Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Harry Reid liar liar pants on fire

OverSword

From the article:

The Republican National Committee has released a brutal memo on Senate majority leader Harry Reid, savaging him for repeatedly lying. The memo, under the name of press secretary Kirsten Kukowski, is titled "Nothing’s Too Unethical for Harry Reid."

"Harry Reid is having a bad month," the memo begins. "He was caught funneling campaign money to his relatives. His Senate Majority PAC was caught lying to voters. And he was caught hypocritically accepting money tied to people he calls 'un-American.' As he desperately clings to power, is there anything Harry Reid won’t do to promote his own self interests?"

Handcrafted Nepotism

As Jon Ralston outlines in Politico, FEC reports revealed Harry Reid funneled $31,000 to his granddaughter’s jewelry company for what a spokesperson claimed was holiday gifts of “jewelry” and “knick knacks.” (Thirty grand must buy a lot of knick knacks.)

Why does this matter? First, because when an initial payment of $17,000 was found, Senator Reid dismissed it, paid his campaign back, and insisted there was nothing to more to see. But there was: $14,000 more. So what else is he hiding?

Second, the FEC requires that gifts paid for by campaign funds be of “nominal value.” Either Reid is buying boatloads of “nominal” gifts or he clearly violated that standard. Or a third option: he’s just using campaign dollars to prop up his granddaughter’s business.

As Ralston reports, Reid has a long record of nepotism:

“…e lobbied a local city council to help land his son Josh a city attorney’s post. He has also been accused of helping another son—Ryan Elisabeth’s father, Rory—get legal clients, and of taking a special interest in Asian investors represented by Rory.”

Liar, Liar PAC on Fire

Harry Reid’s Senate Majority PAC doesn’t believe in facts. It’s running a barrage of attack ads that fact-checkers all agree are false. The Washington Post’s Glenn Kessler gave “four Pinocchios” to ads the PAC is running in Louisiana and in Arkansas. In other words, they’re complete lies.

About one Louisana ad, Kessler writes, “Television stations in Louisiana should be ashamed of falling for such an obvious gambit.” On the Arkansas ad, he says, “None of the allegations made about Cotton or his policies are factually correct.”

PolitiFact gave the Arkansas ad a “false” rating and the Louisiana ad a “mostly false” rating.

These ads reveal two things. First, Harry Reid and his allies have no respect for the truth and is perfectly content to lie to Americans. Second, Harry Reid is so desperate to cling to power that he’ll resort to whatever means necessary to keep his perch as Majority Leader.

It’s not really surprising that Democrats are lying through their teeth. They’re losing because of ObamaCare, which was sold on a lie. So the only way they can defend themselves—or attack those who support patient-centered healthcare reform—is to lie some more.

In Harry Reid’s world, the mantra seems to be, “If at first you don’t succeed, lie, lie again.”

Un-American Activities

To distract from his shady dealings, his corruption, and his PAC’s lies, Harry Reid likes to label Charles and David Koch as “un-American.” Interestingly, the Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee has accepted tens of thousands of dollars from their Koch Industries PAC, and Democrat Senators like Mark Pryor (D-AR), Mark Begich (D-AK), and Mary Landrieu (D-LA) have taken donations from the PAC as well, according to OpenSecrets.org.

Harry Reid’s own campaign has previously accepted donations from a Koch Industry lobbyist.

Does that make him and his fellow Senators “un-American” also?

Once again, the truth doesn’t matter to Harry Reid. For a Senator who tells outright lies and funnels campaign money to his family, hypocrisy probably seems like no big deal.

But the hypocrisy doesn’t end there. Even as he attacks political donor, Harry Reid happily rents out the Senate floor to major Democrat donors. Last month, after donor Tom Steyer promised to spend up to $100 million in Super PAC money for Democrats, Harry Reid organized a meaningless talk-a-thon in favor of one Steyer’s pet projects: cap-and-trade.

As Morning Joe said the other day, Harry Reid’s behavior is undoubtedly “beneath the office” and “out of line.”

There’s little doubt that Harry Reid is abusing his power as Majority Leader and resorting to desperate and deceitful measures to hold on to his position. And in so doing, he’s showing that he’s not fit to hold the position.

Read the rest here

• Like 2

He's no different from every other politician in Washington.

You know, as a Democrat, I am getting so tired of the insults, the stereotyping, the name calling by those on the right. How on earth does anyone think that is OK? Does anyone wonder why our country is so divisive? I disagree with a lot of the politics of the right, but I don't belittle them, I don't call them names, I don't hurl insults, and don't sit around thinking of clever or not so clever put-downs. I really don't understand why anyone thinks this kind of behavior is acceptable or how our communities or country benefits from this.

• Like 4

You know, as a Democrat, I am getting so tired of the insults, the stereotyping, the name calling by those on the right. How on earth does anyone think that is OK? Does anyone wonder why our country is so divisive? I disagree with a lot of the politics of the right, but I don't belittle them, I don't call them names, I don't hurl insults, and don't sit around thinking of clever or not so clever put-downs. I really don't understand why anyone thinks this kind of behavior is acceptable or how our communities or country benefits from this.

I agree. Im sick of it. As being right wing I notice it from the left all the time. But that's because its easier to ignore my back yard, I know alot of the right does it too.

Everyone needs to just stop with the insults when people disagree :su

• Like 2

Seriously? Just in the past week the left has called many on the right out right terrorists. We have been called racists since 0bama got elected. Personaly I think the elected on both sides deserves WAY worse then what they have been called. Dirty Harry here is basicaly mofia, and its high time he gets called out on it. To me, the truth is alway's acceptable.

• Like 3

Seriously? Just in the past week the left has called many on the right out right terrorists. We have been called racists since 0bama got elected. Personaly I think the elected on both sides deserves WAY worse then what they have been called. Dirty Harry here is basicaly mofia, and its high time he gets called out on it. To me, the truth is alway's acceptable.

I'm not talking about politicians & what they do and don't do. I'm talking about from one citizen to another and being able to engage in civil discourse and work together for the good of our country. There've been some posts here from the left that are essentially attacks on the right that I don't care for and that just exacerbate the problem. E Pluribus Unum. I am not the enemy of the right, the Tea Party, Libertarians, or anyone else, nor are they my enemy. We're all just people with different points of view and different solutions, that's all.

• Like 3

I'm not talking about politicians & what they do and don't do. I'm talking about from one citizen to another and being able to engage in civil discourse and work together for the good of our country. There've been some posts here from the left that are essentially attacks on the right that I don't care for and that just exacerbate the problem. E Pluribus Unum. I am not the enemy of the right, the Tea Party, Libertarians, or anyone else, nor are they my enemy. We're all just people with different points of view and different solutions, that's all.

So Beany, do you consider bringing attention to the wrond doings of Harry Reid to be an attack on the left? :cry: If this was a republican spending campaign funds to prop up his grandaughters failing business and using his political influence to get family members important positions in law firms that litigate on behalf of lobbyists and other imorral actions would you have a problem with it then. Left or right, exposing the wrong doings of these dirt bag politicians is the right thing to do and we having knowlege of the immoral actions of these low-life, power mad, evil scum bags is essential in cleaning up our government so that we can, as you rightly put it "being able to engage in civil discourse and work together for the good of our country" With a person like Harry Reid in aoffice this just won't be possible.
  • Like 3

I whole heartedly agree with your post, 100% but.....

If you truly believe what you have posted, I can only imagine how disappointed you must be in the democratic party itself. They've taken mud slinging to a whole new level. Not only do they liable, personally insult, and fabricate press stories but now they taken to insulting average hard working Americans. And Harry Reid leads the pack and so over stepped the line when he referred to the citizens standing up to the overbearing out of control federal government as domestic terrorists.

I can't wait to hear how he'll refer to the Texans that will not give up their land along the red river.

• Like 2

Blatancy carries itself to a whole new level with the times I guess nowadays ~

Dirty Harry is not long for our government me-thinks.

• Like 2

So Beany, do you consider bringing attention to the wrond doings of Harry Reid to be an attack on the left? :cry: If this was a republican spending campaign funds to prop up his grandaughters failing business and using his political influence to get family members important positions in law firms that litigate on behalf of lobbyists and other imorral actions would you have a problem with it then. Left or right, exposing the wrong doings of these dirt bag politicians is the right thing to do and we having knowlege of the immoral actions of these low-life, power mad, evil scum bags is essential in cleaning up our government so that we can, as you rightly put it "being able to engage in civil discourse and work together for the good of our country" With a person like Harry Reid in aoffice this just won't be possible.

I don't like the personal attacks. Call Reid, or Pelosi, or Obama anything you want. But none of those names are mine, and not all liberals are stupid or "sheeple." Expose the dirt bag politicians all you want, go for it. But when it's you & me, can't we be civil?

• Like 3

That's also why you're a boss around here. ;)

I whole heartedly agree with your post, 100% but.....

If you truly believe what you have posted, I can only imagine how disappointed you must be in the democratic party itself. They've taken mud slinging to a whole new level. Not only do they liable, personally insult, and fabricate press stories but now they taken to insulting average hard working Americans. And Harry Reid leads the pack and so over stepped the line when he referred to the citizens standing up to the overbearing out of control federal government as domestic terrorists.

I can't wait to hear how he'll refer to the Texans that will not give up their land along the red river.

I said earlier I wasn't referring to politicians, either the left or the right. I'm talking about from one human being to another.

The democrats sling mud? Wow. Projection

That's also why you're a boss around here. ;)

I'm no boss, I very seldom delete any posts, I prefer to let posters be represented by their words, I do ask all too often that the forum rules of behavior be reviewed. And that's pretty much it, just a request that the guidelines be observed.

• Like 1

I don't like the personal attacks. Call Reid, or Pelosi, or Obama anything you want. But none of those names are mine, and not all liberals are stupid or "sheeple." Expose the dirt bag politicians all you want, go for it. But when it's you & me, can't we be civil?

So true! The political labels get dragged around so much it starts to look nuts. Always suggesting that everyone in one group is just what they say it is. It becomes too much "liberals this" and "conservatives that."

We might even fashion ourselves liberal, yet 80% of what they're saying about "liberals" doesn't describe us one bit! We can't share most of their best values, because of "the liberals...". Always gotta make sure there's this tension between groups all the time. It makes your job here a lot harder than it needs to be too I bet.

• Like 1

I wasn't aware I had been less than civil to you or anyone else (on this thread anyway) Unless you count Dirty Harry Reid.

So true! The political labels get dragged around so much it starts to look nuts. Always suggesting that everyone in one group is just what they say it is. It becomes too much "liberals this" and "conservatives that."

We might even fashion ourselves liberal, yet 80% of what they're saying about "liberals" doesn't describe us one bit! We can't share most of their best values, because of "the liberals...". Always gotta make sure there's this tension between groups all the time. It makes your job here a lot harder than it needs to be too I bet.

I ususaly describe myself as a personal liberal and a political conservative, meaning I don't care what anyone does in their personal life, with the obvious exception of hurting others or impeding on the rights and liberties of others, and I'm against the government intruding in our personal lives beyond what is outlined in the constitution.

As I said in another thread, who benefits from us ripping each other apart, naming each other as enemies and accorded no respect or tolerance, who benefits from keeping us divided? Who benefits from the mud slinging? Who benefits from the half-truths, exaggerations, mis-information? Who benefits from these continual emotional appeals that often bring out the worst in us? It's happening on both the right & the left. It's distracting us all from realizing that we are all in this together and could likely survive and thrive if joined together and acted for the good of all instead of just our own small political affiliation.

• Like 1

I wasn't aware I had been less than civil to you or anyone else (on this thread anyway) Unless you count Dirty Harry Reid.

There's a lot of stereotyping that goes on here in general that is applied to other posters for whom the stereotypes may not be applicable. But that's the beauty of stereotyping, isn't it? It's shortcut thinking that bypasses the brain, so that one need not do much real thinking at all about a topic, let alone any in-depth thinking.

• Like 1

Fox News and MSNBC comes to mind. Without the mudslinging and rivalry, they would lose out on a ton of viewers.

That they would lose viewers, what does that say about us? Fact is, many people have their own favorite mud slingers that they perceive as being truth tellers, telling it like it is, being fair, while the mud slingers in the other camp are simply that, mud slingers. And we just swallow that hogwash without a shudder, without looking for other sources, without bothering to arm ourselves with more information. Then we blame GOV for all that's wrong, without ever bothering to assess our own culpability, always pointing fingers at the designated bad guys. Everyone says, I'm not the problem, it's someone or something else. And some people even call for a revolution, because they want it their way, the heck with any rights or opinions I might have about it. And would I get a say in this so-called revolution? I think not. It would be the same group of alpha males wanting power, wealth, control, and willing to do anything, anything, to get it and keep it. OK, my rant for the day is done.

As I said in another thread, who benefits from us ripping each other apart, naming each other as enemies and accorded no respect or tolerance, who benefits from keeping us divided? Who benefits from the mud slinging? Who benefits from the half-truths, exaggerations, mis-information? Who benefits from these continual emotional appeals that often bring out the worst in us? It's happening on both the right & the left. It's distracting us all from realizing that we are all in this together and could likely survive and thrive if joined together and acted for the good of all instead of just our own small political affiliation.

The tragedy to my mind is that Fox News and MSNBC masquerade as news outlets but are actually nothing more than propaganda outlets for the different sides and CNN is apparently staffed by idiots. Each side has the propaganda of there side drilled into them ceaselessly. Somewhere in Hell I think Joseph Goebells is laughing. To get actual news you have to either go to PBS or al-Jazaera. Walter Kronkite would be ashamed. Edited by spacecowboy342

Hi Beany, I get what you're saying and have a quick and obviously true answer. The rich and the powerful (including big corporations) both profit from keeping the general public divided in their false left vs right pardigm. We are at each others throats over things that really don't matter in the scheme of things as far as the wealthy and powerful are concerned such as abortion, marriage equality rights etc...which distracts us as they do immoral things like appoint former heads of monsato to the directorship of the FDA and EPA. So in my opiion this is the reason why it is important to expose the kind of corruption that political gamsters such as dirty harry are guilty of. Why you would view the exposure of this corruption as an attack on your pet political ideology is beyond me. Perhaps you can explain?

Edited by OverSword
  • Like 1

Political groups, like liberals, conservatives, democrats, republicans, patriots, socialists, neocons, corporatists, "the terrorists", "the right" and "the left". Groups need our group-think otherwise they're rendered obsolete.