Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Rainbow colored lightning flash of light

jdscuba

Last night (4/12/2014) at around 8:15pm EDT, my wife and I saw this very strange phenomena. We were driving in West Virginia on US 33 towards Elkins, WV coming from Seneca Rocks, WV near the Bowden Cave entrance and the fish hatchery. My wife saw, what she described as a lightning flash of rainbow colors on the peak of one of the mountains. I turned the vehicle around and drove back to the area where we were when she saw the lightning flash. It happened again and we both saw it this time. We pulled off to the side of the road and watched the sky and the mountain tops for almost 30 minutes and never saw it again but the experience was unforgettable. The rainbow colored flash of light seemed almost iridescent to me and much wider than a lightning strike but did not light up the whole sky and did not make any sound. It was similar to a lightning flash only as to how long it lasted. It was very beautiful. Has anyone ever heard of such a thing before? There were huge jets making chemtrails all day long, the sky was mostly clear with sparse but thick clouds. The sun had just gone down so the sky was just barely darkening and I had barely turned on my headlights 5 minutes earlier, the moon was almost full and Mars was coming up behind us when this all occurred.

• Like 1

Perhaps heat lightning or ball lightning? I live very near the famed 'Brown Mountain Lights' and could almost describe these the same way. Heat lightning does not require a cloud cover either (If i am correct)

I would hazzard a guess that it was sheat lightining.

Having lived in the area, I'm gonna say heat lightning.

First day over 80 in sometime for most of the state, you'll have that,

You tend to see these on tropical areas, when I was in venezuela i always thought there was a storm coming but it was only lightning and that was it, no thunder or anything

A sparkle as something was making it do that. Ice crystals, moisture and glass can create little rainbows.

Sounds pretty.

• Like 1

It could have been a rainbow and lightning. Those events have been known to make the lightning appear to have multi colors.

Yeah ive seen similar on the mountains when a gust of wind picks up some dry snow and the sunlight catches it.

This, I think when a thin, fine cloud of ice is blown into the air then at certain angles you can be lucky enough to see a weird rainbow. Just like in the photo on this website:- http://swns.com/news/climber-reached-peak-mount-snowdon-photographs-incredible-circular-rainbow-39554/

*snip*

There were huge jets making chemtrails all day long,

Chemtrails?

:blink:

• Haha 1

• 1 year later...

I saw the same thing you described tonight...Driving home after sun went down.. I thought it might be the Northern Lights??

I saw the same thing you described tonight...Driving home after sun went down.. I thought it might be the Northern Lights??

Unless they have moved West Virginia to Norway, I doubt it.

• Like 1

• 4 years later...

Hello, i’am reading this now, because last night i saw a light that you talked about. I hope you are still active here and that someone will see my message. It happened on my way home, btw i am from Serbia. I was accidentally shooting lightning when a rainbow of light appeared in the sky. So i will attach a photo whit my comment here. Can someone explaine to me what is it?

2A412571-C20D-43A4-99FF-49AE51B1BC9E.jpeg

61.png

• 2 months later...

My children witnessed this as we were driving home in September of 2019 in the interior of Alaska. It was dusk, at late sunset. We were driving along some hills. It had snowed the week before but the snow had melted away.

My older daughter said it was wider than typical lightening that branches out. It was short, not crossing the entire sky. They were flashes of rainbow streaks, as described by my daughter. My younger son also saw it. It lasted for about 5 minutes.

5 hours ago, Elisheva said:

My children witnessed this as we were driving home in September of 2019 in the interior of Alaska. It was dusk, at late sunset. We were driving along some hills. It had snowed the week before but the snow had melted away.

My older daughter said it was wider than typical lightening that branches out. It was short, not crossing the entire sky. They were flashes of rainbow streaks, as described by my daughter. My younger son also saw it. It lasted for about 5 minutes.

That sounds like it could be the northern lights

On 8/27/2019 at 8:20 PM, JelenaVP99 said:

Hello, i’am reading this now, because last night i saw a light that you talked about. I hope you are still active here and that someone will see my message. It happened on my way home, btw i am from Serbia. I was accidentally shooting lightning when a rainbow of light appeared in the sky. So i will attach a photo whit my comment here. Can someone explaine to me what is it?

Not from that single frame - can you post a link to the movie?