Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Telepathy experiment

Argonaut

This is my first post here or any forum of this type, but I thought my story might be of some interest.

About 12 years ago my friend and I thought we would do a little fun experiment. Both of us had been interested in telepathy and everything paranormal for years, but we thought we would put it to the test ourselves. I've always been a skeptic (and still am) of such things but I'm open minded nonetheless. The experiment I came up with was that we would both have an A4 sheet of paper, and a pencil. We would take it in turns, one of us would draw something, and once done the other had to draw what they thought the other had drawn. The only rules were that it couldn't be anything in the room around us, and it couldn't be anything obvious, in this case obvious might be something we were talking about earlier in the day, or just something that we might both think of anyway. Also even though we were sitting facing each other obviously the paper was shielded from the other person.

We did the experiment about 4 times, and 2 of those times the result was a little odd to say the least.

One of the times I drew what I thought was a round-ish/squarish clown face with crosses for eyes, a round-ish mouth, and a triangle for a roof. He had drawn front on 2 storey house, with crosses for the 2 front top windows (no other windows) a arched/rounded door, and a triangle for a roof.

One of the other times, he drew what he thought was a ostrich bird, with a large round body, a long neck pointing to the right, with a small rounded on the end, and 2 legs slanting out from the bottom of the large round body. I had in fact drawn a radar dish, with a large round body, a rod extending to the right, with a small round shape on the end, and 2 legs slanting out from the bottom of the dish.

Both versions of both drawings were roughly the same size, same proportions.

These results did and have always freaked us out :). I've scratched my head over the years as to how something like this would be possible, and the only thing I could come up with was if (and it's an if for reasons I'll explain) the person doing the guessing was studying the person doing the first drawing, maybe it was possible the the person doing the guessing had picked up on the slight arm movements, and slight eye movements, not consciously because that would make the whole experiment pointless, but subconsciously picked up on those movements and then when it came to their time to draw what they thought the other had drawn, maybe the recall of those movements somehow allowed an image to form in the mind which was then drawn.

There's a few problems with that. The first is that the 2 surprising results went both ways, in that I drew something very similar to what he drew and he drew something very similar to what I drew, so if it was picking up on slight movements, then we must of both been doing it. The 2nd issue is that I'm fairly certain that we were not looking at each other when one was doing the original drawing, because again what would be the point.

But anyway that's pretty much the only explanation I've got. You might argue that perhaps we both did indeed just think of 2 similar things at the same time, but then we didn't both draw a clown, or both draw a radar dish, we drew what we "saw" in our minds eye, which was a different object, but we just drew it almost exactly like the original drawing.

That's my story :)

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Argonaut

• John from Lowell

• theotherguy

Hi,

It is my understanding, and my experience that telepathy is a Shared Experience. Actually shared within the self in a bi-located manner.

Consider every human an energetic being with the universal mind as its core reality. Then all truly evolved skills would be found within the Self.

Nice story.

John

Welcome to the show! Have you tried repeating the experiment since then, or tried it with someone you don't know?

Welcome to the show! Have you tried repeating the experiment since then, or tried it with someone you don't know?

Thanks. No I haven't, but I thought I might give it another go :)

Hi,

It is my understanding, and my experience that telepathy is a Shared Experience. Actually shared within the self in a bi-located manner.

Consider every human an energetic being with the universal mind as its core reality. Then all truly evolved skills would be found within the Self.

Nice story.

John

Thanks.