Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Into the Abyss. Mission to Kermadec Trench

seeder

Into the ABYSS: Mission to explore the fifth deepest ocean trench on Earth begins

A 40-day expedition to the Kermadec Trench near New Zealand has begun

The trench is the fifth deepest in the world and also one of the coldest

The mission is being funded by the National Science Foundation (NSF)

One of the world's most advanced submersibles will explore the region

The pressure on the ocean floor is 1,100 times that at sea level

But somehow marine life is able to thrive in this hostile environment

The goal is to discover how life can survive at such extreme depths

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2604171/Into-ABYSS-Mission-explore-fifth-deepest-ocean-trench-Earth-begins.html#ixzz2yxDgOWAG

• Like 5

Just hope they dont find the missing plane down there! But anything they find will be exciting I guess, if only new or strange forms of life

• Like 3

Could give a glimpse at what could be lurking under Europa's ice-crust. I assume. But I don't know much bout it....

• Like 1

I am sure there will be amazing discoveries. Hands-on science kicks ass.

Edited by ancient astronaut
  • Like 1

Just hope they dont find the missing plane down there! But anything they find will be exciting I guess, if only new or strange forms of life

That would be scary if it(777) was down there.
  • Like 1

Could give a glimpse at what could be lurking under Europa's ice-crust. I assume. But I don't know much bout it....

You must have seen Europa Report. Great movie, the quality the producers got for such a low budget was astounding!!! If you haven't seen it it's (E.R.) on Netflix HIGHLY RECOMMENDED. Edited by ancient astronaut
  • Like 1

Europa Report just stuck with basic Science more than the Fictional aspects ~ I agree ... worthy mention of a movie ~

I aggree Europa Report was well done for a lower budget movie. Other than that it was pretty standard plot otherwise.

The Abyss ? wow !

I hope they find a spaceship with technology that we can use to make better cheeseburgers with.

I dunno, they theorize that if there are oceans under Europa's crust, that they will actually be considerably warm due to volcanic activity. Otherwise it would just be completely ice. It will be interesting to see if things can live in such a cold environment.

The potential for new species discoveries have always fascinated me.

• Like 1

I see a new Alien movie in the making.

Abyss 2 , New Zealand style (with Hobbits saving the World)
  • Like 2

Lets hope they find some cool stuff down there

There is a CT claiming that they will find cold water down there.

• Like 3

Abyss 2 , New Zealand style (with Hobbits saving the World)

LMAO....I can already see it now!

I would love it if they found a paved road down there, with a boat ramp at the end of it.

While they're there, can they tell the resident mole people to turn of the earthquake machine.

Edited by MordorOrc

Lets hope they find some cool stuff down there

Don't you know that the organization of scientists will hold back all the information. They all belong to the group which hides the truth from us. :whistle:

Good to see deep sea trench exploration hasn't been given up on. I see that Virgin and Triton have given up on the Mariana Trench and others after Cameroon beat them to it.

Hope this goes ahead.

• Like 1

Good to see deep sea trench exploration hasn't been given up on. I see that Virgin and Triton have given up on the Mariana Trench and others after Cameroon beat them to it.

Hope this goes ahead.

It is underway, I believe, at this time!

• 3 weeks later...

I guess it was a bit too deep...

Nereus robot's deep sea adventure ends after it is crushed by water pressure while exploring a 6-mile-deep trench

The Nereus imploded under the vast pressure of the water above it in the Kermadec Trench to the north east of New Zealand, experts said

Scientists aboard the Thomas G. Thompson research ship explained they lost contact with their robot seven hours into a nine hour drive on Saturday

It was designed by the Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution, Massachusetts to undertake high-risk research in the deep ocean

The vehicle has previously returned species that have never been seen before and samples of the seafloor

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2626979/Nereus-robots-deep-sea-adventure-ends-crushed-water-pressure-exploring-6-mile-trench.html#ixzz31bqJXwbm

Hopefully they got the bulk of their science done before it went POP!!

• Like 1