Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Shuttle Carrier Aircraft

Waspie_Dwarf

Shuttle Carrier Aircraft

It has been called the world's greatest piggyback ride: a space shuttle, atop a Boeing 747 jet aircraft. But this is no ordinary 747, this is the Shuttle Carrier Aircraft...the SCA. This specially modified jumbo jet was not only a taxi service for the shuttle, but also helped in the development of the shuttle itself. In 30 years of flying, the majestic image of a spacecraft joined to the SCA, became a symbol of American invention and ingenuity.

Credit: NASA

Source: NASA - Multimedia

• Like 1

It is a sight to behold...and hilarious that a big fat passenger plane gets our stuff into space lol :tu:

a big fat passenger plane gets our stuff into space lol :tu:

It didn't, it just ferried the shuttle around.

And just to show that NASA engineers have a sense of humour (ETA - also in video at 7:00):

humour-747-navette.001.jpg

Edited by Peter B
  • Like 3

To (mis)quote Crocodile Dundee : Thats not a plane, this is a plane !

800px-Antonov_An-225_with_Buran_at_Le_Bourget_1989_Manteufel.jpg

Antonov An-225.

Edited by Noteverythingisaconspiracy
  • Like 1

And just to show that NASA engineers have a sense of humour (ETA - also in video at 7:00):

humour-747-navette.001.jpg

Allways read the instructions :tu:

oops3.jpg

• Like 1

Waspie do know of the Suit -Sat in 2006 ,? Where they released a Russian suit "Orlan" space suit back into a decaying orbit to be burned up ? I think there was some actual science involved !

Thanks for any reply ! :tu:

The picture i tried to insert in post#6

post-144931-0-35997800-1398634625_thumb.

Edited by Noteverythingisaconspiracy

The picture i tried to insert in post#6

Caption competition: "Our rocket is so powerful we can launch it backwards and it still gets into orbit."

Waspie do know of the Suit -Sat in 2006 ,? Where they released a Russian suit "Orlan" space suit back into a decaying orbit to be burned up ? I think there was some actual science involved !

Thanks for any reply ! :tu:

I'm not sure exactly how that is any way "on topic" so I won't be going into detail here, but it has been covered on UM before: http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=263561

Seeing the images of the SCA and the Antanov 225 makes me smile, I have been lucky enough to see both.

In 1983 the SCA visited the Paris Air Show with the prototype shuttle, Enterprise, attached. On it's way back to the US it visited London, stopping briefly at Stansted Airport. I was fortunate enough the see the SCA/Enterprise flying along the river Thames from Greenwich.

In 1990 the Russians brought the An 225 to the Farnborough Air Show. Unfortunately the Buran shuttle was not part of the exhibit.

Edited by Waspie_Dwarf

Caption competition: "Our rocket is so powerful we can launch it backwards and it still gets into orbit."

"NASA, now exploring inner space too"

Space Station Live: "The Big Move"

Space Station Live commentator Kyle Herring interviews Paul Spana, the exhibits manager from Space Center Houston regarding "The Big Move" of the Shuttle Carrier Aircraft from Ellington Field to Space Center Houston. This interview aired during Space Station Live on April 28, 2014.

Credit: NASA

Source: NASA - Multimedia