Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Primate displays fire making abilities

Rafterman

An interesting new video from the BBC series "Monkey Planet" shows a primate building fires and cooking food, but yet we're supposed to accept that Bigfoot-type creatures - claimed by many to be just as intelligent as humans - who have lived side-by-side with humans for thousands of years display no such learning abilities.

Another nail in the Bigfoot coffin.

An ape builds fire and toasts marshmallows in amazing BBC video for 'Monkey Planet'

An ape at the Iowa Primate Learning Sanctuary in Des Moines is stirring Internet buzz with a stunning demonstration of primate intelligence on the BBC series "Monkey Planet."

BBC

A You Tube video clip from the series shows the animal building a fire from scratch and toasting marshmallows without human help.

http://www.syracuse....t_river_default

Edited by Still Waters
Reduced amount of copied text - please avoid copy & pasting entire web pages or articles
  • Like 1

An interesting new video from the BBC series "Monkey Planet" shows a primate building fires and cooking food, but yet we're supposed to accept that Bigfoot-type creatures - claimed by many to be just as intelligent as humans - who have lived side-by-side with humans for thousands of years display no such learning abilities.

And how much training did this take? will this ape tell the other apes how to make fire?

We are nothing like apes in my opinion

Edited by Still Waters
Shortened quoted post
  • Like 1

And how much training did this take? will this ape tell the other apes how to make fire?

Well that's kind of the point. The Footers claim that BF is of equal if not more intelligent than humans and yet this "dumb ape" can be taught to build a fire and cook food. Where are the BF villages, the tools, the fires, the food prep areas, etc, etc.

• Like 2

Well that's kind of the point. The Footers claim that BF is of equal if not more intelligent than humans and yet this "dumb ape" can be taught to build a fire and cook food. Where are the BF villages, the tools, the fires, the food prep areas, etc, etc.

Lately for some reason I have been thinking that bigfoot could be some sort of alien perhaps the greys have rather large bodyguards?

Hell ... they even had that bigfoot thing in star wars

Edited by SecretAgentMathew

Apes do have a good learning ability. I remember watching a documentary years ago where a guy would drop some fruit off on a sandy river bed every day, and the apes would show up later to collect them every day. They would then spend a lot of time cleaning off all of the sand while eating them. Then one day one of the females washed it off in the river before eating it, all of the others saw this and from that day forward they would all immediately clean their food off with the river before eating.

• Like 1

It bugs me when people use the old native american legends of bigfoot as "evidence" of bigfoot existence.

Native americans had many legends that were not true.

http://listverse.com...rican-monsters/

Agreed. It's just post-hoc bull**** attempting to weave an historical record that doesn't exist.

Apes do have a good learning ability. I remember watching a documentary years ago where a guy would drop some fruit off on a sandy river bed every day, and the apes would show up later to collect them every day. They would then spend a lot of time cleaning off all of the sand while eating them. Then one day one of the females washed it off in the river before eating it, all of the others saw this and from that day forward they would all immediately clean their food off with the river before eating.

After living next to us for thousands of years, you'd think an equally intelligent primate like BF would want to be driving a Lexus and watching a flat screen by now

Same with the Australian Yowie. Aboriginal tales described it as a short man with backward facing feet. So if someone tried to follow the Yowies footprints they would head in the wrong direction. Now its just described like a bigfoot, except in Aus.

If monkeys make fire then I see alot of wildfires and burned monkeys. Fur + fire = Disaster :yes:

Edited by mfrmboy

yes its a great vid and thanks for posting it, but Im inclined to think it is indeed a 'monkey see-monkey do' kind of thing. I mean, without matches, or a BIC lighter, he's screwed right?

Dont get me wrong, either way its pretty cool, but we have also seen smoking chimps...

• Like 2

Yeah its says without human help. I was expecting sticks rubbed together or something along those lines. This is hardly without human help.

That conclusion seems like quite a leap in logic.

• Like 1

DOn't leave the loaded guns lying around within reach of the apes is all I can say ~

The video clip is so pieced together, it's hard to tell what went on. His fingers are show lighting a match, then the next part is of a fire burning much more than it wouls have if it was just started. With only that video, I have to assume there is a reason why the camera was not panned out so we could see the whole thing from start to finish.

• Like 2

I've seen monkeys use a lighter to lite their cigarettes, and who says Bigfoot can't BBQ ?? Your just guessin !! I saw one tendin bar and smoking, but I am pretty sure he didn't learn that in the wild.

Edited by Forever Cursed

I'd argue that it is illogical to suggest that a mythic creature like bigfoot can or can't do anything. I'd suggest that a person can have an opinion, but nothing can be proven.

I'd also argue that there are thousands of wildfires started every year across North America that are unexplained. Mostly the officials blame dry lightning or spontaneous combustion or some such, but perhaps it is Ol' BF frying up a squirrel?

A You Tube video clip from the series shows the animal building a fire from scratch and toasting marshmallows without human help.

I have to say that this actually doesn't show the chimp building the fire. It shows steps in building the fire, but because it jumps from one step to the next, it is impossible to say that the chimp actually did so.... Unaided, any way.

I'd suggest that if BF is smart, he'd keep his "footprint" (pun intended) to a minimum, thus no villages, no tools left behind, food always cleaned up. Imagine if humans lived on a world where Orcs, or Klingons, or giant insects were at the top of the food chain, and they would kill the humans if they found them. They would not live in villages, or cook food in the open, or leave evidence lying around. They would hide. But, individuals would very likely still go out into the world and get caught, or seen, or killed.

We've simply just not killed a BF, and examines it yet.

• Like 1

That conclusion seems like quite a leap in logic.

So basically you're saying that a primate of equal intelligence to humans simply stopped evolving and learning 1,000+ years ago - all the while watching humans build modern civilization all around them.

Makes sense.

I'd argue that it is illogical to suggest that a mythic creature like bigfoot can or can't do anything. I'd suggest that a person can have an opinion, but nothing can be proven.

I'd also argue that there are thousands of wildfires started every year across North America that are unexplained. Mostly the officials blame dry lightning or spontaneous combustion or some such, but perhaps it is Ol' BF frying up a squirrel?

I have to say that this actually doesn't show the chimp building the fire. It shows steps in building the fire, but because it jumps from one step to the next, it is impossible to say that the chimp actually did so.... Unaided, any way.

I'd suggest that if BF is smart, he'd keep his "footprint" (pun intended) to a minimum, thus no villages, no tools left behind, food always cleaned up. Imagine if humans lived on a world where Orcs, or Klingons, or giant insects were at the top of the food chain, and they would kill the humans if they found them. They would not live in villages, or cook food in the open, or leave evidence lying around. They would hide. But, individuals would very likely still go out into the world and get caught, or seen, or killed.

We've simply just not killed a BF, and examines it yet.

Which would also support the idea that BF would make weapons and learn to defend himself from humans, right? Shouldn't we be finding spears, clubs, bow/arrow, and even firearms.

Which would also support the idea that BF would make weapons and learn to defend himself from humans, right? Shouldn't we be finding spears, clubs, bow/arrow, and even firearms.

Not if BF is smart enough to realize it is idiotic and suicidal.

If there was 20 thugs with heavy sticks and you had a gun, would you wade into the fight? Now, what if the 20 thugs had guns and you had a stick? Do you see my point regarding weapons.

(2000 Bigfoot + weapons) - (7 billion Humans + weapons) = Bigfoot looses

An ape builds fire and toasts marshmallows in amazing BBC video for 'Monkey Planet'

An ape at the Iowa Primate Learning Sanctuary in Des Moines is stirring Internet buzz with a stunning demonstration of primate intelligence on the BBC series "Monkey Planet."

This is from the Iowa Primate Learning Sanctuary.

Iowa Primate Learning Sanctuary is a non-invasive, interdisciplinary and interspecies scientific research facility in Des Moines, Iowa, dedicated to understanding the origins and future of culture and the impact culture has on the beings we become. Special focus is directed to areas of language, the creation and implementation of tools, musical and artistic creativity, and intelligence, all of which help answer the foundational question, "What makes us human?"

The bonobos there are being taught various skills in this study. As pointed out, using matches and/or lighters doesn't seem to count as without human help. If this bonobo, Kanzi, were to build a fire using only natural materials, it would be more interesting. Fire building is a learned behavior, not an innate ability.

A hominin is quite likely capable of surviving without the usage of fire. Archeological evidence suggests this. Early hominins moved into the northern latitudes of Europe perhaps 800,000 years ago, but evidence for use of fire is weak until about 300,000 to 400,000 years ago. This is when the region was boreal/subarctic, yet fire apparently wasn't habitually used for quite some time.

Wil Roebroeks and Paola Villa (March 29, 2011), On the earliest evidence for habitual use of fire in Europe. PNAS, vol. 108, no. 13, pg. 5209-5214

A non-human hominid, intelligent or not, probably could survive just fine without fire. Suggesting that if Sasquatch does exist, that is must have the intelligence and behavior, such that it is using fire and building villages and tools seems a presumption.

Are there claims for Sasquatch being of equal or greater intelligence than humans? I know people have claimed that they are intelligent, but is that in comparison to a deer or bear, a gorilla, or a human?

• Like 1

Are there claims for Sasquatch being of equal or greater intelligence than humans? I know people have claimed that they are intelligent, but is that in comparison to a deer or bear, a gorilla, or a human?

It is said that they hide very well, bury their dead and hide the grave, be sure not to leave any tools laying around, cross streets only when completely clear, understand that they are outnumbered by humans, find enough food for a 400 pound animal and family to survive.

It is said that they hide very well, bury their dead and hide the grave, be sure not to leave any tools laying around, cross streets only when completely clear, understand that they are outnumbered by humans, find enough food for a 400 pound animal and family to survive.

If someone was to accept their existance. (Of which I am actually skeptical) Those traits would have to be true.

• Like 1

Come to think of it, cremation would explain the lack of bigfoot cadavers.... And bigfoot would be careful to hide his having fire so we wouldn't figure out what he was doing with the bodies.... so the lack of fire and the lack of bodies add up to proof positive of bigfoot's existence! :P

• Like 1