Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Firefox 29.0

Bendy Demon

I just updated my Firefox Browser and was rather surprised, if not a touch dismayed, on how they changed the browsers appearance.

It's design is similar to Chrome now and the flexibility for customizing the toolbar has been greatly reduced. The Stop/Reload button is no longer two separate buttons but now just one. The forward and back button are part of the URL bar and the Home, Download and others are mere icons whose size cannot be changed unless you install a special add-on.

I liked having my icons large enough to easily see and use PLUS having text below it. I know it is not a big thing for some but I just like having individual buttons to do things.

I will still use FF as it is a great browser but I am just not pleased with their changes; I am not pleased with the new layout for the Malwarebytes program either and Avast changed their layout too.

What is with some of these developers that they change a nice, clean layout into something that looks rather...well, unsightly in my view?

I know I need to keep these programs updated but sometimes the changes to the graphical layout and sometimes the functionality leaves me a tad cold.

• Like 3

Yeah..I looked into that already and I might try it.

I just am not impressed with the Chrome-emulation not the combining of buttons into the URL bar.

But what really burns my marshmallows is the loss of flexibility when it comes to customizing the toolbars.Having a decent icon with text under it really helps, especially for my father who sometimes has problems seeing the tiny icons.

Anyway..thanks for replying.

I like it. The huge interface is more condensed now and I have a bigger window for the actual websites, yay! Now I only need an update for the Tab Mix Plus plug-in.

• Like 1

By the way, does anyone here use a browser called "Palemoon"..I read about it in a response from the article that Child of Bast posted.

Obviously Mozilla wanted to give a fresh new chrome-like style to the firefox browser. The menu tab as well as some other features are now identical to that of Google Chrome. Bt as far as I know, you can still costumize a lot and put every icon where you want them to be unlike Chrome.

Well the reason is very likely that chrome is a praised browser, that keeps rising in popularity and that many former Firfox users have switched over to Google for the sleek and polished look of Chrome. Mozilla is probably attempting to get some of these users back.

I am surprised you did not see it coming though. It was announced for quite a while on various tech websites, and ''Firefox Australis'' as it is dubbed, made its way slowly but surely from one channel to another to finally land on the ''stable'' one.

Edited by sam_comm
  • Like 1

I am surprised you did not see it coming though. It was announced for quite a while on various tech websites, and ''Firefox Australis'' as it is dubbed, made its way slowly but surely from one channel to another to finally land on the ''stable'' one.

I don't visit tech websites hardly at all so that is why I am "out of the loop" so to speak.

Chrome, which is owned by Google, is apparently rife with codes that allow plenty of backdoors for snooping and if you install Chrome then you may a well have a neon sign that says "Come spy on me". Google was not shy about admitting to what it does either.

Anyway, I downloaded a add-on called ToolBar Button Pack so I can have a little more flexibility. I realize it is nothing to you but for me I like having the choice of large or small icons as well as either text or graphic icons or even both.

See..what FF also wanted to do is streamline stuff so it is more accessible for touch pads or whatever which is fine, I suppose but not all of us use touch screens or touch pads. It's not that I want to be a old fart about it but I prefer functionality and flexibility over something that miniaturizes things so they can be crammed into a tiny space.

I also like to have some choices and flexibility, not be force-fed something then told it is really for my own good.

At any rate, I can adapt and I will still use FireFox but I am also looking for back-up browsers so I might try Pale Moon or something.

Thanks

Everything is getting dumbed-down. I haven't updated Firefox yet, will it update by itself?

Everything is getting dumbed-down. I haven't updated Firefox yet, will it update by itself?

Well...it might depending on if you have it set to automatically download and install updates. I usually opt to do it manually.

Yup, it just updated itself.

Ok...then you should have the lastest version which is 29.0

Why not just use shortcut keys? They are fairly consistent across different versions independent of UI changes.

Why not just use shortcut keys? They are fairly consistent across different versions independent of UI changes.

Because shortcut keys are a pain in the nether regions to memorize and to be honest, one shouldn't have to rely on shortcut keys or download add-ons to give the browser the basic flexibility it should have had already.

P.S: Cool name you have.

• Like 1

I use the Firefox portable version; it doesn't seem to have updated itself (yet).

At any rate, I can adapt and I will still use FireFox but I am also looking for back-up browsers so I might try Pale Moon or something.

Yep, Thanks for Firefox being an open-source browser, there are other browser projects which are based on Firefox. One of them is the Pale moon browser. Nearly all extensions compatible with Firefox will work on it.

I've read that the developper of Pale Moon will not go for the new chrome-like Australis interface. So if you can't bear Firefox 29.0, that can become an option for you to consider. It's for Windows XP/Vista/7/8 and I think they have something for Linux as well.

You can find the project here: http://www.palemoon.org/

Hope that helps!

Edited by sam_comm

Thanks. I actually have the site bookmarked so I might install it someday so I can use both FF and Pale Moon side-by-side to see how they feel.

Edited: as of writing this edit I am using Pale Moon and so far I am liking it. I have the customization flexibility now that FF used to have.

It's great. Thanks sam-comm

Edited by Ryu
  • Like 1

But what really burns my marshmallows

Sorry Ryu, but that made me giggle. :P Glad you found something more suited to your tastes. I might give Pale Moon a whirl myself. :)

What is nice is if you download form the Pale Moon site itself..you can also download a utility that lets you import settings and stuff from FF; apparently most FF add-ons work on Pale Moon too.

Yeah..my marshmallows are still burning. :P

• Like 1

You sure like 'em crispy, don'tcha? LOL

You sure like 'em crispy, don'tcha? LOL

It's the only way to eat em'. :D

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Anybody having problems with XML besides me?

When Firefox gave me its new version, several of my favorite add ons stopped working so I put my computer back to the previous day's configuration and turned off the automatic upgrade.

They seem to have a more commercial attitude and don't like ad-blockers. That will drive people way in droves if they don't change.

I switched to Pale Moon over the weekend. At first it seemed super slow, but things got smoothed out and I have to say I like it.

Firefox updated itself recently to 29.0. Why does a new tab sometimes suddenly become a blank page while I'm reading? It's frustrating.

Firefox updated itself recently to 29.0. Why does a new tab sometimes suddenly become a blank page while I'm reading? It's frustrating.

I had this happen a couple of times and I just don't know why it does that. I thought maybe I was accidentally clicking something.

I just miss having the separate icons for doing stuff and dislike having the "Stop" and "Reload" icon inside the URL bar...it is so tiny....

I switched to Pale Moon over the weekend. At first it seemed super slow, but things got smoothed out and I have to say I like it.

What is cool is that Pale Moon has a utility that you can download which transfers your Firefox profile over to Pale Moon since it also can use FF's add-ons too.

Anybody having problems with XML besides me?

Is it in conjunction with Pale Moon or just any browser?

They seem to have a more commercial attitude and don't like ad-blockers. That will drive people way in droves if they don't change.

Kind of weird since they offer Adblock Plus as one of their many add-ons.

I still do not like this idea of having to download add-ons that do what the previous FireFox version did on its own. I even had to load a add-on that restored a few Java selections. Not good.

If FireFox does not clean up its act and make it user friendly again they are going to really ruin their reputation.

I originally went to FF because I disliked Internet Explorer as it was so huge, bulky and a memory hog. I also disliked all the vulnerabilities it had security-wise.

FF was the perfect solution but now it had to go and emulate Chrome in more ways than one.

Anywhoo, Pale Moon takes a few seconds to start just like FF but I don't mind so long as it is flexible and more easily customizable.

Edited by Ryu