Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Man complains he cant follow Jedi religion

seeder

You know in a way I guess we should be free to practice any religion/or set of beliefs etc we want, but I dont quite get why someone wants to practice a fictional concept dreamt up by a movie producer. Its about the samer as saying the prison wont give him his superman pyjamas, IMO :lol:

The farce is strong with this one: Inmate complains that prison 'bigots' are preventing him from practicing his JEDI religion

Prisoner says he is being 'denied' his right to follow Jediism

Inmate at HMP & YOI Isis accuses bosses of 'intolerance and bigotry'

National Offender Management Service does not recognise Jedi as religion

Faith preaches meditation and ‘accessing ancient inner knowledge’

It was officially recognised in the 2001 UK census, when it was the fourth most popular religion in the UK

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2609706/Jedi-inmate-unable-use-force-prison-bosses-refuse-recognise-Star-Wars-based-religious-beliefs.html#ixzz2zbRMrmBg

Jedi-ism is based on a film (or film script) and Christianity is based on a book. What's the difference?

Edited by Leonardo
  • Like 3

You know in a way I guess we should be free to practice any religion/or set of beliefs etc we want, but I dont quite get why someone wants to practice a fictional concept dreamt up by a movie producer. Its about the samer as saying the prison wont give him his superman pyjamas, IMO :lol:

The farce is strong with this one: Inmate complains that prison 'bigots' are preventing him from practicing his JEDI religion

Prisoner says he is being 'denied' his right to follow Jediism

Inmate at HMP & YOI Isis accuses bosses of 'intolerance and bigotry'

National Offender Management Service does not recognise Jedi as religion

Faith preaches meditation and ‘accessing ancient inner knowledge’

It was officially recognised in the 2001 UK census, when it was the fourth most popular religion in the UK

http://www.dailymail...l#ixzz2zbRMrmBg

Yes a fictional concept dreamt up by a group of nomads in the Middle East, several thousands years ago is much more believeable :tu:

Jedi-ism is based on a film (or film script) and Christianity is based on a book. What's the difference?

Not a lot really, but at least if you follow orthodox religion there is a few thousand years of faith based upon, an allegedly REAL person. Jedi-ism is complete fiction and never claims to be based on real people

however jails in the UK have Chapels, or a room dedicated to being one, Christian priests visit as do Catholics, Jews and Muslims, and prayer rooms/mats are available for Muslims. So considering there isnt a high population of Jedi worshipping criminals, then I don't see what the issue is really. This sounds like one of those cons who is pushing the boundaries and possibly hoping to sue the prison service for denial of his rights.

One thing with the Census that they make every one fill in tho, apart from the fact the questions sometimes seem intrusive, I know a neighbour who told me he had filled in the form as being of the faith of Jedi. He done that solely as a pee take. Now considering people tend to copy other people, you can get a sense of the fact that its a joke response to questions of faith.

besides, even if HE is genuine, what do you 'need' to practice Jedi-ism? Chapels? Prayer mats? NO, Jedi-ism is simply about believing there is ONE universal force that also resides within...

"Many of the truths that we cling to depend on your point of view." - Yoda

Edited by Likely Guy

Not a lot really, but at least if you follow orthodox religion there is a few thousand years of faith based upon...

And antiquity is the only real difference the major religions can claim to 'novel' beliefs such as Jedi-ism. But basing a claim on antiquity is seriously flawed, because simply being ancient grants no certainty of 'truth' in any claim.

Whoever was inspired to 'invent' the beliefs of the Jedi may have been inspired in exactly the same way as those who 'invented' the beliefs of any of the world's major religions. That it was invented to be incorporated into a film is irrelevant to that.

• Like 2

L Ron Hubbard (a Science Fiction writer) invented Scientology...how does that differ from Jedi-ism? Like Leonardo said, at some point someone had to start the ball rolling with all religions.

May the Force be with you!

• Like 6

And antiquity is the only real difference the major religions can claim to 'novel' beliefs such as Jedi-ism. But basing a claim on antiquity is seriously flawed, because simply being ancient grants no certainty of 'truth' in any claim.

Whoever was inspired to 'invent' the beliefs of the Jedi may have been inspired in exactly the same way as those who 'invented' the beliefs of any of the world's major religions. That it was invented to be incorporated into a film is irrelevant to that.

Scientology was invented by a mediocre science fiction writer. :tu:

Edit: Damn you beat me to it Lilly

Edited by Noteverythingisaconspiracy

So... Since he is a "Jedi" and he is doing time for a crime.. Does that make him a Sith?...

• Like 3

The thing is, cons in jail get up to all-sorts just to pass the time, have a laugh, or try to get compensation. I know, Ive unfortunately been there, over 20 years ago I may add. In my cell, back in the days of 3 to a cell, was me, another white guy from the north, and a Muslim, and we all got along...

many would go to the 'chapel' on Sundays, just to get out of the cells, hell me included. I went to more chapel in jail then ever on the outside, but that was the old system jails with 23 hour lock up unless you worked, and work was short, and with a waiting list.

Now the Muslim chap had a 'special diet', (for in prison you state your religion if any, on reception). And his food was way better than our regular slop. I had tried previously to claim I was switching to vegan, as again, the vegan meals were much better, but because I hadnt stated this on reception, it was bloody almost impossible to insist I wanted to change. Eventually I was allowed the vegan diet though, and then soon missed the regular slop with meat in it :lol:

Now the northerner in our cell wanted to switch to the Muslim diet, and also wanted to 'fake' becoming a Muslim for the out of hours prayer sessions, and again, the screws sensed the dodge in action and blocked his requests...for he didnt state any interest in the Muslim religion on reception... and 20 years ago was way before the compensation culture mindset

So maybe he is one of the cons trying the same game? We'd need more info of course but this is why I doubt it a bit

But hell yeh - I do agree that everyone can think and have faith in what they want...

• Like 2

I don't blame the correctional facility for not allowing the inmate to practice Jediism.

First, what's to say the inmate will not try to use the jedi mind trick to escape?

Second, he will probably be seduced easily in joining the dark side anyway. He's in prison for a reason.

Third, the guards doesn't want the inmate to learn how to choke hold or shoot lightning bolts at someone once he's turned.

Fourth, there would be endless paternity lawsuits because of the inmate's claims that he's everyone's father.

Last, if I was the inmate, I'd be more concerned not dropping the soap in the prison showers than wielding a green flashlight.

Edited by :PsYKoTiC:BeHAvIoR:
  • Like 7

Er, despite many web assertions otherwise Jedi was never recognized as a religion in the UK, it was only recognized as a faith.

In a galaxy, far ,far ,away......how can he be a Jedi when they haven't got here yet. Another nut case wanting attention.

Hi Leonardo

I have to agree with seeder here, despite what fact tells us, religions of the world are based in belief anyway, not fact, and that belief traces back to a deity. People do have genuine respect for religion as a truth, be it one or not. Jedi religion is not based in a genuine belief, it's just role playing. I agree that in principle they may well be on a level playing ground, but with regard to historical perspective, and with respect to people who devote their lives to theism, they are apples and oranges. Some take it very seriously and do indeed try to make a difference for the better. I can respect that. There are no guarantees in religion, you have to trust God as far as I know. He makes the call on judgment day so the story goes. One might guess the prison warden might be older generation too, many of whom hold great reverence for religion, and would see the Jedi reference as a large insult. Jedi religion is not a faith, it's fanaticism.

People hold onto religion much harder than they themselves realise in any case, how many who think religion is a farce still hold onto an afterlife concept?

I cannot see them being inspired in the same way either, with regards to religion, man meant to control others in a social situation, and also tried to understand the environment about him, even if the explanations simply called upon a higher power. The Jedi are, and only ever existed to entertain, they seem more suited to the category of cosplay than religion. It was never meant to explain more than how to smash box office records.

Scientologists are two faced thieving charlatans, no other way to describe someone who flat out lies to your face. It's not a religion the way I see it, but a cult that blackmailed it's way into religious status. I cannot bring myself to believe that John Travolta is actually stupid enough to fall for the Xenu story. He would not be where he is today if he was that stupid, so he has to be lying when he preaches Scientology, but what is even worse is he thinks the average person is so far below him that he can pull the wool over anyones eyes with just charm and that the average person is so stupid they will believe a crazy story like that without question. I have seen Tom Cruises attempts at acting, and am willing to concede that case might well be dumb luck, and he just might be dimwitted enough to believe such garbage. But a normal person is simply not that stupid.

It's just another loudmouth idiot attention seeker. And it worked. But he is insulting some good people I believe, who do not deserve to have something they hold so dear belittled and would happily save his wretched (fictional?) soul should had he been on death row or the like. The missionaries who bring food to third world countries deserve to be considered with more honour than a fictional movie concept too I feel. Religion has plenty bad, but like anything, there are exceptions to the rule. I do not refer to YEC's or other academically challenged groups, but those who actively help others in dire need. Even if they do have an underlying agenda.

I think the fellow ought to be tarred and feathered for his disruptions personally.

But hell yeh - I do agree that everyone can think and have faith in what they want...

I agree, but not a single individual has to respect it. Respect is earned, not granted.