Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Pedigree dogs 'as healthy as mongrels'

Still Waters

Only dogs that are produced via bad breeding practices as less healthy than mixed breeds. Most people in the 'dog world' already know this.

You can't tell me brachycephalic dogs and cats don't suffer all their lives with breathing problems. Most bulldogs can't even whelp their pups without caesarean. Purebreds like Shar Pei with loose skin suffer from skin infections and don't even get me started about tea cup Chihuahuas I think it is a poor study and isn't addressing the deformities people have created cause they think a dog with no nose and breathing problems or infected skin as cute. :td:

• Like 4

... I think it is a poor study and isn't addressing the deformities people have created cause they think a dog with no nose and breathing problems or infected skin as cute. :td:

You bring up a very good concern (that I wasn't even thinking about). I absolutely have to agree, some qualities that humans have purposefully bred are not all that positive for the animals. Not sure there's much we can do about it though.

Edited by Lilly
spelling

Kennel Clubs stop showing them at dog shows and change the breed standards would be a start. It is animal cruelty to breed an animal that will suffer it's whole life from planned deformities. I have gotten into some heated agreements with breeders at dog shows over that subject. My dog is a LH Chihuahua and at normal weight she is 12 lbs. That makes her about double breed standard. For her own health I wouldn't want her any smaller. She has a nose and her eyes fit in her head, I could live without the long hair, but she doesn't suffer because of it. I have a friend who has a Pug. The poor thing is a nightmare, it looks like it's eyes are going to pop out of its head. It breaths like it is on its last breath and can't run and play, its teeth are so deformed you have to hand feed with it with a spoon. His owner thinks he is cute. I feel sorry for it, even my dog feels sorry for it. She goes right into therapy dog mode as soon as she sees him. Show people tell me you don't see show dogs that can't breath or eyes that pop out of their head in the show ring. I say how many deformed monsters did you have to create to get the show dog that doesn't look like dog. If they want a frog, then get a frog. A dog has a nose for a reason, breathing.

• Like 2

...Show people tell me you don't see show dogs that can't breath or eyes that pop out of their head in the show ring. I say how many deformed monsters did you have to create to get the show dog that doesn't look like dog. If they want a frog, then get a frog. A dog has a nose for a reason, breathing.

Damn, that's just plain awful. I wonder why they (the show conscious folks) want to do this kind of thing to begin with?