Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

US teen survives 5-hour flight in wheel well

Still Waters

A 16-year-old boy has survived an extraordinary journey hidden in the wheel well of a five-hour flight from California to Hawaii.

A spokesman for Hawaiian Airlines said airline staff noticed the boy after the plane landed on Sunday morning.

He was questioned by the FBI and given a medical screening and was said to be in a stable condition.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...canada-27100395

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sweetpumper

• :PsYKoTiC:BeHAvIoR:

• Still Waters

• toast

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't get me wrong, it's a sad truth that some teens who runs away have a very good reason to leave.

But risking something like this? I hope it's not because he fears his family to the point where he is ready to put his own life in jeopardy just to escape. I hope his family is under investigation to determine that is the case.

It`s a wonder he survived this trip.

It`s an alarming fact that unauthorized ppl are able to get noteless direct access to commercial aircrafts at an

international/domestic airport by just jumping over a fence. I`m sure that a lot of trouble for the airport

management will follow.

And it is a sad fact that the billions of money invested globally, especially after 9/11, into air travel security

procedures and technology did not resulted into the high level of security that it should be and that was

promised to us so we accepted the increase of air travel costs. A fence, it`s ridiculous.

tumblr_lk1hm0OMlw1qcbo9lo1_1280.jpg

In 1970, Keith Sapsford, a 14-year-old boy, died after falling from the wheel-well of a Tokyo-bound Japan Air Lines DC-8 taking off from the Kingsford Smith Airport at Sydney, Australia.

John Gilpin, an amateur photographer, was testing his new camera lens as the plane took off and unwittingly caught Keith Sapsford’s 200 foot plunge to death.

http://www.rockingfundas.com/2012/07/accidental-photo-of-man-falling-to-his.html

Lucky is an understatement, people who try this are generally frozen to death, die from lack of oxygen, get crushed, or like SP's pic, they fall out and die. In fact, since 1996, there have been 105 stowaways on 94 flights worldwide, according to the Federal Aviation Administration. The theory here is his body went into a state of hibernation to survive the trip. His parents must be going through hell right now, I feel sorry for them. The kid is a complete idiot, I hope he realises just how lucky he is to be still alive.

Does anyone know how he was found? DId he just come to and hop out of the wheel well and get discovered, or did they find him unconscious still in the plane? The sources just seem to say workers "noticed a boy" which seems pretty vague.

Edited by psyche101