Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Soldier loses home to squatters

Arkitecht

In a case that seems unreal,a soldier serving his country has had his home taken by a couple of low life jailbirds. After reading the comment section, he might have some help...from bikers!

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/oddnews/soldier-in-battle-to-rid-home-of-squatters--florida-sheriff%E2%80%99s-office-says-it-can%E2%80%99t-do-anything-210607842.html

• Like 1

It happens to thousands of people a year. Criminals know which laws to take advantage of. I read some stories where a person left town on a business trip for three days and came back homeless.

• Like 1

Well at least the utility companies seem somewhat helpful. They won't turn on anything without a lease. I wonder if this includes gas and electricity or only water.

The story is just unbelievable, though.

I saw the biker comments, too. I hope there's a way to follow up with this story to see if the bikers are successful. :)

• Like 1

by florida laws seven years of adverse possession can help you claim the property, those were not there for as long, so they are traspassers, and sheriff knows it, but as usual police is there to "serve and protect". lol

Edited by aztek
  • Like 1

Since the cops are useless,the Bikers are the ones who really are the best course of action.Hard to fight a group of guys that will go the extra mile to fix the problem. And they will get the job done and enjoy it.

• Like 1

Well at least the utility companies seem somewhat helpful. They won't turn on anything without a lease. I wonder if this includes gas and electricity or only water.

The story is just unbelievable, though.

I saw the biker comments, too. I hope there's a way to follow up with this story to see if the bikers are successful. :)

While many home owners do this, the cops will often threaten them with jail time if they try to cut off utilities like that.

edit: Other commenters say they've had their friends lease out the homes, get inside the house then call the cops saying they've never seen these people before and they're trespassing while showing the lease to prove their residency. That seems to be a good strategy.

Edited by Wickian
  • Like 1

:tsu: In this state "before you call the cops", you kick in the door, shoot them both and cite felony breaking and entering. This state will not prosecute if you kill someone in the commission of a crime, especially if you are protecting your property, and with out that written contract it's kinda tuff to argue "I had a right !" Well that and the fact you would be dead. :innocent: Edited by Forever Cursed
  • Like 2

:tsu: In this state "before you call the cops", you kick in the door, shoot them both and cite felony breaking and entering. This state will not prosecute if you kill someone in the commission of a crime, especially if you are protecting your property, and with out that written contract it's kinda tuff to argue "I had a right !" Well that and the fact you would be dead. :innocent:

...I like that idea.And you just got rid of the problem quickly and got the house back.Works for me.

In a case that seems unreal,a soldier serving his country has had his home taken by a couple of low life jailbirds. After reading the comment section, he might have some help...from bikers!

http://news.yahoo.co...-210607842.html

I have run into this issue numerous times when I owned an armed security company in Phoenix, AZ. Most of if not all states verbal contracts are enforceable the same way a written one is. Obviously in a court of law a signed written one has a higher level of proof then a verbal does. Anyways, I have had people who have run into similar situations hire our company to assist with removing these dirt bags. 9 out of 10 times the dirt bags would have a warrant for their arrest so when I ran their backgrounds and find the warrants then myself and a couple of my biggest, baddest, meanest 250lb guards would go have a chat with them and advise them they have 5 minutes to pack their crap and leave or I would arrest them on their warrant. Worked 90% of the time and for the ones who refused to leave, eventually they had to go on their drug run, so we would watch the place, wait until they leave, have the owner come over with new locks, change the locks, wait on the dirt bag to come back with their drugs, arrest them off the property for their warrant, find their drugs on them, cops would come, take them for the warrant, and when they searched them before putting them in the squad car, would find the drugs and charge them with felonies. We always made sure the cops new exactly where the drugs were to make it as easy as possible for the cop to get an easy felony bust along with a warrant arrest.

We did this to one guy and about six months later we got hired by a another person and when we went to the house, the guy saw who we were since we arrested him before on a warrant and he just immediately said I am leaving now..lol

Edited by Jeepguy2014
  • Like 3

In Reno some guy heard something on his roof went out side and looked and saw some one trying to get into his attic, so he went back in the house and got his rifle, came back out, and one shot, one kill. Copes went up on the roof and looked and it appeared he was trying to pry a vent off, so the home owner was justified.

I have run into this situation numerous times where even the cops know the squatter is lying his ass off but as soon as the squatter starts saying he is a renter it becomes a civil matter. The only way to fix this is each state will have to enact a law that states rental agreements have to be in writing and notarized to be valid. This would eliminate the verbal claims or the squatter downloading some blank standard form and forging a signature on it. As a cop once told me in an incident like this "knowing is one thing, proving it is another" hence why it is a civil matter once the squatter starts asserting a renter rights. Only a judge has the legal authority to hear civil disputes and render a decision based on the preponderance of evidence of who he believes to be the most believable and order an eviction. Unless you see the crime as it is occurring such as the squatter changing the locks and the police can catch them in the act of doing it and can charge them with burglary, it becomes a civil matter. One of the things the police will often do is see if the squatter has personal property in the home that shows they established a residency. That is why it is always good to have a security alarm system to alert you right away if you have a vacant home because it all about the timing.

If the squatter has been in there a few days or a week it becomes much harder to disprove the squatters claim of a rental agreement to the cop. And never give them a house key to do work in your house. Always make sure anybody working on your house that you, a family member, or a trusted friend is there at all times during the work and that you not them lock the door when you leave after ensuring the contractors have left. Cops when responding to a call will look for signs of forced entry as a clue to whether this falls in a criminal burglary/trespassing criteria or a civil matter so squatters will often break out a small window to get in and then replace the window right away as to cover the crime of entry up. Doggy doors are another method used to get in. Cops and their departments along with the city have to act carefully on these types of calls so they don't get sued which is why most of the time they will call it a civil matter for you to resolve with the courts.

Vacant or vacation homes are prime targets for squatters and they keep their eye out for just these types of homes where they know they can get in and it may be weeks or months before somebody comes and checks on the homes. They look for homes that don't have alarm systems in, especially homes that there is no power on. They look for people advertising rentals in places such as craigslist and newspapers. If you are a landlord and you want to save yourself the hassle, headache, and a lot of money from eviction fees and damages the squatter is sure to cause, then make sure you are checking on your property frequently or have a friend do so. Or hire a security company to do daily checks.

Edited by Jeepguy2014
  • Like 2

In Reno some guy heard something on his roof went out side and looked and saw some one trying to get into his attic, so he went back in the house and got his rifle, came back out, and one shot, one kill. Copes went up on the roof and looked and it appeared he was trying to pry a vent off, so the home owner was justified.

Yep..not an issue in castle doctrine states such as mine in Arizona or the place you mentioned Nevada. If you are home and are in possession of your home and somebody is attempting to break in you absolutely can use force including deadly force to prevent the act from occurring.

Arizona just recently improved upon the castle doctrine law by now making it the prosecutor responsibility to prove you were not justified to use deadly force. It changed the burden of proof from the homeowner to the state where it should be. As a homeowner during an attempted break in I should not have to prove I was justified under castle doctrine laws. Prosecutors by law can only bring a charge if there is a reasonable belief they would be able to get a conviction.

Edited by Jeepguy2014

:tsu: In this state "before you call the cops", you kick in the door, shoot them both and cite felony breaking and entering. This state will not prosecute if you kill someone in the commission of a crime, especially if you are protecting your property, and with out that written contract it's kinda tuff to argue "I had a right !" Well that and the fact you would be dead. :innocent:

Well and the other thing too is it is hard for a dead scumbag to try and claim he had a rental agreement :yes:

• Like 1

It happens to thousands of people a year. Criminals know which laws to take advantage of. I read some stories where a person left town on a business trip for three days and came back homeless.

How long did it take to remove the person?

Since the cops are useless,the Bikers are the ones who really are the best course of action.Hard to fight a group of guys that will go the extra mile to fix the problem. And they will get the job done and enjoy it.

Biker groups many of them are former military and detest these types of scumbags so many of them would be happy for a 12 pack of beer and a little kick the scumbag time to highlight their day :yes:

Edited by Jeepguy2014

Hopefully the squatters read the comment section and tuck tail and leave.

Hopefully the squatters read the comment section and tuck tail and leave.

Hopefully not!They need a 12 gauge wake up call.

They've already left.

In body bags?(i hope)

Yeah just read the update on this since Sweetpumper said they moved.Appears they can read.Also mentioned was that the cops got up off their butts to really do something... And the bikers were already on their way.Anyway they were seen packing up a uhaul van wed night.

Yeah just read the update on this since Sweetpumper said they moved.Appears they can read.Also mentioned was that the cops got up off their butts to really do something... And the bikers were already on their way.Anyway they were seen packing up a uhaul van wed night.

Good news to hear but that just means they moved on to the next vacant house. Until they can figure out how to make their squatting a criminal offense it will just continue to be a problem.

• Like 1

Good news to hear but that just means they moved on to the next vacant house. Until they can figure out how to make their squatting a criminal offense it will just continue to be a problem.

I agree completely. But if we did what should be done,then we get in trouble! Crazy world.

Burn it to the ground and collect the insurance, looks like it's been run down anyway.

Burn it to the ground and collect the insurance, looks like it's been run down anyway.

That would be fraud and they could end up in jail. Probably not a good idea.

• Like 1

I'm not a moron, but I have always had difficulty understanding "homesteading" and "squatters rights"....It seems it varies state to state.

It seems....that if I were to go into a National Forest...lay claim to some land on the quiet...use it...produce from it for a specific amount of time....then I own it. (not going to be easy in this day and age)

But we see with the "Bundy" thing...that is not necessarily the truth. Apparently...the rules are flexible and can be changed to suit whoever has the most money. The BLM is def against allowing the sheep to have this ability.

Now before someone has a meltdown....I get that we need to have "protected zones"...sort of. I personally know of millions of acres of land that is being wasted....a clever person could use that land and still protect the native flora and fauna....but clever seems to not be allowed....the lowest common denominator is always used....hacks and thugs...users and abusers....but not everyone is that way....

As far as "squatters" taking over a place....you have to realize there was a time that this was acceptable for a reason. If someone just ropes off land that people need and then never use it....that is not good either. If I am not mistaken....this kinda sprang out of the Civil War....when plantation owners....devastated by war...let their land go fallow.....it was prudent to put that land into the hands of people that would use it....(I might be wrong here and I am not going to "google it"...feel free to prove me wrong).

Land is and always has been the only "real" thing of value...gold is...well...a thing we use to exchange....but you cannot eat it....build houses with it...it is a silly thing we decided was valuable for exchange....never figure that one out. Gold is vanity..."Oh I have a shiny thing"

Wheat, barley, potatoes, tomatoes, corn, petroleum, coal, natural gas.....this has value...gold is a funny freaking thing to me....if i did not need it to get some taters or some oil....I'd say it is absolutely worthless.

Edited by Jeremiah65