Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

100-Million-Year-Old Assassin Flies Found

Still Waters

Assassin flies are named for their fierce predation strategy - they ambush and catch their prey in flight. Once caught, the flies puncture the armor-like skeleton of their prey, inject them with digestive fluids and extract the nutrients within.

For more than 100 million years, these creatures have ruled the world of insects as a top predator.

http://www.sci-news....mber-01874.html

• Like 1

I really need to clean my glasses. :blush: :blush: :blush: I thought that said "assassin FILES" and I'm like.... how would files last 100 million years?? :unsure2:

• Like 1

"For more than 100 million years, these creatures have ruled the world of insects as a top predator."

I'm sorry, but that is very FALSE...I'd expect more from a MOD..

I really need to clean my glasses. :blush: :blush: :blush: I thought that said "assassin FILES" and I'm like.... how would files last 100 million years?? :unsure2:

You're not the only one! I saw the same thing!!!

"For more than 100 million years, these creatures have ruled the world of insects as a top predator."

Actually, it's true.

Within the insect world (bugs eating bugs) these are one of the top predators. They exist today as a group called "robber flies" ... and if you've ever seen one of them nab another insect out of the air, I know you'll agree that it's pretty spectacular. They're also a fairly large insect by today's standards and people are often spooked by them (not me. I like them.)

Wikipedia's got a good but brief page on them, with a picture of a modern robber fly noshing on a wasp.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assassin_fly

• Like 1

so did I.

Why are you acting as though she did the research and she is the one making the claim? If you have issues with the claim, take it up with the paleontologists since I'm sure you're one yourself.