Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

sonic boom

ysabel81

Hi guys just eant to share with you my experience about 8months ago

I just arrived from work and i was waiting for my house help who was preparing my dinner.i decided to hang out in the porch with my dogs.then suddenly i heard a loud boom sound from the sky i checked it out but theres no fireworks at that time.i assumed it was an transformer that exploded so i waited for a power interruption but there was no power outage. So i just ignored it then proceeded to have dinner.then last month came from work again i was waiting for my dinner so i was at my car getting some of my stuff i heard this loud boom again i chk it again but theres no fireworks nir poweroutages. Its like the sound came from the sky.so guys just want to get ur rcomment and can you provideplausible explanation whats going on thanks i will really appreciate serious and not so serious comments.thanks

It could be a gunshot. Sometimes I hear big booms as well that seem to come from the sky, but it learned that there's some people down the valley that go hunting and shooting, and that it was just gunshots I was hearing.

• Like 1

No its not a gunshot coz a sound of a gunshot has a sharp sound.and my father is a cop and so as my brother. We gi target shooting sometimes. This one is really loud. Anyways thanks 4d reply

When I was a kid in the 1950s (The Jet Age) we used to hear sonic booms occasionally from jet planes. Really loud, like a close thunder clap only spread out in the entire sky. They would rattle windows and knock nicknacks off shelves.

I think they were 'outlawed' later as people complained about them.

• Like 1

When I was a kid in the 1950s (The Jet Age) we used to hear sonic booms occasionally from jet planes. Really loud, like a close thunder clap only spread out in the entire sky. They would rattle windows and knock nicknacks off shelves.

I think they were 'outlawed' later as people complained about them.

there were no planes flying in those times that heard this sonic boom or maybe they fly so fast that i didnt see hihihi

there were no planes flying in those times that heard this sonic boom or maybe they fly so fast that i didnt see hihihi

true but Sonic Boom development was underway in the 50s, also the Starfighter was a Sonic Boomer

I'd say a comet and you dont need to see an aircraft to hear a sonic boom

• Like 1

I just arrived from work and i was waiting for my house help who was preparing my dinner.i decided to hang out in the porch with my dogs.then suddenly i heard a loud boom sound from the sky i checked it out but theres no fireworks at that time.i assumed it was an transformer that exploded so i waited for a power interruption but there was no power outage. So i just ignored it then proceeded to have dinner.then last month came from work again i was waiting for my dinner so i was at my car getting some of my stuff i heard this loud boom again i chk it again but theres no fireworks nir poweroutages. Its like the sound came from the sky.so guys just want to get ur rcomment and can you provideplausible explanation whats going on thanks i will really appreciate serious and not so serious comments.thanks

Sounds like sonic booms by aircrafts. Where are you living? Country/area?

Phillipines,the sky was clear st that time there were no planes

And if they wete i will definitely hear them because from d location i lived planes pass but i dont hear any sonic boom if they pass by.i lived in this place for about 5 yrs this only happen 2x.

Phillipines,the sky was clear st that time there were no planes

And if they wete i will definitely hear them because from d location i lived planes pass but i dont hear any sonic boom if they pass by.i lived in this place for about 5 yrs this only happen 2x.

Ok, but when you don`t know what it is, why do you named yr thread "sonic boom" as this event explains itself? :blink:

Edited by toast

Coz it sounds like a sonic boom from aircraft but theres no plane flying at that time nor an exploding electric transformer

Ok, but when you don`t know what it is, why do you named yr thread "sonic boom" as this event explains itself? :blink:

coz the sound was the same as a sonic boom.from a plane.

thats why am asking if anybody can explain how sonic boom can be generated without any plane on sight.and i see planes all the time and i dont hear any. Very loud boom sound when they pasd by my area get it...

Edited by ysabel81

coz the sound was the same as a sonic boom.from a plane. thats why am asking if anybody can explain how sonic boom can

be generated without any plane on sight.and i see planes all the time and i dont hear any. Very loud boom sound when they

pasd by my area get it...

The non visibility of the air craft does not exclude that the boom was caused by an A/C. Commercial A/C are visible as they are

hudge (e.g. Boeing 777 is 70x60meters) compared to a military super sonic A/C (e.g. F16 is 15x10meters) and commercial A/C

are mostly painted in white color, military A/C are not due to camouflage purposes. Assuming a military A/C breaks the sound

barrier at an altitude of 10.000meters, the boom will take 29 seconds to reach the ground (you). In this 29 seconds the A/C make

a distance of approx 10km, means 660 times its length so you cannot spot it at the direction where you think the boom was

originated from.

Recapitulatory I would say the topic matches the event, so file closed.

Edited by toast
  • Like 2

How can a sonic boom first be mistaken for fireworks?

Sorry, I'm trying to understand in detail what you heard. Toast explained it really well. But I want to ask you live near hills or mountains? is there a building site near you? do you live near a busy area? are you in countryside? Do you live near any military bases? Do you hava any sports and outdoor activities going on there?

• Like 1

Mistpouffers are unexplained reports that sound like a cannon or a sonic boom. They have been heard in many waterfront communities around the world such as the banks of the river Ganges in India, the East Coast and inland Finger Lakes of the United States, as well as areas of the North Sea, Japan and Italy; and sometimes away from water.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mistpouffers

You may also want to google 'Senica Guns'.

The comments on this video are also interesting.

Objects entering the atmosphere make a sonic boom, such as meteors (or maybe junk). It's not that uncommon. You can hear it from the ground if they are big enough and your in the right place.

Edited by Finity
  • Like 1

That is funny

Did you startle you, did it make you flinch or anything when you heard it?

It could be a gunshot. Sometimes I hear big booms as well that seem to come from the sky, but it learned that there's some people down the valley that go hunting and shooting, and that it was just gunshots I was hearing.

So do you think someone might hear a rifle fired 100 yards away, seems it would be easily recognizable wouldn't you think?

Edited by 029b10

How can a sonic boom first be mistaken for fireworks?

Sorry, I'm trying to understand in detail what you heard. Toast explained it really well. But I want to ask you live near hills or mountains? is there a building site near you? do you live near a busy area? are you in countryside? Do you live near any military bases? Do you hava any sports and outdoor activities going on there?

o lived in a flat suburban area no tall buildings its a flat residential and factory area.sometimes fireworks can make that kind of sound esp the big one the one that you use during new years eve.thats why i checked if there were fireworks. Gunshots have a sharp sound.this one was a loud boom.there were no planes in sight.
  • Like 1