Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

I Just don't care.Woman after hitting cyclist

Arkitecht

I'm guessing you are over the age of 14 and maybe even 21. So then apparently you wont change either and are the type of person who would disown their own daughter over an error. So she could've been a wonderful person but said these few quotes and acted poorly in a certain situation and now you would disown her.

And you would think she is the one with the problems? Fascinating.

You can use that kind of an argument to justify any behaviour, no matter how grave.

Do you really think the victim is going to smile sweetly and say "That's ok, hun. I may be in a wheelchair for the rest of my life because you refused to pay attention while driving, which is a full time job, but it was an accident so don't worry about a thing."?

People have accidents behind the wheel when distracted by phones or kids or whatever else. It happens. The only thing that made this a story is what she said afterwards. That seems to be what's annoying people. And I think its best to remember that people will react in different ways and not everyone is the same(some say dumb things in times of stress). I think its weird though for strangers to act annoyed that she showed little compassion but then treat her with very little themselves.

I'm only 21 and I would feel remorse and genuine care about hitting someone. I would freak the hell out and go help-in places I've been taught to apply medical service..(After I got someone to dial 911).

21 years is a long time to learn.. There is no excuse for this piece of waste.

Perfect example. You're 21 and would apparently feel remorse and genuine care about hitting someone. But you wont feel anything for someone that you hardly know(you know her from purely the media and about two quotes from her). So you are supposedly a decent person who is saying things which is simply not decent. I would never call anyone a "piece of waste" and that's the difference to most of you and me. I might think it from anger sometimes but I'd never(well very rarely)publically express it in written form. So to me, when you really think about it, you're no better than she is. I could almost think it's worse because you don't have any connection to the victim, so you're not even acting this way because they hurt a friend of yours.

Now I wouldn't think of you as a bad person deep down because what you have said here makes my skin crawl. I understand its just something that has been said and is a reaction to something else. And I think the girl in this story did the same thing. She said something heartless and dumb which doesn't necessarily reflect her true personality. Because if heartless words at certain times do show true personality, then most people in this thread are heartless.

Interestingly enough, bullying, as you put it (or mobbing) would result in a strong force called "peer pressure" which is quite effective at making even the most stubborn people change their ways... Perhaps if we had more of this "bullying" and vilifying towards people who say or do stupid things, there'd be far less stupid things said and done...

Then who bullies who. I think half the things said in this thread are stupid(cold). One said he'd disown his daughter if this was her. So from one mistake disowned(I don't actually believe they would though). Now to me saying that is extremely cold and I think most parents would agree(I don't expect any to admit it in here though). So if it went down this road where is the line drawn.

In the end in regards to this thread I'm reminded by this old quote.

"You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother's eye."

Edited by Kazahel

People have accidents behind the wheel when distracted by phones or kids or whatever else. It happens. The only thing that made this a story is what she said afterwards...

Precisely. She reacted like a self obsessed bint.

Edited by Likely Guy

Wow..Kazahel...You are so different in the way you see this that i have come to the conclusion that you really do not,and will not,"Get it".No offense, but you are the kind of person that makes the legal system a nightmare. People like you cause mistrials. People like you cause Hung Juries. People like you make it possible for a criminal to walk free.People like you.

• Like 3

Wow..Kazahel...You are so different in the way you see this that i have come to the conclusion that you really do not,and will not,"Get it".No offense, but you are the kind of person that makes the legal system a nightmare. People like you cause mistrials. People like you cause Hung Juries. People like you make it possible for a criminal to walk free.People like you.

Punishment from the law doesn't really come into what I've been saying. The law can punish someone without having to be nasty towards them in the manner in which others have been towards her.

But if I screwed up at UM, I'd like to have Kazahel as my defence attourney. :)

Just the fact that this woman had the time to practically brag about it and then blubber about her car damage while waiting for the ambulance say quite a lot about her attitude and she does deserve flak over that. I do not feel sorry for her really.

As I said before, she has been observed texting while driving on numerous occasions yet she is still driving. Why hasn't her license been revoked? Why has she not been compelled to attend driving classes?

Did she just leave the guy laying where he was? Did she let someone else assume the responsibility of staying with him until real help arrived? Well, at least she called 911 so at least I can give her some modicum of credit for that.

If I did something careless like what she did then had the audacity to whine about car damage (which can be fixed)

then puked out ignorant claims such as texting while driving isn't dangerous at all then I deserve to be ridiculed and berated.

As a side note, we don't need more laws restricting or banning cell phone use; we need more stringent consequences for repeat offenders.

• Like 1

Kazahael. The law is intended to stop people from doing something. If she isn't showing any remorse or even acknowledgement for what she is doing. Then how else do you get something through her mind? Because right now what's stopping her from jumping back on the road and doing it again due to her negligent driving? What's stopping her five years from now caring about hitting someone on the road?

If copping a bit of flack for what she's done might get something through to her. Then I don't see anything wrong with the response.

Anyhow, your word is just speculation as is anyone else's. You can't say she said it in the heat of the moment anymore than someone can claim she's a sociopath. Although I'm leaning towards the latter (you hit someone with your car because of your negligence, you're damn selfish if you try to put value above your material objects above ones life you could've killed). But of course, who knows how she said it.

"Oh I almost killed someone, how horrible, are you ok? I feel horrible, oh my car, theyve damaged it and I'm going to have to repair it! Oh I'm so irresponsible, I should have learnt not to text and drive. Actually, I just don't care I hit someone. I'm a victim."

Doesn't sound quite right does it?

I'm from Australia. I know what kind of personality this young woman is a breed from. I see these kinds in this society often. Mostly from a wealthy family. When faced with something they can't assume responsibility for it and generally wallow in the money of their parents. They are often self entitled and always believe the world owes them something. Due to their amounts of wealth they generally involve themselves in activities which generally focus around self image. Which leaves them feeling useless but usually continue the self destructive lifestyle due to lack of willpower and motivation resulting in such an easy lifestyle.

You can argue what ifs and such. But when it grinds down to hard reality. Sometimes it's just that blatant.

Kazahael. The law is intended to stop people from doing something. If she isn't showing any remorse or even acknowledgement for what she is doing. Then how else do you get something through her mind? Because right now what's stopping her from jumping back on the road and doing it again due to her negligent driving? What's stopping her five years from now caring about hitting someone on the road?

She seems to acknowledge that she lost her licence, so right now that's stopping her from going back on the road. And after some time of having actually lost her licence and maturing she might start to think a little more about whats happened. I think forcing it by this type of media coverage is wrong.

If copping a bit of flack for what she's done might get something through to her. Then I don't see anything wrong with the response.

I don't think being thrust on stage for a world wide audience for her errors is copping 'a bit of flak'. I think its overkill.

Anyhow, your word is just speculation as is anyone else's. You can't say she said it in the heat of the moment anymore than someone can claim she's a sociopath

Anything said would've been said during a stressful time. And people will react differently in times of stress. At the end of the day though I'm not placing her into a category of "piece of waste", so I can live with that.

I'm from Australia. I know what kind of personality this young woman is a breed from. I see these kinds in this society often. Mostly from a wealthy family. When faced with something they can't assume responsibility for it and generally wallow in the money of their parents. They are often self entitled and always believe the world owes them something. Due to their amounts of wealth they generally involve themselves in activities which generally focus around self image. Which leaves them feeling useless but usually continue the self destructive lifestyle due to lack of willpower and motivation resulting in such an easy lifestyle.

You could be a psychic with reading people so well after just a few quotes, a picture and the fact she owns a car. I'm not sure why being from Australia makes any difference though because you don't know her from a bar of soap. So fair shake of the sauce bottle mate.

I watched this movie tonight and this scene actually reminded me of this thread.

So,Kazahel...you say that movie clip from the movie "Scarface" reminded you of this thread...Because? A murderous cocaine dealer tells a bunch of people they are hypocrites because they look down on him...(lets face it,he is a low life) yet this is your example of how we are treating this cold i don't care beatch?Lmfao!!You use no common sense...I mean,what are you thinking?!Anyone that gets a chance check out the clip he provided. Yeah,really great example! Man you are so out to lunch!

• Like 1

People have accidents behind the wheel when distracted by phones or kids or whatever else. It happens.

Preventable accidents don't happen, they are caused by neglect.

People rob banks. It happens. Women get raped *shrug* it happens.

See I can play that game too.

• Like 1

Punishment from the law doesn't really come into what I've been saying. The law can punish someone without having to be nasty towards them in the manner in which others have been towards her.

Its being nasty and nice (negative and positive pressure) by society that shapes society. If there were no societal pressures, there would be no society. Certain things are deemed unacceptable by society, such as the "I don't care attitude" displayed by this woman. The negative pressure applied by society as a result of this helps prevent that "i don't care attitude" from spreading and becoming more common.

You deem the woman's attitude to not be deserving of the severity of the negative pressure it received... It seems society differs from you. Infact, this very discussion and vast opposition to your point of view will also shape society in some small form --- those more impressionable children/teens/young adults who would otherwise have been undecided on it will be pressure to adopt the intolerance of the masses to your point of view. This is how societies are shaped, and in this case, I do believe that its the right thing to do to retaliate to this woman's statement so... strongly. It'll help prevent others from acting similarly.

• Like 1

She seems to acknowledge that she lost her licence, so right now that's stopping her from going back on the road. And after some time of having actually lost her licence and maturing she might start to think a little more about whats happened. I think forcing it by this type of media coverage is wrong.

I don't think being thrust on stage for a world wide audience for her errors is copping 'a bit of flak'. I think its overkill.

Anything said would've been said during a stressful time. And people will react differently in times of stress. At the end of the day though I'm not placing her into a category of "piece of waste", so I can live with that.

You could be a psychic with reading people so well after just a few quotes, a picture and the fact she owns a car. I'm not sure why being from Australia makes any difference though because you don't know her from a bar of soap. So fair shake of the sauce bottle mate.

Well it was clear she was following the law before... Right? So what's stopping her from totally ignoring the fact she lost her license?

Again. That's just speculation. What I'm seeing and reading appears to be a disregard for anyone else but herself.

Because I'm part of this society and can observe the general upbringing of a vast array of people and the results from such. Oh, and in Australia you are recognised as an adult at 18. She was 21... 3 years of adulthood and you still look at her as if she is a child. When do you actually 'grow up' in your eyes?

Sometimes you've gotta learn a lesson. The fact that she broke the law over texting and driving and still contends the fact it doesn't have any danger as well as jump on Facebook and claim the same seems to blow what you're saying out of the water. Yeh people can say things like that if they're stressed, but to investigating officers and all over Facebook? Well, you've got a bit of explaining to do there.

This backlash of harsh reality might do her more good than you think.

i'm still surprised at how selfish and shallow people can be. Has the number of them among us vastly increased in my lifetime.. or does it just seem that way?

i guess you can't learn to respect and care about others from parents who don't? Is society as a whole becoming more and more 'desensitized' ?

or does that just seem that way too? I swear!.. people are 'Differnt' nowdays. (godisoundoldlol)

• Like 1

No, I think society has always been this way, at least I remember stuff like this when I was a child but the difference back then was most people followed a structured religious base that was inherently incorporated in to society and so these became moderators of acceptable behaviour.

But the spoilt brat syndrome was certainly evidenced back then, its just now a days, there's a whole heap more folk than there ever has been and more avenues to report social gossip than ever and so we get to hear about these things and become shocked by there manifestations...without the net its unlikely we would have ever heard about the girl in the first place...just my musings....

• Like 2

Preventable accidents don't happen, they are caused by neglect.

People rob banks. It happens. Women get raped *shrug* it happens.

See I can play that game too.

That's not the same because people who rob banks have intent. She didn't intend to go out and hit the cyclist.

Its being nasty and nice (negative and positive pressure) by society that shapes society. If there were no societal pressures, there would be no society. Certain things are deemed unacceptable by society, such as the "I don't care attitude" displayed by this woman. The negative pressure applied by society as a result of this helps prevent that "i don't care attitude" from spreading and becoming more common.

Well it obviously didn't help from any previous examples she may of seen during her life so far. I also find it odd that in order to teach her compassion you basically want society to attack her. Maybe a more positive style pressure might teach her to be more positive. So lead by example. But people are afraid to do that "you don't have the guts to be what you want to be".

You deem the woman's attitude to not be deserving of the severity of the negative pressure it received... It seems society differs from you. Infact, this very discussion and vast opposition to your point of view will also shape society in some small form --- those more impressionable children/teens/young adults who would otherwise have been undecided on it will be pressure to adopt the intolerance of the masses to your point of view. This is how societies are shaped, and in this case, I do believe that its the right thing to do to retaliate to this woman's statement so... strongly. It'll help prevent others from acting similarly.

I think the main thing it does is create a 'bad guy' for everyone and baddies sell. People love the bad guy(love to hate). So society is shaped by their love to hate. We see it all the time in t.v shows like Law and Order for example and to you this might be natural but to me I find it odd. I don't believe you cant teach compassion for others by pointing a finger at a bad guy and trying to use them as an example.

Because I'm part of this society and can observe the general upbringing of a vast array of people and the results from such. Oh, and in Australia you are recognised as an adult at 18. She was 21... 3 years of adulthood and you still look at her as if she is a child. When do you actually 'grow up' in your eyes?

I already went over this. But here's a news story I found this morning which is somewhat suited as an answer. http://news.ninemsn....-son-on-live-tv

"Why'd you run?" Sheriff Hodge asks the younger Phillips.

"He's a youngen'," his father said, excusing his son.

(take note of his age)

Btw I'm in Perth. I thought my Kevin Rudd quote would give the impression I'm Australian.

Maybe a more positive style pressure might teach her to be more positive.

I'm a firm believer that the most effective "teaching style" is a combination of both positive and negative reinforcement. Positive when they do good, negative when they do bad. Avoiding negative reinforcement has hurt society, not helped it.

So lead by example. But people are afraid to do that "you don't have the guts to be what you want to be".

Indeed, lead by example --- and the example that is being set is that if you ruin someones life, you don't say "I don't care".

Edited by Stellar
  • Like 2

Avoiding negative reinforcement has hurt society, not helped it.

You would have to give examples of what society has avoided for me to really comment much on this.

Indeed, lead by example --- and the example that is being set is that if you ruin someones life, you don't say "I don't care".

She has had her life damaged now too(future employment etc)and most people are saying "I don't care". So if the example being set is don't ruin someones life and say "I don't care", then the media story sure wasn't leading by example.

Kazahel,a normal person would be concerned about the person they injured.You on the other hand,are more concerned with the textinx while driving jerk...Why do you empathize with the jerk so much?Did you do something like this?Are you related to this person?Or do you happen to be dating her?What gives?I mean you have had days to go over this...and you keep coming back to defend her...What is your motive for doing this?I would Also like to add the fact that he suffered Spinal injuries. That is beyond painful. Not to mention the permanent damage that cannot be undone.Yet you yourself have not brought up what he has to go through. Why is that?

• Like 1

Kazahel,a normal person would be concerned about the person they injured.You on the other hand,are more concerned with the textinx while driving jerk...Why do you empathize with the jerk so much? Did you do something like this?Are you related to this person?Or do you happen to be dating her?What gives?I mean you have had days to go over this...and you keep coming back to defend her...What is your motive for doing this?I would Also like to add the fact that he suffered Spinal injuries. That is beyond painful. Not to mention the permanent damage that cannot be undone.Yet you yourself have not brought up what he has to go through. Why is that?

I guess I would rather people look a little deeper than headlines and not react as emotionally as they tend to. She isn't here to defend herself so I find it hard to read attacks on someone as if people fully know the story and what she is about. This is only a glimpse into someone's life and when people basically discard the person over it I think that's harsh and teaches others its ok to be as harsh with people in life.

So I suppose my motive would be to try teach compassion and that there is usually more to the story than meets the eye. I haven't brought up what he has to go through because to me it's not what the story is about so much. Its mainly about 'look at this horrible girl'. So I think let the law deal with her, I don't think the public/media needs to.

Here is a thread from many years ago which would show how I just generally think. So what I type is not new. I just tend to avoid the True Crimes section now but this one was posted in Other World News. So here I am..

http://www.unexplain...opic=70856&st=0

Edited by Kazahel

...Well it obviously didn't help from any previous examples she may of seen during her life so far. I also find it odd that in order to teach her compassion you basically want society to attack her. Maybe a more positive style pressure might teach her to be more positive. So lead by example...

What might that 'positive style pressure' be, and how would you implement it in this case?

Edited by Likely Guy

What might that 'positive style pressure' be, and how would you implement it in this case?

Well in the context in which I was saying, if she had seen and experienced people in society treating others with more compassion(so treating 'baddies' with compassion)then she might of naturally been more compassionate. In her mind at one point the cyclist seemed to be the baddie almost by damaging her car. So she didn't care for the 'baddie'. And if people also cared for the baddie, then she might as well.

So basically society not limiting who you care for, so hopefully others wont either. Along the lines of giving what you want to receive.

• Like 1

Well in the context in which I was saying, if she had seen and experienced people in society treating others with more compassion(so treating 'baddies' with compassion)then she might of naturally been more compassionate. In her mind at one point the cyclist seemed to be the baddie almost by damaging her car. So she didn't care for the 'baddie'. And if people also cared for the baddie, then she might as well.

So basically society not limiting who you care for, so hopefully others wont either. Along the lines of giving what you want to receive.

The cyclist was perceived as a baddie to her because she is a self centred brat? The lack of empathy just makes it so blatantly evident... Or are you simply limiting her mental capacity to "monkey see, monkey do"?

• Like 1

...This makes no sense..im kinda thinking your not okay in your thinking.How the hell can a innocent bike rider she hit while she is texting...how can he be the baddie?He got run over by the baddie!!He is not at fault.OMG!!You are without a doubt the thickest person i have encountered in a long time!He's the bad guy?!?REALLY?