Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Online backup services.................

Myles

I've been convinced to look into using one of these. They don't cost much, so it seems like a good idea.

Has anyone used one of these like - Carbonite, Backblaze, Crashplan or Livedrive? I'm pretty much looking at the $60/year range.

I've been convinced to look into using one of these. They don't cost much, so it seems like a good idea.

Has anyone used one of these like - Carbonite, Backblaze, Crashplan or Livedrive? I'm pretty much looking at the $60/year range.

Why do you think you need such service? And, why does you want to give yr whole data into the hands of a third party where you dont

know what they are doing with?

Edited by toast

Why do you think you need such service? And, why does you want to give yr whole data into the hands of a third party where you dont

To be fair all of our data already gets collected and sold by our providers and search engines, I think anyways. plus the NSA of course.

So it really would not be all too different.

I would choose what folders to back up.

Certain documents/pics/music/videos.

To be fair all of our data already gets collected and sold by our providers and search engines, I think anyways. plus the NSA of course.

So it really would not be all too different.

Nope, of course it is a big difference if you have your data backed on an external hard disk at home or on a server in India or wherever.

Edited by toast

I would choose what folders to back up.

Certain documents/pics/music/videos.

Think about it first because you give your data away into unknown channels. Catchword DRM

(Digital Rights Management) for example. And I think, but I`m not sure about, that the provider

has some rights to access your PC if you become client.

Alternative: external hard disk 1TB <60USD one time (at the bay for example).

Edited by toast
  • Like 1

Think about it because you give your data away into unknown channels.

Alternative: external hard disk 1TB <60USD one time (at the bay for example).

Yeah, I've debated it a little myself. I guess I don't trust that I consistantly make back ups as often as I should. I think I have some pics on 2-3 different drives now. It'll be quite a task once I get around to sorting it all out.

I also like the idea of being able to access these files from any computer I want.

I'm with everyone else, but not entirely for the same reasons. I get the whole concern about accessing your data, but another huge problem: if they get some kind of virus in their systems, you lose your data that way as well. Even if accessing/ownership of your files wasn't a question (which we all know it is) I don't like to rely on someone else to maintain their servers.

As far as backing up things yourself, isn't there a method to automatically do that through Windows?

Also, what purpose is served by being able to access these files from any computer? So far you've mentioned only photos. Is it useful for work purposes to have this accessibility?

I'm with everyone else, but not entirely for the same reasons. I get the whole concern about accessing your data, but another huge problem: if they get some kind of virus in their systems, you lose your data that way as well. Even if accessing/ownership of your files wasn't a question (which we all know it is) I don't like to rely on someone else to maintain their servers.

As far as backing up things yourself, isn't there a method to automatically do that through Windows?

Also, what purpose is served by being able to access these files from any computer? So far you've mentioned only photos. Is it useful for work purposes to have this accessibility?

Another benefit I see is that I would be safe if my house was destroyed via fire/tornado or such.

The way I see it, it's about the same as using an external hard drive, just with a couple added benefits.

The way I see it, it's about the same as using an external hard drive, just with a couple added benefits.

.... and an unknown number of drawbacks I would say.

Edited by toast

• 7 months later...

Never trust them online backup servers, please. There is nothing better then having 2 mirrored hard disks on important work PC :) Raid 1 that is.

The usefulness of cloud storages is to be able to acess you files on any computer and devices. But if you are concerned about your privacy, than it becomes trickier since many cloud services can easily be snooped in by spy agencies and so on..It's not so much as having something to 'hide' than the right to keep your files private and for yourself..Therefore it might be a good thing to avoid the likes of Google Drive, Onedrive or Amazon cloud..

The safest back up remains an external hardrive. They have become much less expensive these days and you can find one with 1 or 2 TB at a very decent price. (see for instance: http://www.bestbuy.c...3&skuId=9028431) Of course if you don't have a lot of files than a USB flash drive (32, 64 GB) can work just fine..

Edited by sam_comm

I think the OP is desiring "world-wide" access to his data, regardless of computer.

This is afforded by "cloud storage" but has it's own risks.

If it's not confidential info you are just fine. Confidential info needs to be dealt with on a different level.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Currently I'm usind Ahsay software for backup. Ahsay Backup Software is a robust cross-platform backup solution which allows businesses and managed backup service providers to backup virtual machines, databases and servers to local / mapped network drive, locally hosted backup server, or online backup server hosted in datacenter. Thanks

I think the OP is desiring "world-wide" access to his data, regardless of computer.

This is afforded by "cloud storage" but has it's own risks.

If it's not confidential info you are just fine. Confidential info needs to be dealt with on a different level.

Yep. I'll admit that this got put on the back burner once again. I still like the idea of a backup service for certain files that I choose.