Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Researchers tackle 'SLIders' phenomenon

UM-Bot

Some people seem to have the ability to turn off streetlights simply by walking underneath them.

This well established phenomenon has been reported for years but nobody seems to know how a select few otherwise normal, everyday people appear to be able to disable streetlights and other devices just by walking next to them.

Read More: http://www.unexplain...ders-phenomenon

What? Heck most lamps can have bouts of flickering, so...if you walked under them when they had a flicker, or the lamp was old and died..would you think this was paranormal?

Let me say this, I dont believe it. At all. Do they also turn car headlights off? Torches? Bugger up the phones? Get shocks when they touch metal, as static does? Why lamp posts?

But I could also do this... lets say the lamps are timed to go out at 7am... then all I need to do is go for a walk at that time and I could be seen to turn off an entire street :lol:

• Like 1

Most if us have heard someone say they can't wear some kind of watch because the electromagnetic field in their body makes it stop working or run fast/slow.

I've ready that its usually from watch makers who make poor watches and don't want to fix them so they make the cheated customer feel like they're special and that its them, not the watch. "Once in a while a rare individual like yourself finds that their electromagnetic field is reverse of normal and they cant wear a regular watch." LoL.

People will believe anything that makes them feel special.

I had written a post long ago about my experience with this strange phenomenon. In the past, I would have street lamps flicker frequently (though not always) I walked beneath some of them. Nowadays I don't cause streetlamps to flicker anymore, but sometimes when I place my finger above (but not always touching) a light switch, the light that the switch controls would occasionally shut off until I take my finger away.

Edited by Ashyne

I tried to read the online SLI text, but I was accosted by a variant of SLI called PLI or the Page-Limited-Inspection virus where only the top quarter of the text page was readable ... it's really amazing how often we assign causation to correlational or even chance observation or events.

Edited by highdesert50

I had written a post long ago about my experience with this strange phenomenon. In the past, I would have street lamps flicker frequently (though not always) I walked beneath some of them. Nowadays I don't cause streetlamps to flicker anymore, but sometimes when I place my finger above (but not always touching) a light switch, the light that the switch controls would occasionally shut off until I take my finger away.

So I have just recorded a video of myself attempting this again on one of the light switches where I experience this phenomenon. I will post the video here in a few moments.

I believe it. I have done this many times to my TV. I'll walk past it, fairly close and it will go screwy, and it will not clear up till I walk away. It sometimes stays screwy till I walk past back the other way. It never does this when my wife or kids walk past it, only for me. I have also had street lamps flicker at me when I am out at night.

That must be pretty awkward when you need to change the light-bulb.....

1) Turn off power before changing bulb - is it off or "off".

2) Change bulb.

3) Turn power on again - is it on or off or "off"?

....or does new bulb work or not?

...How can you tell if it was ok before or not?

...Probably best to get someone else to do it!

• Like 1

So I have just recorded a video of myself attempting this again on one of the light switches where I experience this phenomenon. I will post the video here in a few moments.

Video has been published!

View it here-

Description:

This has happened all my life. Years ago, it were street lamps that flicker when I sometimes walk beneath them (SLI?), but since 8 years ago, occasionally house lamps would go crazy and flicker if I simply touch the switch its connected to. Not pressing or flicking the switch, just gently placing my finger on it. This is my recording of one such incident.

[media=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRa0NtWSkjg[/media]

Edited by Ashyne

What? Heck most lamps can have bouts of flickering, so...if you walked under them when they had a flicker, or the lamp was old and died..would you think this was paranormal?

Let me say this, I dont believe it. At all. Do they also turn car headlights off? Torches? Bugger up the phones? Get shocks when they touch metal, as static does? Why lamp posts?

But I could also do this... lets say the lamps are timed to go out at 7am... then all I need to do is go for a walk at that time and I could be seen to turn off an entire street :lol:

Some of the sodium street lights in my neighborhood go off and on by themselves. They probably over heat, turn off and when cooled, turn back on, indicating a bad filiment and not paranormal.

Some of the sodium street lights in my neighborhood go off and on by themselves. They probably over heat, turn off and when cooled, turn back on, indicating a bad filiment and not paranormal.

Exactly, I've experienced this many times in my life and I've always just chalked it up to coincidence and good timing. I even had a wierd experience for a few weeks when it seemed every time I drove down a particular street several of the lights would go off as I drove past. After some thought, it made sense that I passed that spot nearly the same time every night for a while and so just happened to catch the pattern. No great mystery.

After a few years I stopped paying attention at all because there didn't seem to be a discernable pattern. I haven't thought about it in years until I saw this article.

It could just be tied the the EM field that they give off. I've know people who fry things like key cards and minor electronics if they're in contact with them for too long or too often. It's possible that people who experience this phenomena may be exerting a stronger than average EM field during the occurrence.

• Like 1

Thanks for the video, Ashyne. I just have one minor nit to pick. Can you please show that you are not, in fact, turning off the switch by keeping a flashlight or candle on the switch or something? If you can do that, I think that will qualify as good, solid, usable evidence.

Thanks for the video, Ashyne. I just have one minor nit to pick. Can you please show that you are not, in fact, turning off the switch by keeping a flashlight or candle on the switch or something? If you can do that, I think that will qualify as good, solid, usable evidence.

What you see is what is actually happening. What do you mean by keeping a flashlight or candle on the switch? There is only my finger there. Other hand is holding my camera phone.

I mean shine a separate light onto the switch as you place your finger on it, so we can see that you are definitely not quickly flipping the switch. For the record, I believe you. I would just like to see it captured on video.

Put a flashlight on a nearby table so that it's pointing at the switch and turn it on. Then, do what you did in the video you posted.

This has happened all my life. Years ago, it were street lamps that flicker when I sometimes walk beneath them (SLI?), but since 8 years ago, occasionally house lamps would go crazy and flicker if I simply touch the switch its connected to. Not pressing or flicking the switch, just gently placing my finger on it. This is my recording of one such incident.

So it is not just this one switch? One switch can be a coincidence, but many switches acting that way is very unlikely.

Hi Ashyne, I watched the video.

I tried to watch what was happening, and when, very closely...

It seems that the light always goes off when your finger is in the same position, and pressing slightly on, and slightly downwards on the switch.

Are you able to make this light go off without actually touching that switch at all?

It seems to me that there is something loose mechanically inside the switch that allows for the breaking of the electrical current when pressed a certain way.

I'm not suggesting that you are faking this phenomenon at all, just that it is explainable on a simple mechanical level.

• Like 1

Just an oversensitive switch wired funnily, seen plenty of these. Easy to spot since light only turns off when you actually touch the switch, NEVER when your finger is close but doesn't touch. I can set up any switch like that. So where are your videos doing the same in other people's homes???

This used to happen to me quite a bit from the age of about 17 to 19, then it just stopped. To this day however my phone or my ipod battery will be full when I take it off the charger and die within minutes about twice a year.

What you see is what is actually happening. What do you mean by keeping a flashlight or candle on the switch? There is only my finger there. Other hand is holding my camera phone.

Looks like a bad or touchy switch. The test is to have someone else put their finger in the exact same spot and see if it will happen. Alternatively, try it on the other switches and see if you have any effect. Please note that it appears you are just lightly touching the rocker switch and that particular switch may be shorting out.

Edited by Merc14

It looked like a touchy switch to me too, which is why I asked if this happens only on this switch or on all switches. :tu:

This happens to me but it's always the same street lights, never random ones so in my opinion I have no powers the damn lights are faulty.

I have seen a couple people attempting to win the James Randi prize using this ability.

Way too quick to call it a Virus...

I have had this experiance but not like its every street light or an odd i had even bothered to calculate. I remember stories when I was young that it was a sign of a present dark spirit, but once again it is random so in sensibilities sake it is not worth the rabbithole journey.