Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

[Merged] A 13-year-old eagle huntress in Mongolia

Still Waters

Amazing to see a young girl carrying on a native tradition that is so old. Beautiful bird!! I love that they return the birds to nature after a time, especially since it's females that are taken.

Edited by Child of Bast
  • Like 1

Thanks for posting this Still Waters :) It's cheered me up.

What a lovely picture. I would like to get hold of it and have it framed on my wall.

• Like 1

This is sooo Awesome, I'm really glad some cultures are so isolated from mainstream that their cultural practices still exists, make for a good tourist venture for these folks if they don't mind nursing some noobs on their hunts....

• Like 2

• 8 months later...

http://www.lostateminor.com/2014/04/24/13-year-old-mongolian-girl-hunts-eagle-possibly-coolest-childhood-ever/?utm_source=outbrn&utm_medium=images&utm_campaign=trial

Travel writer and photographer Asher Svidensky recently spent some time in western Mongolia’s Altai mountains to document a young 13-year-old Kazakh girl who hunts during wintertime with the help of a golden eagle. With eagle-hunting being a traditionally male activity that goes as far back as 2,000 years in Mongolian history, it’s especially inspiring to see these shots of the young girl and her eagle companion in action.

• Like 2

Beautiful animal....

I have flown Steppe Eagles in Nepal and they're so heavy, the falconer pushes a stick through his belt to support his carrying fist.....

But I still can't get used to falconers carrying on their right fist!

• Like 3

Gold eagles are HUGE and one doesn't get to appreciate their size until it is compared to a human.

It is nice to see the two have a seemingly close bond.

• Like 2

This is a really amazing and wonderful article.

Beautiful bird.

On a side note, I just totally love that girl's coat.

I've seen other articles about this young girl and this particular one neglected to state she's the only female in a male dominated tradition. :tu:

• Like 1