Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

I Just don't care.Woman after hitting cyclist

Arkitecht

I actually understand what Kazahel is saying. I'm a bit proponent of looking at things from every point of view and am very aware that the media spins things for emotional response.

Since we only have one instance to judge her by, calling her a sociopath may be steep. She was obviously raised totally wrong and does not have any empathy though. She displayed that quite clearly.

By 21, people should understand that it's wrong to hurt other people. You learn that in kindergarten. Her texting while driving was a stupid decision made by a legal adult. Tons of people do it and it doesn't make them monsters. You could (though I won't) categorize texting while driving as a mistake.

But there is no way to justify her "I don't care" and her incredibly selfish whining about her car and not having a license, unless she is actually an untreated mentally ill person, which does not at all seem the case.

An adult who is so selfish and so incredibly childish to post things like that in public and not know it will affect her whole life needs some serious help.

I doubt many people actually advocate the death penalty here, but a fine and loss of license does not do anything at all. She just sinks further into the "oh woe is me" entitled victim mentality. 300+ hours volunteer service in a hospital or rehabilitation center makes much more sense and could actually help make her into a productive member of society.

• Like 5

I doubt many people actually advocate the death penalty here, but a fine and loss of license does not do anything at all.

That's the problem. She didn't care and has gotten away with it without suffering a fitting punishment. What will she push the envelope on next?

Edited by Sweetpumper

What is your point? The Age of Majority in Australia is 18.

My point was pretty much in the rest of that sentence you started to quote.

"She's only 21, so her empathy will most likely grow in time(which means her position will change naturally on its own)."

The age of majority is a legally fixed age, concept, or statutory principle, which may differ depending on the jurisdiction, and may not necessarily correspond to actual mental or physical maturity of an individual.

http://en.wikipedia....Age_of_majority

Which I kinda pointed out soon after that post.

And I don't think everybody develops mentally/emotionally at the same rate. So as you guys think she should be more developed at her age, I could think you should be. The story is created to incite hate, so you then get your typical replies and this is seen as being fully developed. ?

@Kazahel I agree that all people do not develop mentally emotionally at the same level but (and its a big but) at 21 she is an adult and therefore responsible for her actions and her words.

Do I want to see a lynch mob? Absolutely not. I am not however prepared to excuse her words on the basis that she is only 21. She is vacuous and egotistical and extremely lacking any good judgement.

I personally agree with Purplos that she would have been better served to get 300+ hours of community service

• Like 6

"She's only 21, so her empathy will most likely grow in time(which means her position will change naturally on its own)."

By the age of two or three children start showing signs of empathy. At the ages of eight to ten they should have a full understanding of their actions impact on others. This is basic psychology 101.

• Like 3

You can call me callous and uncaring, but I have a hard time feeling any empathy towards someone who apparently feels no empathy.

• Like 3

I think that at any age, anyone can do something or say something in the heat of the moment that they regret later. Like the woman in the following youtube.

http://youtu.be/dp2meznCawU

This youtube tells you what happened to the pick-up truck driver, he wasn't injured btw. He also isn't giving any interviews either, so he may be somewhat slower to regret his actions publicly.

http://youtu.be/rLrzO54MVRA

In regards to the 'I don't care' woman, let's hope she's learned something from this experience and it turns her into better person.

• Like 2

I think that at any age, anyone can do something or say something in the heat of the moment that they regret later...

[

But her statements were taken days after the accident.

• Like 2

But her statements were taken days after the accident.

Yes... which would make it 'later' ;)

Though, maybe she regretted it later due to all the negative comments she received on her youtube video.

Regarding the 'I don't care woman', maybe she too will regret her actions/sayings later when any potential employer googles her. If we don't hear publicly of the 'I don't care' woman making an apology or trying to right her wrong, then we'll never know, so we can only hope that she does eventually regret her actions and tries to be a better person in the future.

• Like 1

Maybe she just watched to much South Park..it warped her fragile mind.

I've seen things like this many many times ~ more than 'I even care' to recollect ~ first thing they do is claim innocence and try to pin the blame on the other party ~

and when that does not succeed ~ they 'don't care' ~ because they still insist they're the one hard done by ~ and by not caring it seems to absolve themselves of any wrong doing ~

read this again ~ WRONG DOING ~ they will not only not accept anything wrong on their own part ~ they do not even accept that they are supposed to be put in any position of being in the wrong ~ which is exactly what this particular '21 year old' is doing ~ she is too good in her own eyes to be made to suffer any consequences of her own actions ~

mummy and daddy will set things right ~ little darling princess can do no wrong ~ because she is put on earth to be loved no matter what ~

~

• Like 3

By the age of two or three children start showing signs of empathy. At the ages of eight to ten they should have a full understanding of their actions impact on others. This is basic psychology 101.

You've never played CoD (call of duty) online have you. Have you played any online games at all and seen how understanding they are of their actions. I've spent the last week trading a few items on steam(TF2)and dodging phishing bots which these caring young adults have setup to try steal my account. So I don't tend to think these young adults(so over 8-10)seem to have much understanding of how their actions impact others. Or they do and just don't care, if you asked them they would probably say something like "Trololololol u just got pwned bro!!! u mad? u mad!?"

So maybe with more screen time now days and the digital world people are losing empathy or not learning it as quickly as before. I think they are still studying it. These are just quick links I've grabbed.

http://startempathy....doing-your-kids

http://www.scilogs.c...ia-and-empathy/

http://micheleborba....ldrens-empathy/

So after being online for many years I would never think that an 8-10yr would have a full understanding of their actions and how they impact on others. I wouldn't even say a 21yr would going by my experiences online.

But this is in no way justification for running someone over on their bicycle.

Thank you Kazahel for the links for those of us who need to educate ourselves with people of their mindset, but you're providing examples of "don't blame her, it's societies fault!"

No, she's an adult. It's her fault.

• Like 5

But this is in no way justification for running someone over on their bicycle.

Her hitting the cyclist was an accident.

No, she's an adult. It's her fault.

A young adult(a few years out of being a teenager). If she said the things she said and the media didn't leave out anything positive or empathetic, then her apparent lack of empathy during this one event could be because she hasn't finished maturing. And if this is from social media/screen time then in a way it is societies fault too.

In the end though, she made a mistake and poorly chose her words. She ends up with who knows how many people online(and real life)being nasty towards her because of her apparent lack of empathy and caring for another human being...

To me it's like the blind leading the blind.

Edited by Kazahel

There is an inherited (it seems to run in families) condition called sociopathy, where there is little or no empathy and the person just doesn't understand it. These are the kids who set fire to cats and so on. As adults a few become serial murderers if a sadistic strain is also present, otherwise they tend to become con artists, preying mainly on the elderly.

I'm not saying we have a case of this here; I am merely pointing out that people without a conscience are often just simply born that way, like a lot of other conditions that society has to deal with (child molesting, uncontrollable tempers, and so on).

I am not one of those who says we should be sympathetic with such people: we should throw the book at them -- but we have to realize that people are what they are.

A young adult(a few years out of being a teenager). If she said the things she said and the media didn't leave out anything positive or empathetic, then her apparent lack of empathy during this one event could be because she hasn't finished maturing. And if this is from social media/screen time then in a way it is societies fault too.

In the end though, she made a mistake and poorly chose her words. She ends up with who knows how many people online(and real life)being nasty towards her because of her apparent lack of empathy and caring for another human being...

Oh bless, poor little love, people being nasty t'wards her pwetty l'il face. And it'll cost a fortune to touch up the paint on her car (which Daddy gave her, of course).

she was texting like 44 times before, so its her fault, 44 times is extremely poor for a driver

• Like 1

There's no defending this young person, her actions and comments speak volumes. She only cares about one person and it is her... Every one else needs to get out of her way and not scratch her precious and expensive ride....

• Like 2

I hardly call this an "accident" when she clearly was distracted by her precious texting. It is HER FAULT!! Period. As for "maturity" I expect far more responsibility out of a sixteen year old let alone twenty-one year old adult. Sometimes age is not an excuse for recklessness. In fact..I HAVE met many sixteen year olds that are far more mature about road safety than this woman.

I agree that no one deserves viciousness however she does deserve to be berated for her recklessness as does anyone who insists on texting while driving. It's not like she was slowly backing up and accidentally bumped someone...she insisted that texting while driving is not harmful and look what happened.

In the end though, she made a mistake...

A mistake that could cost someone the use of their legs and maybe arms too.

Do you really think the victim is going to smile sweetly and say "That's ok, hun. I may be in a wheelchair for the rest of my life because you refused to pay attention while driving, which is a full time job, but it was an accident so don't worry about a thing."?

If you are old enough to get behind the wheel of a 1000 pound hunk of motorized metal and operate it then you are old enough to understand the consequences of what happens when you repeatedly take your eyes off the road just so you can text stupid messages.

An accident is if you run over the neighbors rosebushes or slide on the ice because of frozen rain but when you deliberately use a cell phone to text while driving then hurt someone bad enough that they have to be taken to the hospital then that is not an "accident" but reckless endangerment.

I understand what you are trying to say..I just don't agree

• Like 3

This is clearly a case of affluenza.

Gotta love that old chestnut.

On another note on maturity. If they can't be mature enough to sit behind a wheel and not put lives at risk then why are they behind the wheel at all? Driving a car is a big responsibility. If you can't take responsibility for the things you cause while behind that wheel, it's your fault for being behind there in the first place.

Sorry Kazael but that's just fact. I just turned 22 a bit over a week ago and if I did this due to negligence I'd expect to take responsibility and serve whatever time I need. I take responsibility for everything I do in the vehicle as soon as I put the keys in and start the car up.

• Like 1

I'm only 21 and I would feel remorse and genuine care about hitting someone. I would freak the hell out and go help-in places I've been taught to apply medical service..(After I got someone to dial 911).

21 years is a long time to learn.. There is no excuse for this piece of waste.

• Like 2

What's next for this young lady hit a crowd of people and say oh drat I have to fix my car again. That blood will probably stain my paint.

• Like 1

I find these kinds of threads interesting in how others then treat her. So this 21yr has a few quotes taken out of who knows what else she said and then people speak of culling(jokingly but still). I see this type of reporting as designed to create a villain to be punished by almost bullying(mobbing)and so I end up finding it almost ironic when people go on to talk about her lack of empathy.

Interestingly enough, bullying, as you put it (or mobbing) would result in a strong force called "peer pressure" which is quite effective at making even the most stubborn people change their ways... Perhaps if we had more of this "bullying" and vilifying towards people who say or do stupid things, there'd be far less stupid things said and done...

• Like 1