Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Leopard seal feeds a "hungry" diver.

EllJay

This giant Leopard seal did - after a initial "inspection" of this nature photographer Paul Nicklen - conclude that he must be hungry, and begun to mother him with what is on the á la carte menu for leopard seals - penguins.

Leopard seals are huge predators who mostly live in and around Antarctica. Though they will eat small fish and krill, they are the main predator for penguins. These seals can reach up to 3.5 m (11.7 ft) in length and tip the scales at up to 600 kilograms (1,320 lbs). They have massive sharp front teeth used for shredding meat and can open their mouths twice as far as a Grizzly bear. Yikes.

National Geographic photographer Paul Nicklen put his life on the line when he got into the water with these these huge predators. The first time they came face-to-face, the leopard seal put Nicklen’s entire camera and head into its mouth.

What came next needs to be seen to be believed:

Read more at http://www.iflscienc...zcBoTEAJqp1W.99

[media=]

[/media] Edited by EllJay
  • Like 4

the wonders of nature, amazing!!

• Like 1

What big teeth you have.

That was amazing that a animal would do that. Thanks for sharing.

• Like 1

Wonder if the seal had either lost a pup, or had recently become too old to breed and so considered the diver a proxy pup?

• Like 2

A little Photoshop work, and TA! DA! the Lochness Monster exclusive photo.

Those things have been known to kill people. Dangerous to be around, the headline could easily have been ' Leopard Seal feeds on a 'hungry' diver'.

• Like 1

Those things have been known to kill people. Dangerous to be around, the headline could easily have been ' Leopard Seal feeds on a 'hungry' diver'.

Nature is often so cruel, savage, raw, and unpredictable, but sometimes it can be the total opposite and it is then we get so amazed. All those "impossible" friendships that happens sometimes are awe-inspiring. Like these two>>

http://youtu.be/g7rZTZBOrqQ

http://youtu.be/ZRd3lrukxu8

• Like 1

Stories like these are truly amazing. I think the reason people like bulveye think the way they do is because from early on we are told EVERYTHING is a potential threat. If we approach other animals the correct way I think that MOST animals would respond with equal calmness. We see stories like these time and time again (my favorite by far is christian the lion). Now I'm not saying anyone should go out and try to pet a wild lion, bear etc but I'm also not saying we should be terrified of them either.

Nature is often so cruel, savage, raw, and unpredictable, but sometimes it can be the total opposite and it is then we get so amazed. All those "impossible" friendships that happens sometimes are awe-inspiring. Like these two>>

[media=]

I partially agree that a 'tame' and well fed wild animal that has had lots of good contact with people could be safe to be around as long as you remember to respect it. But on the other side of the coin you have people that are slightly deluded and project a level of anthropomorphism onto wild animals. The most well known example I can think of is Timothy Treadwell, who lived out in the wild with bears. There is a fascinating documentary called 'Grizzly Man' by Werner Herzog about Timothy and it shows the compassion and love a human can have for nature, but it is ,unfortunately for Timothy, a stark reminder that nature is unpredictable and often cruel in its fight to survive.