Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

We're all doomed!

Professor T

So, just a topic for discussion..

Doom and Gloom.. There seems to be a lot of it lately...

Yeah, I've been down that path before.. YouTube side-bar explorations only feeds the fear after several clicks and YouTube clips the depth of the doom and gloom only deepens.. And watching the Doom and Gloom becomes self Gratifying, then before you know it, it's might just become a way of life...

There is something oddly satisfying in the doom and gloom scenarios.. In my case the satisfaction was in the fact that having something to fear gave my life purpose because it gave me something to fear, something to plan for and against..

Where does one draw the line between being a Doom and Gloomer and someone who simply plans for the best but is prepared for the worse without going overboard and deepening the spiral of fear?

What can we and society do to stop the downward spiral of fear?

• Like 1

Only eat from your own garden and keep a lot of guns? :D

Kidding...

I think maintaining the attitude of graditude and living in the moment is a really good approach. But giving back also helps. Its nice to know that you are contributing in a positive way in the lives of others (so that you, yourself are not a source of gloom.)

• Like 5

Not much actually. There is always someone predicting "the end of days". Sometimes they are just noise and no one listens, but every now and then, someone will pull a rabbit our of that hat that has some teeth...something that people can nod in affirmation with...so they jump on the doom train.

There is nothing wrong with being prepared for problems. Some folks take it a little farther than I would suggest as needed but...that is their choice.

We have Ukraine doom...

We have GOV overreach doom here at home

We have evil brown people terrorist doom

There is Fukishima doom

Sun and CME doom...

Space rock doom

Pandemic doom

Climate change doom (covers a lot of doom...droughts, failing crops and livestock, melting ice caps and rising oceans)

Financial doom...

I could go on and on with the things people fear as being "real" doom...and in a sense, they are right...any of these things "could" be catastrophic...

But people will always find some doom...no way to fix that.

• Like 2

I also think its good to have a positive philosophy as apposed to a negative one. Quit giving gloom all the glory so to speak. We can develop this by reading positive material before bed and let it resognate in us while we sleep as well as wake in the morning with praise on our minds, taking a moment to thank God for life and the opportunities that the new day holds for us. What we do when we first get up sets the presedence for the whole day.

• Like 4

I also think its good to have a positive philosophy as apposed to a negative one. Quit giving gloom all the glory so to speak. We can develop this by reading positive material before bed and let it resognate in us while we sleep as well as wake in the morning with praise on our minds, taking a moment to thank God for life and the opportunities that the new day holds for us. What we do when we first get up sets the presedence for the whole day.

Absolutely, SW! I am deeply interested in prophecy because I think it explains what signs to look forward to to announce the nearness of the return of the Lord. But if one speaks of them they are automatically put down as a doomsayer when nothing could be further from the truth. His return will HEAL man's destruction not cause the destruction. It is a positive thing to think of - the blue sky after the storm, so to speak!

Keeping one's mind on positive change and especially - focusing on helping others - can make life full of joy. I think a lot of the emphasis on doom comes from living in an electronic echo chamber.. we just need to "get out more"! :clap:

• Like 4

I agree with being positive...you have to laugh when all seems lost...at least I need to.

As far as "why"...

I think a lot of people look around and see such ugliness and such deeply ingrained corruption that they feel the only way to fix it is to wash it all away and start over...

The more religious folks see what they believe are "signs" and are happily waiting for Christ to return and end this crazy world of pain and suffering.

Me?...I'm growing older a lot faster than the doom is coming. Actually not too worried about it anymore. I'll be 49 in September and have made up my mind that if the real "SHTF" shit_hits_the_fan.gif were to happen...I hope I check out quickly. I am not in the greatest physical shape...wouldn't be a great fighter...(though I am a pretty good shot!)...I can farm and know how to raise farm animals...I can hunt and fish but I just don't see the need to get all worried about sticking around when the crapstorm comes...

• Like 1

Personally, I've found it impossible to live with a gloom & doom mentality and still maintain good quality of life, so I consciously look for things to celebrate, instead of things to fear. And I have found that even in the midst of some personal life's crisis, there's always a way to shift my consciousness from a negative to a positive, and making that shift is crucial to my moving forward. Otherwise, I'm like Pigpen shuffling around in a dust cloud of my own making. As a friend of mine says, it's what we bring to the party that counts.

• Like 4

hmmmmm, I'm seeing a pattern here. Everyone seems to draw the line at a different height..

Result...

We're still going to argue that one or another is a doom and gloomer because we don't agree on where the line should be drawn..

True?

Well... in honour the this current subject let's sing the doom song now (Just for the laughs)

Edited by Bildr
  • Like 1

There is something oddly satisfying in the doom and gloom scenarios.. In my case the satisfaction was in the fact that having something to fear gave my life purpose because it gave me something to fear, something to plan for and against..

I think you need a new hobby.

Where does one draw the line between being a Doom and Gloomer and someone who simply plans for the best but is prepared for the worse without going overboard and deepening the spiral of fear?

There are some things in life you SHOULD fear. There are some things in life you should be angry about.

"Where does one draw the line?"

I think we should pick and choose our fights. We can't advocate for change on every front. One does what one can.

But you're right, "We're all doomed!" According to BP and other oil companies, there's only 40 - 50 years left of global oil reserves. After that, the party's over. While there are many alternatives to oil, there are NO replacements.

http://www.bp.com/en...l-reserves.html

Edited by redhen
  • Like 1

Yeah, I've been down that path before.. YouTube side-bar explorations only feeds the fear after several clicks and YouTube clips the depth of the doom and gloom only deepens.. And watching the Doom and Gloom becomes self Gratifying, then before you know it, it's might just become a way of life...

the way i see it, fear is a personal thing - an inside job.

becoming educated about self sufficiency etc is always a good idea, but really the main thing is to stop searching for something TO fear and just get on with living right now.

• Like 3

I've noticed that people became so depressed in the past 10 years. Or you could say that you're becoming older and grumpier. It's really a choice.

I've noticed that people became so depressed in the past 10 years. Or you could say that you're becoming older and grumpier. It's really a choice.

I think that post 9/11 Doom and Gloom has turned into something a little more than an industry for some.. Doom and Gloom is a powerful mover of perceptions and tool to control people..

I read this little saying somewhere: "When I was young I was afraid of my father, now that I’m old I’m afraid of my children."

I do think ecologically the planet is going to be more difficult to live on in the next 50 years, and in the U.S. especially if the economic trend of the last 30 years continues.

The American middle class, long the most affluent in the world, has lost that distinction.

While the wealthiest Americans are outpacing many of their global peers, a New York Times analysis shows that across the lower- and middle-income tiers, citizens of other advanced countries have received considerably larger raises over the last three decades.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/

I read this little saying somewhere: "When I was young I was afraid of my father, now that I’m old I’m afraid of my children."

I do think ecologically the planet is going to be more difficult to live on in the next 50 years, and in the U.S. especially if the economic trend of the last 30 years continues.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/

It's true. We are regulating ourselves to mediocrity.

My link means nothing now, as it just goes to the Huffington Post.

It's true. We are regulating ourselves to mediocrity.

I'm not sure what you mean. I think the problem is not enough regulating.

Anyway, we are all going to die so no problem.

The Botoxians have the answer ?

• Like 1

There are things we should fear? if we have common sense? We should determine the causes of our fears , as a global community .. and then try to DO something about it?

If we stay isolated by politics/economics we may be doomed to a great degree.... but, if we can ever work together more cohesively there is hope?

No need for a one world government for cooperation to take root and grow.. it's up to us.

I know that sounds absolutely silly.. but a lot of true things do. post-86645-0-48541700-1398361139.png

• Like 2

There are two types of "doomsayers" imo.

1. There is the depressed pessimist who sees no hope for humanity or the future and is genuinely moved and concerned about the fate of the human race, the planet, the flora or fauna - whatever their greatest love is will be what they will stand up and claim sincerely is doomed . *disclaimer* this is not to be confused with actual flora or fauna that are genuinely threatened with extinction based on real scientific data - that is a diffferent matter altogether.

2. The thrill seeker - these are the lovers of thrill rides at the fair, love watching horror movies or action or "end of world" movies because it gives them a thrill to feel the fear - but make no mistake they love the feeling and really do not deep down believe the world will EVER end just as they do not believe the rollercoaster will fly off it's rails and send them catapulting to their deaths. If they believed that, they would never get on the ride and if they believed the world would end they would never enjoy an action or horror flick because it would seem all too real and plausible to them to enjoy.

• Like 4

Only eat from your own garden and keep a lot of guns? :D

I was planning something like that, apart from the guns..

Like has been said already, there's better ways to spend your time than this. Go enjoy nature, make love meditate, study something productive, expand your awareness, challenge yourself, enjoy life, whatever...

I recall a definition of addictions from AA going something like this: when it's something you dont enjoy doing and there's nothing out of it for you but you still do it and insist continuing (to yourself at least), it's an addiction. I check the daily news in case war's coming and other big stuff, takes a minute.

Doom and gloom is appealing because deep down I think most of us would prefer to live in some ideal world, and believe it can be built through wiping the table clean. However we'd be bound to repeat the same stupidities if we keep the attitutes and ideas that cause problems. Doom and gloom is just a band-aid.

• Like 3

Anyway, we are all going to die so no problem.

Now that's only if you dont believe in reincarnation nor in consequences of what you do here follow you to what's after this place.

And also if you care for no one else but yourself.

Edited by Mikko-kun

Doom yes, Gloom no. Doom is certain, ultimately, but... there is nothing to lose. Physical death is rebirth, not even a pause in consciousness. Reject gloom, unless you enjoy it.

My link means nothing now, as it just goes to the Huffington Post.

I'm not sure what you mean. I think the problem is not enough regulating.

Not the right kind of regulation. ( though I think I was half asleep when I responded to that, I think I read ecology as economy.... Anyway ). Ecologically speaking we have to seek conservation from a sustainable development. We do not have the capacity or will to simply regulate... We must integrate and create the right incentives to turn the planet around. A very good example is the comeback of the Tule elk of California. It was down to 27 animals on a ranch in Fresno, but the hunting organization Rocky Mountain Elk foundation spear headed a recovery effort. Now the herd is well over 2,000 animals. Groups have tried to stop the hunting of the animal because some tags are given out, yet its the hunters that fund and protect the animal. If done right sustainable development is much more effective than simple prohibitive regulations. We have to fit in with the ecology and we have to make healthy ecological choices fit in with us.