Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Black vapor from a dying man

J. K.

A friend of mine died last night in hospice. I was visiting him about six hours beforehand. He was already comatose and non-responsive. His breathing was labored.

Here's the weird part. Three times, I observed a black vapor emerge from his mouth and sort of swirl in front of his throat.

Nothing else strange happened. I don't know what to think of this; I would probably be skeptical of it myself if I were told about it.

• Like 1

Sorry to hear of your loss.

Did you ask the doctors? They would probably/maybe have an explanation.

• Like 1

That's sort of spooky some people say the dark mist is basically ectoplasm it acts as a sort of "glue" in bonding the physical body with the spirit body, and the more materialistic a person the denser the ectoplasm and the more difficulty the person has in “giving up the ghost. But then that enters into the realm of ghosts and such

~ condolences ~

• Like 1

If I experienced such a thing I'd be troubled by it. There is probably a physical explanation for it. But the symbolism of the black vapor is kind of chilling. May I ask if your friend (as far as you know) knew the Lord? Did he believe he knew what lay ahead after his breath left him here? If he did then I have no doubt the thing you saw was benign and could be explained by a doc or nurse.

Stress filled moments can play tricks on the mind.

Sorry for your loss.

J.K. what did you think at the moment it happened?

So sorry for your loss.

I wonder if the dark vapour had something to do with their lungs as their body started to shut down.

Maybe a doctor could give you an answer from a medical point of view.

Thank you for your kind wishes.

I haven't asked a medical professional yet, so I'm not ruling out a biological cause.

@and then: yes, he was a believer

@ouija ouija: I didn't know what to think when I saw it the first time. My later inclination was to ascribe a spiritual significance to the incidents; that was the best context I had, although that's up for debate as well. The one other friend I've told had an aunt who was a brujeria, and to him, black vapor represented evil. I later remembered reading years ago about something black emerging from a person's mouth during an exorcism. That didn't quite fit the situation, as there was no exorcism going on, and my passed friend was not an evil man.

As I said, I'm not ruling out a biological cause. The only context I have to place this in is my spiritual beliefs. My friend was a very negative individual and constantly saw the bad side of everything. Additionally, he had been hospitalized since a stroke last year. My tentative hypothesis would be the exiting of a demon that had been attached to him.

I know that will sound like bunk to most people. However, I am still open to any plausible explanation. The one thing that I'm sure of is that I did witness it.

• Like 1

JK so sorry about your friend. My dad passed away from COPD back in 1996 at Brooke Army Medical Center at Fort Sam houston. He was in intensive care at the time. I myself didn't see anything white or black come from him when he passed. I do recall telling the catholic chaplin that daddy mentioned seeing a lady and child who visited him.Thios was before his operation for two tumors on his colon.

Daddy told me oh they're here. I couldn't see anything at all. He was very instistant on that fact so i played along. The priest was non commital as to what daddy saw. I still wonder if it was Mary and Baby Jesus since when in the hospital he returned to the Church.

It might have been just some biological thing for which there is an explenation with your friend. But I do understand your remark whether it was something dark since he was very negative.