Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Republicans block minimum wage increase bill

questionmark

The Senate voted on Wednesday against going ahead on a bill that would gradually increase the federal minimum wage from $7.25 an hour to $10.10 an hour, another rejection for legislation that has been a major focus of the Democrats' 2014 midterm campaign.

The final vote count was 54 to 42, with Senate Majority Leader Harry M. Reid (D-Nev.), who supports the legislation, taking the procedural step of voting against the bill so that he can reintroduce it at a later time.

In a news conference following the vote, top Democrats vowed to reintroduce the bill this year.

Read more

Nice trick, to reintroduce the bill with some measure of success they need a majority. The Reps just gave the Dems the theme for the midterms....

Edited by questionmark

dirty politics or not, what would it accomplish? if min wage goes up so are prices, i do not get min wage, so my pay wont go up, but prices would go up for me. why would i want that????

• Like 3

dirty politics or not, what would it accomplish? if min wage goes up so are prices, i do not get min wage, so my pay wont go up, but prices would go up for me. why would i want that????

Once upon a time, the minimum wage could support a person. Nowadays you need at least two minimum wage jobs to do that.

Incidentally, prices in Oz are roughly the same as those in America despite us having a minimum wage that is TWICE that of Americas.

• Like 1

. Nowadays you need at least two minimum wage jobs to do that.

or 1 job that is not min wage.

many things are different in Oz. can't really use it as example for usa.

actually it may be even worst for you, since your min wage income may go over the min allowed for medicaid, and food stamps. so someone who was paid $ 7, but was getting medicaid, and food stamps, now would not be getting it, and would have to buy medical policy, or pay fine.

you do not really think those limits will change as well right away?

Edited by aztek

Once upon a time, the minimum wage could support a person. Nowadays you need at least two minimum wage jobs to do that.

Incidentally, prices in Oz are roughly the same as those in America despite us having a minimum wage that is TWICE that of Americas.

What? And you don't have 300% of inflation? YOU MUST BE CHEATING! :innocent:

What? And you don't have 300% of inflation? YOU MUST BE CHEATING! :innocent:

the only thing running rampant in Oz is patent stupidity.

• Like 2

actually it may be even worst for you, since your min wage income may go over the min allowed for medicaid, and food stamps. so someone who was paid $ 7, but was getting medicaid, and food stamps, now would not be getting it, and would have to buy medical policy, or pay fine.

I think that is the whole point. People working full time shouldn't be on the government dole. Unless you are happy with a country that pays full time workers welfare (as well as subsidizing companies that employ them), something has to change.

Individual cities and states have the right to override it if they so desire. In a lot of rural areas the minimum wage is sufficient, but not in the larger cities.

Nice trick, to reintroduce the bill with some measure of success they need a majority. The Reps just gave the Dems the theme for the midterms....

The dems made something they knew wouldn't pass because they wanted something for the midterms. It was their plan.

Edited by spartan max2

You're absolutely right. Why expect private industry to pay a wage that everyone can live on without govt handouts - I mean, it's not like you live in a free-market capitalism now, is it?

Edited by Leonardo

Don't be silly, the dems gave themselves the theme.

• Introduce bill, attach riders that are just stupid.
  • After bills fails do to stupid riders blame the other party

our government is ridiculous.

• Like 1

Min wage here does go over that. I could not get any assistence on min. wage when the companyI worked for shut down. Min. wage here is a joke.

Not to mention, States do not have to abide by federal min.wage. Many States min. wage is lower.

One of the things MLK was marching for in 1962 was a national minimum wage of $2.00 an hour. Adjusting for inflation that equals $15.00 an hour today.

yup.. that's what i thought when it was first proposed..... the Dems knew the Pubs would block it.

The pubs use the same trick, at times, .. but theirs is usually dressed like a tax cut. lol These clowns are getting predictable.

• Like 1

Not to mention, States do not have to abide by federal min.wage. Many States min. wage is lower.

States do have to abide by the Federal minimum wage. Some of them haven't amended the state laws on the books, but Federal minimum wage is paid and enforced.

Here are the facts, in case there is any question...

http://www.dol.gov/dol/topic/wages/minimumwage.htm

The federal minimum wage for covered nonexempt employees is $7.25 per hour effective July 24, 2009. The federal minimum wage provisions are contained in the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA). Many states also have minimum wage laws. In cases where an employee is subject to both the state and federal minimum wage laws, the employee is entitled to the higher of the two minimum wages.

Edited by Michelle

States do have to abide by the Federal minimum wage. Some of them haven't amended the state laws on the books, but Federal minimum wage is paid and enforced.

Here are the facts, in case there is any question...

http://www.dol.gov/d...minimumwage.htm

The federal minimum wage for covered nonexempt employees is $7.25 per hour effective July 24, 2009. The federal minimum wage provisions are contained in the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA). Many states also have minimum wage laws. In cases where an employee is subject to both the state and federal minimum wage laws, the employee is entitled to the higher of the two minimum wages.

I am a dumb ass, or have no memory.....

This came from Oregon. I had it backwards 100%......Thank You Michelle.

I should have said some States have a higher min. wage.....For some reason I remembered a poster showing the state and federal min. wage, and thought the state was lower.....My bad.

The Northwest states are the first to require employers pay more than $9 hourly. The federal minimum wage remains $7.25.

Nearly 98,000 Oregon jobs paid $8.95 an hour or less this year -- meaning workers holding those jobs will see bigger paychecks starting Jan. 1.

In all, about 150,000 jobs paid up to $9.10, the new minimum wage starting next year.

I wonder why the republicans never want to help anyone but the rich?

Here's a possible story if some republican(s) were to get elected as president: a woman gets pregnant and has a child. She makes min wage, trying to support herself and that child. She never had any special skills which would enable her to get a higher than min. wage job. She gets food stamp assistance, but still, that doesn't help a whole lot when it comes to her bills and gas to put in her car, because she makes so little. She then gets pregnant again, accidentally, a year later, when she is still barely making ends meet. She wants to get an abortion but the republicans in power have made that illegal, so she now has to pay for another child, all on min wage. She is then in financial ruin due to the whacko laws and rules the republicans have.

Not saying this has happened, but it just shows what could if a republican was elected as president.

The Democrats knew this would happen; they merely wasted a good deal of Senate time on a political gesture because they knew it would get folk like you excited.

• Like 2

Yeah the Dems pretty much pulled a good one on the Repubs with this old favorite, a nice ace card played in politics, but it was the Repubs while in office from 2000 to 2008 who let all this crap get to this point. It's now one of those things that has come back to bite them in the ass.

If Repubs had told Bush NO to a long drawn out war, just find Osama an kill him with a seal team, never mind going after Saddam with the whole fringin' U.S. Army, and stop these greedy crony banks from pulling fast ones on the population, the economy would still be stable right now and most people would still have their jobs having been satisfied for the most part; with the Repubs still holding a majority of Congress along with the White House. But no, they had to let a free-for-all of Crony Capitalism go rampant and a god forsaken costly war bring down a stable economy. And now here we are, watching back and forth cutthroat politics among them and us, causing all of us to be sick of everything and divided over what should be done politically.

Oh the good times we're all gonna have with the next 2 and half years. Oh boy! I bet everybody is just overjoyed with glee! :tu:

• Like 1

The Democrats knew this would happen; they merely wasted a good deal of Senate time on a political gesture because they knew it would get folk like you excited.

I'm not excited, but why block a min. wage increase at all? I'm glad they wasted senate time to get this out there, at least they really are trying to help people.

I'm not excited, but why block a min. wage increase at all? I'm glad they wasted senate time to get this out there, at least they really are trying to help people.

Do you really think we want to block it to help the rich? I guess half the country just wants to help the rich...

We want to block it because it will hurt the very people it is aimed to help.

You dont have to agree but try to understand the motive instead of saying propaganda phrases.

• Like 1

Do you really think we want to block it to help the rich? I guess half the country just wants to help the rich...

We want to block it because it will hurt the very people it is aimed to help.

You dont have to agree but try to understand the motive instead of saying propaganda phrases.

Haha!! Really, people making more money would hurt them? Excuse me?! Lol sure prices of things may rise soon after, but at least during that time those people could save money, or spend the extra amount they make and stimulate the economy.

Haha!! Really, people making more money would hurt them? Excuse me?

Raise min. wage, the value of everyone elses wage will decrease as the prices of goods and services increase...

• Like 2