Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

New twin experiment to test effects of space

UM-Bot

NASA is set to conduct an unprecedented new study in to the way space can affect the human body.

It has long been established that spending time in space can cause everything from muscle degradation to psychological problems, but obtaining accurate readings on these effects has proven something of a challenge.

Read More: http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/news/265166/new-twin-experiment-to-test-effects-of-space

So after all that hard work and study, you get to flip a coin to see who goes into space and who stays home because your twin brother wanted to be an astronaut too.

So after all that hard work and study, you get to flip a coin to see who goes into space and who stays home because your twin brother wanted to be an astronaut too.

Not in this case.

Scott Kelly's twin, Mark Kelly, WAS also an astronaut, but has now retired. He has been into space. He retired to help support his wife, former Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords, who was badly injured in an assignation attempt.

Hm. That kind of compromises him a little as a "control" in this experiment if he's been to space himself at some point doesn't it?

• Like 1

This will be interesting, more on the psychological effects. For this to work, I'd like both brothers would need to do the same routine while "on duty" so job differences can be cancelled out. It's the off time that would tell the tale, IMHO.

• Like 1

Hm. That kind of compromises him a little as a "control" in this experiment if he's been to space himself at some point doesn't it?

Not at all.

The experiment is to see what changes occur to a human body during a year long flight. Since both twins are genetically the same, have trained as astronauts and each has flown in space before it makes Mark Kelly the perfect control.

Edited by Waspie_Dwarf
typo

It would be more interesting to me if only one of them ever went up but you take what you can.

The whole point of a control is that it should be as close to the experimental subject as possible.

Since the experimental subject, Scott Kelly has prior spaceflight experience it would not be possible to exclude the effects of the previous flights from the effects of the one year flight unless the control subject, Mark Kelly also had prior spaceflight experience.

The fact that they are similar both genetically and in terms of spaceflight experience is what makes this experiment possible in the first place.

Edited by Waspie_Dwarf

This will be interesting, more on the psychological effects. For this to work, I'd like both brothers would need to do the same routine while "on duty" so job differences can be cancelled out. It's the off time that would tell the tale, IMHO.

Maybe the psychological effects of marriage would be just as damning for the earth twin.

who was badly injured in an assignation attempt.

I had to look her up after you wrote that. ;)

I think the general premise of the experiment is outstanding.