Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The strange behaviour of a pheasant!

JJ50

Our previous property was next to a river meadow where pheasants were bred for a local shoot. I used to take daily walks in the field and normally the pheasants would scatter to the four winds when approached, which is what one would expect. However not long before we moved home in 2012, I was on my way back from my walk when I was approached by a pheasant! It squawked at me in pheasant 'speak' as if it was trying to chat, and accompanied me all the way home. I found this very strange indeed. I went indoors and told my disbelieving husband what had happened. He changed his mind however when he saw my pheasant looking in through the French windows of our lounge, as if it was waiting for me. I went out with my camera and it posed for a photo.

A day or two later when taking another walk in the river meadow, from the other side of the meadow was a squawking and what I presumed to be my pheasant came running towards me, its compatriots were running and flying away from me. We had a 'chat' and this time it didn't follow me home. I encountered the pheasant once more, but that was it. There was a shoot a few days later, I would have been upset if my 'friend' had succumbed to the guns!

post-147697-0-85870500-1398941457_thumb.

I used to live fairly close to a big game farm where the State of New York raised pheasants that were then released throughout the state. There were always several that found their way back to the area, hung out, and were quite friendly and approachable. They seem to be pretty social birds.

• Like 1

I used to live fairly close to a big game farm where the State of New York raised pheasants that were then released throughout the state. There were always several that found their way back to the area, hung out, and were quite friendly and approachable. They seem to be pretty social birds.

Wild turkeys seem pretty tame too. In the fall I often have one approach me and hang for a bit. Maybe they know I'm a vegetarian :yes:

Looking at it in a magical way, pheasants symbolise abundance and good things coming your way. That's the explanation for pheasants appearing in dreams. A pheasant befriended you and something was making it like you. What a nice picture :)

Edited by Rogue Suga

Looking at it in a magical way.....

Why would you need to do that?

• Like 1

Another odd experience I have just remembered. We had a bird table set up at our previous property which attracted squirrels as well as birds. One day there was a tapping on the patio doors and there was a squirrel on its hind legs seemingly trying to attract our attention. When I went to the door it ran to the bird table which was empty, and ran back to the door again. I got the message and put some bread on the bird table and the squirrel happily consumed the feast! :yes:

Another odd experience I have just remembered. We had a bird table set up at our previous property which attracted squirrels as well as birds. One day there was a tapping on the patio doors and there was a squirrel on its hind legs seemingly trying to attract our attention. When I went to the door it ran to the bird table which was empty, and ran back to the door again. I got the message and put some bread on the bird table and the squirrel happily consumed the feast! :yes:

We had a squirrel that would tap on the patio doors when the bird feeder was empty!

I took a photo of the squirrel tapping on the door but I am unable to find it, which is a shame. As one of his home schooling assignments I asked our Down's Syndrome son to write up the story and send it with the photo to a magazine who published it. :yes:

The squirrel story is cute and fairytale-ish (thinking of Disney films).

You attract a lot of animals.

Why would you need to do that?

It's the way of it.

We have squirrels that come top the patio door for peanuts. Sometimes they knock but most of the time they just stare at us or tease the cat. They are all chunky so we probably aren't the only people feeding them.

Edited by Merc14

I had squirrels all over my yard and wanted to see how long it would take to get one to eat out of my hand. They're smart little critters. It took about two days before I could walk out calling them and they would make a flying leap onto the porch before coming forward and taking a peanut from me.

• Like 1

We have squirrels that come top the patio door for peanuts. Sometimes they knock but most of the time they just stare at us or tease the cat. They are all chunky so we probably aren't the only people feeding them.

I know where to come if im ever passing through Virginia and fancy a cashew!

I met a friendly pheasant once, on the A59 in clitheroe.

Made a right mess.