Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Vintage Easter cards

Still Waters

From bunnies to fluffy baby chicks, Easter is synonymous with all things cute. But while chocolate Easter eggs are a relatively modern phenomenon, as these stunning vintage cards reveal, an appreciation for all things adorable is not.

The Easter cards, which date from the early years of the 20th century, are festooned with delicately drawn rabbits, multicoloured chickens and rosy-cheeked cherubs galore.

http://www.dailymail...th-century.html

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• seaturtlehorsesnake

• OverSword

• Still Waters

• Bendy Demon

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

always interesting, though i have to admit that the image of a giant winged baby pecking its way out of an egg seems more unsettling to me than charming.

also, the way they try to connect the modern easter bunny directly with paganism is a bit of sketchy scholarship, in my opinion.

always interesting, though i have to admit that the image of a giant winged baby pecking its way out of an egg seems more unsettling to me than charming.

also, the way they try to connect the modern easter bunny directly with paganism is a bit of sketchy scholarship, in my opinion.

Well..actually, from what I recall reading, the bunny was one of the animals associated with the goddess Eostre. Apparently baby animals like bunnies and chicks was some of her animals.

I think it is a german mythology and eggs, as I recall, date back even to the egyptians...I probably am wrong but I think that is what I read.

At any rate, the cards shown are really nice.

there are a lot of myths that have connections between rabbits and fertility, but the way it was phrased in the article made it seem like there was a direct line of descent from the one to modern practice. and...

ok, maybe I'm making to much of it.

It looks like people have never had the correct imagery when celebrating the holiday meant to mark the resurrection. Bunnies, chicks, eggs.