Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

April 5 Mass UFO Hoax

Ashyne

I completely forgot about the planned hoax until now when I suddenly remembered it. Was it ever carried out? I can't find any news about it,

I completely forgot about the planned hoax until now when I suddenly remembered it. Was it ever carried out? I can't find any news about it,

If you cant find any news, the chances are it didn't occur!

I think even the best hoaxsters have a limit. While it might be reasonably easy to enlist several people you know as corroborative 'witnesses' (like they did for the Jerusalem one not that long ago) and the opportunities for video editing, photoshoppery and using RC craft are now pretty awesome.. to set something up that crosses borders would be exceptionally difficult without someone 'leaking'..,

Not to mention that there are quite a few very competent investigators on forums like these (so I'm told), and getting one past them will be really difficult. I believe (cough) that they even have techniques available that have not yet been revealed to Joe Public. So faking both imagery and story and provenance is now VERY hard to do...

I mean you only have to look around. Imagine anyone trying to slip one past the Z-man... that could never happen. :)

But then again.. look at how many folks have so far fooled Penn and Teller!! There's always hope..

• Like 1

Here's the previous thread for anyone who's not familiar with the story.

http://www.unexplain...howtopic=262816

• Like 1

Mass hoaxes are hard to pull off. Hoaxing is almost always a solitary pursuit. The more people involved, the more likely someone will screw up and ruin the whole thing.

Having multiple people involved is only worth it if you want multiple identified and apparently independent witnesses to present the hoax to the media to give it credibility. It is very difficult to recruit people who don't have a connection with the rest of the group (not that the media will ask). If some snoop figures out it, the whole scam is ruined.

If you don't want to go to the media, the other option is to fool others into doing it for you. One possibility was having several people across the country build RC airplanes with a distinctive light pattern and fly them over scattered populated areas. But all you need is one guy to crash his plane and the jig is up.

If you travel a lot, here's a better idea. Take your UFO with you and fake photos of it where ever you go. Take shots with lots of different cameras. Include identifiable landmarks. Then when your trip is over, make fake IDs for each location and post one every few days. Suckers will see an undeniable "pattern" as the craft is seen in several successive locations. As I showed, all you need to bring is a powerful flash and something covered in aluminum foil. I'm sure someone with more arts and crafts skills can do better than that.

• Like 1

I spent two hours looking for any weird lights. Final tally: three airplanes (I live fairly close to the airport) and a malfunctioning OPEN sign. Was I the only one?

When I go camping out in what's supposed to be the middle of nowhere, I'm amazed at how much stuff is flying over my head these days. I was used to seeing jets at high altitudes (there are many more than twenty years ago) but I can't believe how many satellites I can see in one night now. On our last trip we counted seven in just two hours, mostly travelling north-south. If we didn't know what they were, we would naturally assume they were alien spacecraft on nefarious missions!

• Like 1

I spent two hours looking for any weird lights. Final tally: three airplanes (I live fairly close to the airport) and a malfunctioning OPEN sign. Was I the only one?

Don't bother looking for lights. Try looking during the day. You can't tell a whole lot from night lights.

When I go camping out in what's supposed to be the middle of nowhere, I'm amazed at how much stuff is flying over my head these days. I was used to seeing jets at high altitudes (there are many more than twenty years ago) but I can't believe how many satellites I can see in one night now. On our last trip we counted seven in just two hours, mostly travelling north-south. If we didn't know what they were, we would naturally assume they were alien spacecraft on nefarious missions!

You are probably mistaking them for UFO's. :alien:

You are probably mistaking them for UFO's. :alien:

No, unlike you I've been on enough camping trips (some with employed astronomers) to know what a satellite looks like.

No, unlike you I've been on enough camping trips (some with employed astronomers) to know what a satellite looks like.

vlcsnap-2014-01-19-15h42m47s95.png

My God, are you actually arguing that the dots that I see travelling exactly east-west or exactly north-south in the night sky on every camping trip are freaking flying saucers?

Please tell me you're not that foolish.

My God, are you actually arguing that the dots that I see travelling exactly east-west or exactly north-south in the night sky on every camping trip are freaking flying saucers?

Please tell me you're not that foolish.

One must always challenge one's assumptions.

And this was 2005....

Edited by Sakari
  • Like 1

So a flying saucer or two could slip right into that mess and not be noticed! :w00t:

Oh, I am sure they do..... :whistle: