Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Fastest animal in the world

DieChecker

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2616013/The-fastest-animal-world-Tiny-Californian-mite-beat-cheetah-size-least.html

Paratarsotomus macropalpis is no bigger than a sesame seed

Was recently recorded running at up to 322 body lengths per second

Cheetah running at 60 miles per hour attains only about 16 body lengths per second

Equivalent to a person running roughly 1300 miles per hour

I wish there was a video....

• Like 2

wooow if the Paratarsotomus Macropalpis was the size of an adult human, it would run 1300 mph?? :-*

then it would run around the equator of the earth in less than 7 hours :w00t:

obviously if we were to be small as the critter, it would go WWWWWHOOOOSSSSH past us, you wouldn't ever know what past us.

...it would run 1300 mph?? :-* then it would run around the equator of the earth in less than 7 hours :w00t:

No, but in 19,15hrs. :yes:

(24898 / 1300)

(24898 / 1300)

Maybe he meant Mercury. :tu:

(9400 / 1300)

Anyway you better know where you are going, or it could end very badly !

Edited by Noteverythingisaconspiracy
  • Like 1

While waiting for the page to load I was thinking how I was going to explain to my son that the Cheetah had lost its title and what the hell had changed ovenight for such a story to emerge...

Then I read 'scale speed'... :td:

What a crock!!

• Like 4

Sorry, but these silly 'upscalings' are often ridiculous. Things like that do not scale up linearly - if they did, why don't we all float around in the air like dust motes? Why can't we walk on water like skater bugs? Etc ad infinitum..

Yes, it's fast. But NO - if it was the size of a human, all sorts of things would prevent it from having any hope of traveling anywhere near that rate.

Sorry, but these silly 'upscalings' are often ridiculous. Things like that do not scale up linearly - if they did, why don't we all float around in the air like dust motes? Why can't we walk on water like skater bugs? Etc ad infinitum..

Yes, it's fast. But NO - if it was the size of a human, all sorts of things would prevent it from having any hope of traveling anywhere near that rate.

• Like 4

Is there an echo in here?

• Like 3

Hrmph... When I first started composing my whine, your post wasn't there, JC..

OK, I will admit that before I finally posted it, I did see your addition, but was I gunna throw all that hard work and literary genius away, just coz we agree?.... :no: :D

• Like 5

Hrmph... When I first started composing my whine, your post wasn't there, JC..

OK, I will admit that before I finally posted it, I did see your addition, but was I gunna throw all that hard work and literary genius away, just coz we agree?.... :no::D

Lol sorry ChrLzs, the echo wasn't about the content of your post being similar to mine. It was because you posted the same content twice in your post ;)

Lol sorry ChrLzs, the echo wasn't about the content of your post being similar to mine. It was because you posted the same content twice in your post ;)

• Like 5

Sorry, but these silly 'upscalings' are often ridiculous.

They are, indeed. What I`m missing in the article is how much would a 747 weight if sized down to the size of a Paratarsotomus macropalpis.

• Like 1

While waiting for the page to load I was thinking how I was going to explain to my son that the Cheetah had lost its title and what the hell had changed ovenight for such a story to emerge...

What a crock!!

I agree. Confronted with the "speedy mite" or a Cheetah, I'd be more worried about trying to get away from the Cheetah.
  • Like 1

(24898 / 1300)

Imagine running west clocking that speed starting a few hours after dusk. You would litterally make a sunrise out of sunset. I think it would anyway.

Edited by :PsYKoTiC:BeHAvIoR:

Vying for a Darwin Award ... individuals you would not want to be associated with in a survival situation involving the speed of an on-coming predator.

What a crock!!

Exactly what I was thinking. While driving in the car my son will say "Let's go cheetah speed Dad!" meaning 70MPH (that is the speed he has determined a cheetah can travel at for a short time based on a NatGeo short). I can't see him saying let's go Mite speed. :w00t:

• Like 1

(24898 / 1300)

yes, apologizes, my maths was loosely based on the diameter of the earth, my bad

Another Lame article...by the same measure, there are several spiders and other insects that would demolish the land speed of the cheetah when scaled up...

I agree. Confronted with the "speedy mite" or a Cheetah, I'd be more worried about trying to get away from the Cheetah.

Probably not much to worry about, unlike Lions, Cheetahs don't view humans as a prey item. Now if you were a Thompson's Gazelle, that's a different story.

Math time!

I estimate its size at about 0.25 cm. It move at 322 body lengths per second. That means it moves about 8 cm/sec. That's .08 m/sec. 4.8 meters per minute. 288 meters per hour. 0.288 km/hr. That's less than a fifth of a mile per hour--about twenty times slower than a person walking.

Relative speed? Sure, it's stupid fast. Absolute speed? Not even in the picture.

• Like 1

Probably not much to worry about, unlike Lions, Cheetahs don't view humans as a prey item. Now if you were a Thompson's Gazelle, that's a different story.

Absolutely incorrect...unlike Cheetahs (which are pretty much the size of a grown adult) Lions will and have been known to attack and actively seek out and attack humans as prey.

unlike Lions, Cheetahs don't view humans as a prey item.

Absolutely incorrect...unlike Cheetahs... Lions will and have been known to attack and actively seek out and attack humans as prey.

Umm. I think these are basically the same statement.

• Like 2

Absolutely incorrect...unlike Cheetahs (which are pretty much the size of a grown adult) Lions will and have been known to attack and actively seek out and attack humans as prey.

That is what Sundew is saying, that Cheetahs do not attack humans, unlike Lions which have been known to attack humans.