

Very generally, lucid dreaming is just what you described, being aware you are dreaming. I find this to be different though, from the intense lucid dreams that you can control, because usually when a beginner first realizes they are lucid, that is what immediately wakes them up. Another thing is, while you may be aware of the dream, you may not be able to control yourself or your actions, where as the lucid dreams I am referring to, you would have deliberate control of your thoughts and emotions just like if you were awake.

While dreaming, if I don't like the dream, I can sometimes changed the narrative . Once, I "woke up" only to find myself in a different dream, and then had to wake up from that. It was weird. I read a couple of books about it, and followed the instructions for lucid dreaming. It was pretty easy. I'm not sure it has produced dreams of any great significance, but it is an interesting demonstration of the many layers of consciousness.

I've been thinking recently about lucid dreaming. I've never attempted it, don't really know much about it. My usual dreams are pretty interesting as they are.

My question is, what's it like to have a lucid dream? What about the dreams we don't remember, are they lucid also? Do lucid dreams interfere with the benefits to the brain of natural dreaming? Can I do anything I want in a lucid dream or is the setting of the dream a normal dream place and I have the ability to do what I want within that dream?

3 times in the last few weeks I've gone lucid in the middle of a dream, gone Woo Hoo! then woken up because I got so excited.. On two of these occasions when I woke up and reached for my dream journal to document it I've had issues with pens and lights not working and people arriving in my room who shouldn't be there and not even realized I was still in a dream and actually having a false awakening till I woke up from them.. They are weird experiences.. and they are definitely worth the conscious effort it takes to bring them on..

Do they interfere with natural dreaming?? I think so... the more realistic or lucid the dreams or experiences the more tired I feel in the morning.. That sucks..

For myself, my lucid dreams are very realistic like. I can think just like how I think in real life. I can choose to try to do things (it thou doesnt mean I'll always succede as the subconsciousness has its own ideas too coming into play/manifestation. eg you may want to try flying but then find you cant fly

eg I went to fly thinking its a dream so I should be able to, instead my dream body when I threw it into the air.. just went slamming down onto concrete which winded me and really hurt, it was agony (I felt like I had really broke my ribs!! I get same kind of dream sensations as I would in real life). I now avoid trying to fly. Im a fairly experienced at LD but I cant fly haha.

If you dont remember a dream, you wouldnt know if it was a lucid dream or not.

I personally dont like too many lucids as then its like my thinking mind isnt getting a proper break (thou I dont really know if that is bad for me or not).

If you dont like the setting you find yourself in a LD in, you can change it.

Another poster said LDs are scarier, for myself I disagree as LDs I can control at least some where as in an ordinary nightmare you dont have any control. Also in a LD you know if it did get too scary and if you were unfortunate and couldnt control due to your fears, at least you know you can then get out of it by waking yourself up.

eg I had a lucid dream in which I found myself in the middle of the ocean, seated on a little row boat. Directly opposite me was a scary demon with glowing red eyes and giving me that feel he truely hated me and wanted me dead. I responded to that as he was very scary and I didnt want him there, so I changed him into a sweet innocent very young boy.

Edited by sea-dove

eg I went to fly thinking its a dream so I should be able to, instead my dream body when I threw it into the air.. just went slamming down onto concrete which winded me and really hurt, it was agony (I felt like I had really broke my ribs!! I get same kind of dream sensations as I would in real life). I now avoid trying to fly. Im a fairly experienced at LD but I cant fly haha.

A good way to fly is instead of throwing yourself into the air, is to kind of step into the air. So gently step up as if almost stepping on an invisible stair. So step into the flying a few steps first.

• Like 1

Most of these questions can be answered by just reading the weird dreams thread.

Do lucid dreams interfere with the benefits to the brain of natural dreaming?

I don't know for sure. But I never feel tired after long lucid dreams(ones that feel like all night). After long lucid dreams I feel more energized because I'm aware of how I spent my night. So I feel happier and thrilled that I spent the night flying around or whatever. So I don't feel drained or tired at all. I feel better from it because I've had fun and it makes me feel happy over the next few days because I remember the experience.

I think lucid dreams are far more restful, mainly because I stop them from doing much other than floating or otherwise moving me around pretty scenery. When I have dreams I don't control, I usually find I'm lost in some strange place and have to wake myself up to stop it. Sometimes dreams take an interesting turn (like mermaids showing up) and I let them run, of course for no reason other than curiosity what might happen.

Ok, I'm wondering if Lucid dreaming was tiring or mentally exhausting when you experienced Lucid dreamers first started off? And got easier as time went on?

• Like 1

I guess my dreaming has always been somewhat lucid, although I wasn't aware of them as such until I heard about people wanting to do it. One of my earliest memories is a bad dream and my telling the dream if it didn't stop this I would wake up, though I don't remember the dream itself. As this is the case I don't think I can offer an answer to your question.

Ok, I'm wondering if Lucid dreaming was tiring or mentally exhausting when you experienced Lucid dreamers first started off? And got easier as time went on?

Not that I can recall. I've always been excited by them so I always tend to wake up feeling happy. So the first times I was more like "wow I had a lucid dream!!", so I was excited and not drained. I think the only thing that was somewhat tiring was spending time doing exercises in trying to lucid dream. So reality checking throughout the day and taking time to meditate to set up dream goals/intentions, I guess that was more tiring. So the training part during the day was more tiring(tiresome)than the dreaming itself.

So when I started I used to meditate etc and take more time but now days I mainly use MILD/DILD technique.

• Like 1

It depends on what kind. You can be lucid but in control of your environment and its characters are lucid and not in control. Lucidity dosnt necessarily mean control.

Yes. Sometimes you are lucid with dreams you don't remember. I know this because there have been things that trigger memories of lucid dreams that I had forgotten.

Yes they do. You are more likely to wake up when lucid. Probably because you are half way there.

Both.... Some dreams you are in control others you are lucid but reacting. I have hurled SUVs through the air with my mind for fun and I have also had deep conversations with dream characters that I obviously was not consciously controlling.

This is the third time I have written a response... It keeps getting deleted. Like most people's dreams ironically.

Oh flying in a dream; yea -- you don't flap your arms or even get up speed. You just kinda glide along without having to walk, being able to get up quite high although housetops are generally enough for me. Unless I'm in some sort of open carriage or small boat, I almost always "fly." Sometimes I'm on a horse or a mule and I have several times made it into an elephant, and a few times a flying elephant.

There is an element of reality here -- for example I have to watch out for low-lying branches and a few times have parked myself astride one to sit and see what is going on below. I also like it when it is rainy and cold and I'm nicely bundled up in blankets and waterproof tenting.

Exchanges with other people or other beings are always friendly. Sometimes its people I know but usually not, and of late I've taken to mythical figures. Nice scenery seems to be the main motif -- seascapes, lakes, clouds, mountain ranges, valleys, farms, city neighborhoods, and so on. I wouldn't say I actually control things -- I just go with the flow, reserving the ability to stop it if something I don't like happens (mainly developing a fear that I can't find my way back -- then I just wake up -- but that happens nowadays very rarely.

Thanks everyone for your great replies! I'll have to still think about all this.

• Like 2

Yes. Sometimes you are lucid with dreams you don't remember. I know this because there have been things that trigger memories of lucid dreams that I had forgotten.

Of course you can have lucid dreams you might forget. Starmountain asked "What about the dreams we don't remember, are they lucid also?" which was pretty much answered by Sea-dove. It's a bit of a rhetorical question really.

Yes they do. You are more likely to wake up when lucid. Probably because you are half way there.

Why do you think they interfere with the benefits to the brain of natural dreaming? Either way you are more likely to wake up during dreaming because its generally at the end of the sleep cycle. And even more likely to wake up when lucid dreaming from being excited(mainly when you're a beginner). So you might wake up a little earlier during the dream cycle if you get excited but if you can control that then I don't understand why it would interfere.

Both.... Some dreams you are in control others you are lucid but reacting. I have hurled SUVs through the air with my mind for fun and I have also had deep conversations with dream characters that I obviously was not consciously controlling.

I'm not sure what you mean here but I've never thought to control a dream characters response. The way you wrote this it sounds as if you think you need to control the actual dream character in order to say you have control of the dream. Which isn't true. You can have full control and also talk to dream characters like normal people.

Some people are traning hard, with long hours or meditations and various exercises to experience prolonged lucid dreaming.

There are webites dedicated to this practice, as you can see here: http://www.dreamviews.com/content/

I've personally experienced two dreams which I became suddenly aware and realized that I was dreaming. I then had control of my mouvements and actions in the dreams but for a very short amount of time, about 30 secondes. It then faded away and I fell back into normal sleep. I don't exercise my mind purposedly for lucid dreaming, so I guess it sort of came naturally in my sleep.

Edited by sam_comm
  • Like 1

Out of interest I had a look around to see what others thought about if lucid dreaming interferes with the benefits to the brain of natural dreaming. I only had a quick look but I found that most seem to think it doesn't. I'm not sure if there has been more detailed scientific studies done though.

In closing, it's not an actual complaint I receive from readers via this website, but always a projected worry from people who have never had a lucid dream before. As such it remains one of the great myths about lucid dreaming.

http://www.world-of-...ams-tiring.html

The Dream Views poll is probably one of the better links around because its from other lucid dreamers and not just coming from a theoretical point of view.

There was a poll conducted on Dream Views which asked “Is Lucid Dreaming affecting your sleep quality?” The results were that over 50% of lucid dreamers notice they are LESS tired the next day after lucid dreaming. So the lucid dreamers responding to the poll could either be getting better quality sleep, or are so excited about their lucid dream that it offsets any grogginess.

http://www.lifeevolv...-sleep-quality/

Done a few of them but the ones that remain in my memory are when I find myself being led or held to observe 'life' somewhere by a person who is very familiar to me (seen him heaps of times and always in a teacher role) that I find myself , with no perceptible process, acting within and knowing that this is a dream.

Other times the awareness itself is manifest but the persona again is like being viewed in an observer like manner, as thugh I am dreaming about myself interacting within dreams as something for me to take note of....

Other dreams have proven to be the most illusive to reacquire where actual physical sensations are experienced, not common for me and boy are they amazing...I mean reality big time...

I have the strong sense, that one moment, I will become lucid in "reality" in the same way I have become lucid in the dreamstate a myriad of times...