Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Putin: Internet is a CIA project

seeder

Vladimir Putin gave his clearest signal yet that he aims to break up the global nature of the internet when he branded the network a "CIA project" on Thursday.

The Russian president told a media conference in St Petersburg that America's overseas espionage agency had originally set up the internet and was continuing to develop it.

Putin has long hinted that he wants a Russian-run alternative. The idea of breaking up the internet has gained ground in Germany, Brazil and elsewhere round the world in the light of the revelations by whistleblower Edward Snowden about the extent to which the US National Security Agency has infiltrated Facebook, Skype and other social media.

http://www.theguardi...up-internet-cia

He's just mad that Russia's cyber warfare capabilities are nowhere near the effectiveness of the USA's/

• Like 4

He's just mad that Russia's cyber warfare capabilities are nowhere near the effectiveness of the USA's/

Not just him, from the OP "The idea of breaking up the internet has gained ground in Germany, Brazil and elsewhere round the world in the light of the revelations by whistleblower Edward Snowden about the extent to which the US National Security Agency has infiltrated Facebook, Skype and other social media".

• Like 4

Not just him, from the OP "The idea of breaking up the internet has gained ground in Germany, Brazil and elsewhere round the world in the light of the revelations by whistleblower Edward Snowden about the extent to which the US National Security Agency has infiltrated Facebook, Skype and other social media".

Well since it was their black budget that funded the creation of facebook, skype, etc.... Edited by OverSword
  • Like 1

The man of the hour:

• Like 1

Internet aka DARPANET initially was the joint project of US Navy and the Pentagon very very old news but Putin is right

Edited by SolarPlexus
  • Like 6

He's just mad (and other countries too ) that USA is abusing the internet to limit our freedoms more than anyone else in the world

fixed that for ya

• Like 2

A Russian run Internet!! Wow, that takes my breath away.

Good old Putin, champion of freedom and individual rights.

Oh, wait a minute......!

• Like 2

A Russian run Internet!! Wow, that takes my breath away.

Good old Putin, champion of freedom and individual rights.

Oh, wait a minute......!

Perhaps you didnt read/or understand what was being suggested

+1

Perhaps you didnt read/or understand what was being suggested

"Putin has long hinted that he wants a Russian-run alternative."

Well, well. Perhaps I did read it and understand it.

He's a puppet, he's only doing what he's told, he's smart enough to realize that he's a human being first, like everyone else, no matter where you happen to be born, and Russian only second. But he's also smart enough to see the big picture and the "game" that is being run for a show here on the planet. He's simply playing out his part in it, it's his scene now, it'll come to pass and it'll be all forgotten about and won't matter in the big scheme of things, but right now, it's what's supposed to distract people from things that do matter, and apparently it's working really well for some.

As for the US's cyber warfare capabilities, I wish people educated themselves. What good is any of what the US has against what the Russians have? I'm not talking about their anti-satellite technology which makes the entirety of all US troops, jets etc. all blind if it comes to a war. I'm talking about psychotronic weapons.

Everything he's outlining for the clueless masses, the Russians had 35 years ago. Just saying. Do you know what they have today? I didn't think so. Do you think they're worried about cyber warfare? They're not as stupid as you'd like to believe them to be. They'll surprise you one day, and humiliate you if they have to. But then again, China could do that on its own today if they wanted to. Fighter jets and tanks? Toys from 2 generations ago. Only around for the show, mass entertainment it's called. The real warfare is where you don't see it coming.

• Like 3

Well since it was their black budget that funded the creation of facebook, skype, etc....

Skype was not in any way, shape or form invented by NSA:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skype

Nor was Facebook:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Facebook

• Like 2

Because wiki is good

Nor the Internet - that was Sir Tim berners - Lee

Berners_Lee invented the worldwide web not the Net.

• Like 1

That could only result in a drawback of international openness in the world. That's the beauty of the internet, on can acess a Russian website from China or a Spanish website form the US ect. Communicating and connect with people around the world. If certain continents decide to withdraw in their corners of the world, I fail to see how is that a positive move in the long-term. I seriously doubt it would happen though.

Obviously all the succesful model of major internet corporation are American-based. Microsoft, Google, Apple, Facebook, Twitter ect.

In a kind of 'cold-war'' type of rivalry, it maybe that Putin wants to make sure that Russia becomes of major player as well. Rutube instead of Youtube may be a starting point.

http://techcrunch.co...e-vimeo-videos/

Edited by sam_comm
  • Like 1

"Putin has long hinted that he wants a Russian-run alternative."

Well, well. Perhaps I did read it and understand it.

Did you also notice this bit?

The idea of breaking up the internet has gained ground in Germany, Brazil and elsewhere round the world in the light of the revelations by whistleblower Edward Snowden about the extent to which the US National Security Agency has infiltrated Facebook, Skype and other social media".

Maybe I should add what the difference is between the net, and the web?

What is The Internet?

The Internet is a massive network of networks, a networking infrastructure. It connects millions of computers together globally, forming a network in which any computer can communicate with any other computer as long as they are both connected to the Internet. Information that travels over the Internet does so via a variety of languages known as protocols.

What is The Web (World Wide Web)?

The World Wide Web, or simply Web, is a way of accessing information over the medium of the Internet. It is an information-sharing model that is built on top of the Internet. The Web uses the HTTP protocol, only one of the languages spoken over the Internet, to transmit data. Web services, which use HTTP to allow applications to communicate in order to exchange business logic, use the the Web to share information. The Web also utilizes browsers, such as Internet Explorer or Firefox, to access Web documents called Web pages that are linked to each other via hyperlinks. Web documents also contain graphics, sounds, text and video.

The Web is just one of the ways that information can be disseminated over the Internet. The Internet, not the Web, is also used for e-mail, which relies on SMTP, Usenet news groups, instant messaging and FTP. So the Web is just a portion of the Internet, albeit a large portion, but the two terms are not synonymous and should not be confused.

http://www.webopedia...vs_Internet.asp

ETA added source!

Edited by seeder
  • Like 3

Did you also notice this bit?

The idea of breaking up the internet has gained ground in Germany, Brazil and elsewhere round the world in the light of the revelations by whistleblower Edward Snowden about the extent to which the US National Security Agency has infiltrated Facebook, Skype and other social media".

I read it all. Do you intend to cross examine every poster in this thread? Personally I have very little time for social media.

It remains to be seen, though, whether the idea of breaking up the Internet merely gaining ground in Germany and Brazil leads to anything as major as that. And if it does I certainly would not wish to be connected or affiliated to any alternative proposed or supported by Putin.

I read it all. Do you intend to cross examine every poster in this thread? Personally I have very little time for social media.

It remains to be seen, though, whether the idea of breaking up the Internet merely gaining ground in Germany and Brazil leads to anything as major as that. And if it does I certainly would not wish to be connected or affiliated to any alternative proposed or supported by Putin.

Count China in too

The Chinese government wants its own Internet

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1722650/chinese-government-internet

WHats the latest numbers on online E-commerce annual consumer spending ?

~ no wonder why really ~ and no surprise why everyone wants their own 'Internet' ~

~ best open secret there is ~ just a 0.5 percent increase across the sectors and they'll be rolling on the floor laughing all the way to the bank without having their hands soiled by 'cash and change'

~ Googled sources page

• Like 1

So, why not have our own internets instead of www? Doesn't sound like a major project.

• Like 2