Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

dead people and second hand clothes

little_ena

hello

I love clothes from op shops,

Is it creepy to buy second clothes after someone is no longer alive? Can weird grandma vibes be attached to clothes? What can people do so they dont bring creepy vibes with them?

hahaha just thought of simspons episode with Snakes wig talking to Homer.

screen-shot-2013-10-31-at-02-06-41.png

Hell_Toup%C3%A9e_52.JPG

• Like 1

I don't thinkit's creepy because a lot of people do this, many times out of necessity. I think it would fall under the same category as buying things at an estate sale.

However, I am very, VERY careful when buying anything thing used these days because of bedbugs. If I shop at a second hand store like Goodwill, I ask if I can put the clothes I buy into my own sealed plastic bags. Those clothes are then washed in hot water, bleach and/or vinegar as soon as I hit the door. I'm much more careful about buying furniture and I have had several people be offended when I ask to look at it carefully with a flashlight, inside and out, but hey, I don't want a pest problem. And I never buy items I can't completely inspect like, say, a sofa. And I never, ever, buy someone's mattress - I'll sleep on the floor first.

I'm just careful that way. Other people aren't that extreme.

• Like 3

I don't see the problem. People wear watches and wedding rings from deceased relatives and I'm not aware of anyone being haunted by them.

• Like 3

as a model, i love vintage clothes and grandma vipes dont bother me. But bed bugs!!! ew!! :blink:

Edited by little_ena
  • Like 2

i don't believe that items can be 'haunted' or hold any essence of the person they once belonged to.

• Like 3

Agree with most and tender that any 'vibes' associated with old artefacts (he he he) are soon faded out as the source no longer imbues them with that aura, except of course where an object is an emotional favourite but then just bless it anyway and your concerns are nullified.

I quite often pick up fleas from op shops and costume places so dont really go there much, not that I ever did anyway...cheap clothes that are fresh are pretty much ubiquitous in any society these days...

I have absolutely no problem with wearing vintage clothing etc - I have made it my business for the past 25 years to deal in antique and vintage wear ....I don't remember ever feeling vibes, fleas, lice or any other oddness in all those years.....maybe I'm just not sensitive.

Oh ...and whilst I'm not wild on the idea of sharing my bed with bugs, I am more than happy to sleep in hotel beds which I am sure must be teeming with other folks skin cells and 'other' DNA

I'm clearly not that fussy ....or hygiene oriented :D

• Like 4

Nah, my country has a big flea problem, we adore having pets......

I have absolutely no problem with wearing vintage clothing etc - I have made it my business for the past 25 years to deal in antique and vintage wear ....I don't remember ever feeling vibes, fleas, lice or any other oddness in all those years.....maybe I'm just not sensitive.

Oh ...and whilst I'm not wild on the idea of sharing my bed with bugs, I am more than happy to sleep in hotel beds which I am sure must be teeming with other folks skin cells and 'other' DNA

I'm clearly not that fussy ....or hygiene oriented :D

I wont comment on the hygiene. Ha Ha Ha

• Like 1

Would be awesome if a ghost was attached to clothes (except underwear).

• Like 4

hello

I love clothes from op shops,

Is it creepy to buy second clothes after someone is no longer alive? Can weird grandma vibes be attached to clothes? What can people do so they dont bring creepy vibes with them?

hahaha just thought of simspons episode with Snakes wig talking to Homer.

screen-shot-2013-10-31-at-02-06-41.png

Hell_Toup%C3%A9e_52.JPG

Objects only have the power you give them. Not sure what a weird grandmother vibe is but I am reasonably sure if will only be there if you think it is.

Gives a whole new meaning to walking in another man's shoes huh!?

• Like 3

Most of my wardrobe and quite a bit of the decor in my house is second hand. I love thrift shopping :) I must say, I've never shopped with the assumption that the person that originally wore a piece of clothing is now dead. Even the stuff I have that is from the early 1900's and it's real likely the original owner is dead I rarely think about it. Like others have mentioned, I do make sure there isn't anything still living in the stuff I get.

In general, I think it's terribly unlikely for such second hand goods to be haunted. Otherwise pretty much every re-selling store would have all sorts of hauntings coming and going on a regular basis, and there is just simply no lore out there about such a thing. One sometimes hears of haunted stores or occasionally a haunted object, but never tales of stores where the haunting ebbs and flows depending on the merchandise currently in the shop.

• Like 3

I don't think clothing and objects would be haunted either. As for second hand clothes, well, I've been looking for sheets and pillowcases lately. Pretty ones. Alas, the god of sheets and pillowcases said, "Let there be no more pretty sheets and pillowcases, make them all ugly!", and so it was done. Either that or the nicer ones cost over $100 and I'll burn in hell before I pay that much for a &^$% sheet. So I may end up getting second hand ones anyway. Gurble.

Its ok ,nothing wrong with wearing second hand clothes even if the person might have passed.

Nope, don't want an evil spirit next to my privates!

• Like 3

Why not by new clothes. I would never wear clothes a dead person has worn :/

there are several reasons why a person would shop at a vintage clothing store. buying new isn't the point. the point is to buy something totally unique that isn't going to be seen on anyone else. also some buy the vintage clothing for costumes, some collect it, etc

buying new means you may well end up at a social function or in the elevator even wearing the same outfit as someone else.

awkward!

• Like 4

Does this pertain to jewelry as well? I always wear my Granny's diamond, my Mom's diamond and my Grandma's wedding ring. All the people are now deceased and I miss them so much. It's comforting to wear their rings, but I have never experienced anything paranormal, but I wish I could. I wish I had some evidence that they are still with me in some way.

Does this pertain to jewelry as well? I always wear my Granny's diamond, my Mom's diamond and my Grandma's wedding ring. All the people are now deceased and I miss them so much. It's comforting to wear their rings, but I have never experienced anything paranormal, but I wish I could. I wish I had some evidence that they are still with me in some way.

You are perfectly safe wearing things that belonged to deceased people. The only connections between physical things and the dead are the ones people make in their minds.

• Like 4

For me the creep factor has to do with lice and bed bugs. I'm not really worried about ghosts.

It could be worse you know....

Ghost Lice, and Ghost bed bugs!