Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Cosmetic Company Wants to Lighten Moon

Still Waters

Geoengineering schemes, even serious ones, often seem a little wacky. But the latest tops them all: a pitch by a cosmetics company to brighten the surface of the moon.

http://www.livescien...on-project.html

Hey, forget about solving world hunger, let's make the moon even whiter!

But seriously, I can't see this being a serious endeavor.

• Like 3

What a nonsense!

• Like 1

A great idea in theory, let's see if it actually happens. But I agree, there are MUCH MORE pressing matters to deal with.

Lol, maybe the folks with this idea should spend a few evenings out in the boonies while the moon is out. Plenty bright enough to see by already. Light pollution in town does seem to outshine the moonlight though in more populated areas.

• Like 1

This is completely pointless. No one even uses the moon for light anyway.

I really don't want the Moon to be brighter than it already is. I enjoy my dark nights and the many shadows in which I can hide.

Okay, so how exactly do they plan to accomplish this? Like, what method would make the moon brighter than it is?

The only way (albeit totally ridiculous and impractical) would be to find asteroids/comets with sufficient material composition that would be lighter in color than what is on the moon. If you could find a way to hurl them at the moon - the resultant impact would spread ice particles and rubble in a radius around the impact sites. Granted, that would send up just as much of the original dust up with it. The best that we could hope fur is a moon covered in little white specks (from our point of view), which would probably increase brightness of the moon by a fraction of a percent.

Or maybe their plan is to melt/evaporate the existing water on the moon (somehow?) and then when it gets high enough up it would refreeze and blanket the ground in ice pellets. But since there is virtually no atmosphere on the moon of any kind, there would be no air to heat up to create this effect.

Edited by The Black Ghost

WOW!! Talk about shooting for the moon, literally. The sheer scope and size of this "little" endeavor is (in my opinion) way out of reach.

Edited by ancient astronaut

Wouldn't do anything to tidal activity, that is mass. I think the CEO wants to pave the way for putting advertisement on the moon that can be seen from earth. Whatever is the plan it is a stupid idea. I spend a lot of time outside on full moons in the woods and I see just fine. I love the nights when the power goes out and I can see the stars.

Edited by GreenmansGod
  • Like 2

I hate everything about this idea. And what if they do it and then decide it was a bad idea? Is there a backout plan? C'mon guys.

OK, lets think about this for a minute. If the moon is reflecting more of the suns energy into our atmosphere won't that raise global temperatures? Also, making the moon brighter at night will make it more difficult to see the stars, thus robbing people who don't live in cities (like I do) of the pleasure of viewing the night time stars in all of thier glory. Stupid, stupid idea.

Edited by OverSword
  • Like 1

We are taking the moronic ideas of lipstick carvers too serious I would say.

Edited by toast
  • Like 2

I agree, this is so idiotic on so many levels. You'd have to reflect enough light to the same level as just after sunrise or right before dusk. Anything else is a drop in the ocean or the other thing you do in the ocean. :whistle:

• Like 1

We sit here moaning about daylight savings time and how the time shift affects our internal systems, just imagine having more light than usual at night. That will throw people's systems off for sure, lower productivity, sickness then eventually, we will adapt but at what price? Whoever thought this up was a truly inconsiderate buffoon.

I think the pollutants from the amount of fuel and resources to do such a thing will far out way the benefits.

And what about the phases of the moon? It's not like it's a full moon every night. For half the lunar cycle 1/2 or less of the Moon is illuminated in such a way we can see it from the earth. So big deal, you make the few nights at or near full to be a little brighter, the rest of the time it's useless.

Not to mention the entire idea is absurd in the first place.

• Like 1

It would be easier to lobby governments to introduce a new law where all new building have to have 80% of the roof covered in solar panels.

Agree with GreenmansGod, nothing short targeting the Moon as an advertising platform.....

• Like 1

I think the pollutants from the amount of fuel and resources to do such a thing will far out way the benefits.

Yeah but you cannot assume that a cosmetic industry moron is aware of the laws of entropy.

Maybe in a different correlation. Eau de Entropé No.3, 50ml, 85USD.

• Like 2

That's um...interesting. Or how about use the sun instead? Probably gives off more energy. Plus I like how it is at night, I don't want it any brighter.